• Create Account

Blender for making Games?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think about Blender? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

How useful is Blender?

1. Unusable. (5 votes [8.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

2. I use it sometimes. (21 votes [33.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.87%

3. I prefer it! (36 votes [58.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.06%

How stable was Blender when you have used it?

1. Crashed all the time. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Every now and then it would crash. (17 votes [27.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.42%

3. Never had any crashes I can think of! (45 votes [72.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.58%

How does the design of Blender strike you?

1. Unorganized, confusing, bad! (13 votes [20.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.97%

2. It's okay, I can get around in it. (35 votes [56.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.45%

3. It's very intuitive! (14 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1620

5Likes

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I have been so frustrated with Blender, and I still sorta am. But the good thing about Blender is that there are so many third party plugins for it that make it that much more powerful. Now, I don't use the Blender Game Engine per-se, but I do use Blender for making game content for the Maratis3D game engine. Let me show you some reasons you might want to consider using Blender for your visual game art:

THE SITE:

http://www.blender.org/

PLUGINS:

BEPUIK Plugin (Full body inverse kinematics)

Real Time Animation:

Bsurfaces (draw your meshes)

THINGS MADE WITH IT:

Blender Guru (great tutorials for blender)

http://www.blenderguru.com/

Blendswap (share blender files)

http://www.blendswap.com/

More tutorials and resources:

http://cgcookie.com/blender/

The power of blender is there, but the area it struggles in is the design of the interface. I know most people who thought they might switch over to Blender from 3dsmax or Maya say that it is very un-intuitive and frustrating to use (and it sorta is), but they are not raking in the big bucks that way to support the payroll for that, and yet, it is a very capable and FREE professional 3d modeling software. 

It is because I am pretty much poor that I was forced to use this software, but I have seen it's potential while doing so. 

What are you experiences with Blender3D?

If you have any cool things about Blender to add, please comment. 

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Sponsor:

#2 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8472

14Likes

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I've used Blender exclusively for years now. Pre-rendered isometric art, 3D assets, visualization, CNC work, and so on. Almost everything in my game is touched by Blender in some way, including the UI elements.

OzhAThQ.jpg

All of my older stuff has used Blender as well:

kqRu3.jpg

ifzQP.jpg

blogentry-47547-0-94642800-1297908811_th

cliffs_and_splats.jpg

Even all the way back to one of my earliest projects of the "modern" ere (ie, post DOS):

Dungeon1.jpg

Danger.jpg

So, yeah, I find Blender to be highly useful. :D

#3 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1620

0Likes

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Wow! That is inspirational! I really need to know how to do UI elements, although I have taken some cues from games like Bioshock on how I can keep it simple yet good looking. 

I would love to see more posts on how people use Blender. 

#4 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7407

10Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

I too, use blender exclusivly as modelling tool for my game and I'm quite happy with it.

gnoblins_ad_09.png

#5 ivan.spasov   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1759

4Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

To be quite honest, with Blender you can do pretty much anything you want. It's a matter of personal preference and how fast can you work with it.

I've tried it, didn't really like the interface, didn't really like some of the workflow. I'm doing mostly architectural models, props and other stuff like that and I find working with 3DS Max more optimal for my case. However I've seen plenty of good stuff done fast with Blender. It's all up to the artist.

So in my mind, basically it's all up to personal preference :) as long as good assets are made, everything is cool.

#6 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18536

3Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:17 AM

I'm not an artist, but I occasionally need to create simple models or edit something created by someone else -- I find any modelling package uncomfortable and unintuitive, most likely due to my lack of an art background.

With that background out of the way, I don't find Blender to be any worse (for me) than any other modelling package, and struggle with any new task.  I've found it reasonably easy to find instructions or a tutorial for most tasks I've wanted to accomplish though, and always seem to get whatever I'm doing done.  For my occasional uses the fact that Blender if free is a big win -- it simply isn't worth paying for software in my particular case.

Great artwork JTippets and Ashaman73! smile.png

#7 Azkanan   Members   -  Reputation: 163

2Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

Maya Autodesk and zBrush are probably my preference for 3D modelling. Autodesk is great for animation, particles and fluids and zBrush is great for texturing. Of course with enough experience, it doesn't really matter. But if you're relatively new to either, that's what they're best for. I personally prefer Autodesk.

zBrush

Franck_Zbrush_by_ced66.jpg

Maya Autodesk

nondestructive_live_retargeting.png

#8 FLeBlanc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3101

4Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

D1eLRWx.jpg

mV3DoSB.jpg

I like Blender, though I haven't really been using it for all that long. A couple years, maybe. I've dabbled with 3D Studio and (briefly) Maya, but neither really gelled with me. (Price might have something to do with that.) Blender is nice, and I really don't see why everyone bitches about the interface. Pre-2.5 and above, yeah, it was kind of a mess, but lately it's pretty nice. 

#9 shackra   Members   -  Reputation: 135

0Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Just wait to see the improvements over Blender's GUI, more people will be capable of using all that Free Software power for their own projects ;D

#10 makuto   Members   -  Reputation: 850

2Likes

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

WKnKMVU.png

I've been getting into Blender a lot lately, trying to learn a little bit about every part of the program. Once you start looking for how to actually use it, you find that Blender is like an iceburg - there's even more underneath. It's incredible how much you can do with that program. I've heard the built-in video editor rivals editors completely dedicated to video editing!

Also, I've used the Blender Game Engine successfully on five One Game a Month Games (the other games were either board games or written in C++): Stack, Vision, Hint: Shoot, Gravity, and The Curse. Although it's essential that you know Python to make most things, the logic bricks are nice for doing anything simple very quickly (if you don't have to write a script, then don't write a script). It is really nice to have a smooth workflow like the BGE because everything is integrated. I'm used to pure C++ & compiler, so this was a very refreshing feeling!

Although the engine might not seem like much, once you use it you'll find it's very powerful & intuitive. At the very least you can use it to make very rapid 3D prototypes.

I've also been entertained by the thought of using it for a high-school level course on computer science, game development, 3D modelling, and animation. Everything is integrated & you can get results fast enough that it seems more like play and less like work, which would help students stay motivated.

Edited by makuto, 14 February 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

#11 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1620

0Likes

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

Just wait to see the improvements over Blender's GUI, more people will be capable of using all that Free Software power for their own projects ;D

I saw the petition Andrew Price made, but are they actually going to fix it? Perhaps not everything he suggested will work, but he has some good points.

#12 hotmitts   Members   -  Reputation: 158

0Likes

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

I just learned the basics of Blender to sculpt and animate a game character model. I found the animation part easier than the sculpting part. It wasn't an easy program to learn in any way! But once it is learned you can do great things with it.

#13 shackra   Members   -  Reputation: 135

-1Likes

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I saw the petition Andre price made, but are they actually going to fix it? Perhaps not everything he suggested will work, but he has some good points.

#14 latch   Members   -  Reputation: 747

3Likes

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

You can see I do a bunch of Blender stuff one can see in these threads:

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showthread.php?191-Refrigerator-Art

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showthread.php?517-CG-Requests

And an increase in skill as I went on my youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lordlatch/videos

Most of my apps and games have some Blender in them:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=latch

Now that I have been using Blender for 2 years(on and off in bursts), I have become an intermediate in terms of skill.

Someone suggested I use a 'real' 3d program presumably because he saw a bit of potential in my work.

I've watched a couple tutorials of professional cgi programs and the workflow seems bizarre and not very quick. Their interface is more mature and there are features of it I like, but after that bit of research I chose to stay with Blender. Where I ever to make a living with cgi, I would reconsider relearning how to model, animate and composite in a  new program.

It can't be that hard- just like learning another programming language.

Edited by latch, 17 February 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#15 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5450

7Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

I use Blender almost exclusively now, most recently for this game art tutorial series, but its what I actually use on a daily basis.

I've been a hobbyest 3D artist since I first got my hands on an Amiga with Lightwave ages ago.  I even purchased a copy of 3D Studio ( no max... ) for DOS when I first got in to school.  Since then, especially through professional artist friends, I've dabbled with pretty much every single 3D application released in the past 2 decades, even the completely impossible to figure out Houdini and ultrarare Nichimen nWorlds/Mirai.  So, ive got some perspective on how things compare.

I will honestly say, in the > Blender 2.4 days, anyone using it used it because it was free or familiar to them and well, that's about it.  Those days are long behind now.

With the 2.5 revision and 2.6 refinements, Blender is certainly moving in the right direction.  On the other hand, all of the AutoDesk offering seem to be going the wrong way.  I think this is a side effect of Autodesks yearly release schedule... shit gets added every year, even if it doesnt really need to be.  More importantly, every time something is added, nothing is removed!  This is creating some serious bloat, especially from a UI perspective.  

Every so often a company needs to bite the bullet and do a full retool, and generally people do.  Maya is a reworking of Power Animator.  XSI was a reboot of Softimage ( then XSI had a second reboot I believe as well ).  Blender 2.5 was another such reboot.  It's a good time to push out the old, bring in the new and clean shit up.  That said, its costly, disruptive and not always immediately popular ( go back to when Blender 2.5 was released for example!  There are still a few die hards that think 2.4 was just all around better! ).  Thing is though, a yearly release schedule and a reboot just dont go together, and Autodesk simply dont do it.  Instead they just bolt more and more shit on top.

It's amazing to open up Max and see all the same primitives and operations available from Max one in Max 2014.  It's also mind numbingly stupid... people dont use metaballs anymore for example.  Also have 3 different Edit Mesh modifiers is just outright confusing.  All the other products that Autodesk now own ( Maya, XSI specifically ) are getting the same treatment.  Each year, bolt on more shit and remove nothing else.  Look at Maya's "Quick windows" now... it's almost a joke.

In many ways, I think this is where Blender is gaining and the other tools aren't.  Usability is the driving factor for Blender at this point.  Powerpoint charts and feature matrices seem to be the driving factor at Autodesk.

Now Blender is no longer just the application that you use if you cant afford the other ones.  Now, its just like all the other apps... a viable option with it's strengths and weakness.

Now, I would just love to see them continue working on one of its biggest weaknesses... pipeline support.  2.69 adding FBX import was a good step, but it needs to keep improving.

As to stability, Blender has been absolutely rock solid for me.  I almost never experience a crash, I would actually say I found it more stable than most.  That said, the NLE video editing is a different story.  That is a crashtastic pile of crashing goodness.

#16 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1620

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, the last time I used max was in 2009, and it was relatively clean and light. I have no idea where they are now. I think too many companies are stockpiling features onto software. For instance, photoshop is so feature crazy that every tutorial on using it uses filters in some way to achieve effects, so it impossible to follow along in gimp. And they have integrated it with 3d packages and all.

I could never use all the features.

Andrew price was right about the interface though, it needs help. I saw his talk at the blender conference also (they shredded him) and they also had some good points.

The lack of consistency is a major thing.

I hope blender stays on the right track, and we don't get to the point where we refuse to upgrade from our beloved version.

Right now I am using the custom 2.7 version that has that BEPUIK plugin (not standard yet).

#17 latch   Members   -  Reputation: 747

1Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Low Poly is popular these days so I started this game because of the style and the idea of game play has grown as I've designed the elements.

QcSipKb.png?1

All in Blender.

#18 nweissberg   Members   -  Reputation: 170

1Likes

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

I've been working with blender for many years now, it's probably not the tool that major companies use, but for us small developers it's a wonderful software. The community is very supportive and huge.

This is the project that I've been working on:

If you liked it subscribe and leave a comment! Thanks!

My Thread in the Blender Artist Forum

#19 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1620

1Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Nicholas I am stuck at how to get character animation like you have. There. You have any tutorials? Can animation blending be done in blender? I am only using blender for the animating, then I have to export to the engine I am using.

#20 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 1632

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

I can confirm that Animation blending can be done in Blender, both with skeletal animation, and with vertex morphing on top of that if you'd like(for facial movement and bulging muscles, anything that isn't easy with bones).

As far as exporting that, the engine is the one that does the blending usually as part of the shaders used when rendering.  So Blender's being able to do blending won't help with your engine directly.  But if you want to use Blender's game engine, then it will help greatly.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS