Environment/Crafter Pixel Art

Started by
3 comments, last by Azkanan 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys, looking for some feedback on some art I'm doing for an upcoming game.

6UqPZ.png

Coastal Conversion

Here you can see the player has started converting natural coastline on the river.

6Usn6.png

Large Leather Tent

This I know needs some more work put into it, but I'm not sure how to go about texturing leather.

6UsuQ.png

6UsB3.png

Drying Racks

After hunting/trapping an animal, this player has skinned the animal and strung the skin to dry.

6UspY.png

Canoe Yard

To build large movable objects, for example, carts, canoes, coracles, wheelbarrows, ships, etc. the player must build "Yards".

6Usrv.png

Mining

The player can dig down into the ground to form a mining shaft. These can be further supported for longevity and stability. However, if a miner strikes an pressuring aquifier, body of water, etc. the mine can subsequently flood.

6Usxc.png

Advertisement

Looks good! My advice for the tent would be to focus on adding a few stretch marks. Since its leather, the streches will be longer and more spread apart. You're canoe yard could also benefit from a tad less lighting on the legs, helping it look a bit more 3d. Keep up the good work!

It only takes one video game to change the world.

Looks very nice, I really like your terrain textures like the grass and the water.

My advice is to be more consistent in your shadow work. The tent roof looks a little too flat compared to the rest, like the front of the tent, it has a lot more shadows and highlights. Also the cliff has a very straight shape compared to the border of the water.

If you take a look at these cliffs you see that they have a more organic shape like you did with the border of the water:

http://hqwide.com/wallpapers/l/1920x1080/12/video_games_earthbound_onett_16_bit_ness_mother_2_1920x1080_11329.jpg

Your art looks nice! I especially like the mine shafts.

Part of the issue with the tent is that it's not shaded. Even the smaller tent has half the roof shaded differently than the other half. Though, I'd shade it gradiently instead of half being a single color and half being a slightly darker color. On the side opposite the sun, the tent roof should be darker near the top and brighten out as it flattens out.

The tent flaps might also be a little too grainy.

Looks good! My advice for the tent would be to focus on adding a few stretch marks. Since its leather, the streches will be longer and more spread apart. You're canoe yard could also benefit from a tad less lighting on the legs, helping it look a bit more 3d. Keep up the good work!

Yeah I've just realised that I've actually got the shading reversed on the canoe yard's legs. :(

Looks very nice, I really like your terrain textures like the grass and the water.

My advice is to be more consistent in your shadow work. The tent roof looks a little too flat compared to the rest, like the front of the tent, it has a lot more shadows and highlights. Also the cliff has a very straight shape compared to the border of the water.

If you take a look at these cliffs you see that they have a more organic shape like you did with the border of the water:

http://hqwide.com/wallpapers/l/1920x1080/12/video_games_earthbound_onett_16_bit_ness_mother_2_1920x1080_11329.jpg

Thanks! I love my water, too! :D Tent shading addressed in next quote. :)

As for the cliff,s that's just down to bad mapping. The area was just to demonstrate the cliff as a tile.

Your art looks nice! I especially like the mine shafts.

Part of the issue with the tent is that it's not shaded. Even the smaller tent has half the roof shaded differently than the other half. Though, I'd shade it gradiently instead of half being a single color and half being a slightly darker color. On the side opposite the sun, the tent roof should be darker near the top and brighten out as it flattens out.

The tent flaps might also be a little too grainy.

The tent flap is definitely too grainy. It started out as following shading techniques, but seems to have gone a little haywire. As for the roof, I know it needed shading but I wasn't sure how - but you nailed it. Shaded on the left and less as it flattens out - thanks!

Some new material;

Oak Tree

6ZzyB.png

Cart Yard

6ZzzQ.png

For the cart yard I was going to chip away some of the cart yard at the base so that the ground tile would show through - makes it look more natural in a grass environment then... but wouldn't work too well on a paved or dirt tile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement