• Create Account

Software Grading: Any Standards?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1410

0Likes

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

Are there any standards that perhaps you use, or know to be actual standards for rating or grading a program?

I rate apps (usually) by these standards:

1) Usefulness

2) Stability

3) Design. 

Out of 5 stars, usefulness gets maximum 2 stars, stability maximum 2 stars, and Design, maximum 1 star. 

Not all software is about speed, so I didn't include that one (although you would want it to be responsive). 

If you don't use the software that much, that could be 1 stars for usefulness, but if you don't have to use it much, but when you do, it is super useful, then you can get that 1 stars back. If it is not useful at all, then 0 stars for usefulness (out of 2). Features would be a part of this too. 

If a software is stable half of the time:

1 star. If it doesn't crash at all, 2 stars for Stability. 

Design could go from layout to intuitiveness. If it is unintuitive though, that might affect the usefulness also. But if it would be useful if it were not laid out so poorly, then that would make Design 0/1 stars, and "usefulness as a result of bad design" minus 1 star automatically. Design could include color scheme also. 

Using these brief standards, I can fairly rate or grade any software I use, and can determine whether or not to delete one app for preference over another. 

There are times when I get a bit emotional though:

"1 Star!!!!!! Terrible update! What were you thinking? I will be deleting this app ASAP!... RSVP!! ABC, TNT!!"

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18888

8Likes

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

Grading for what? App stores?

If I'm happy and satisfied, 5 stars.
If I have something mild to complain about, 5 stars and a comment.
If I have something moderate to complain about, 4 stars and a comment.
If I have something big to complain about out, 2 or 1 stars and a comment.
If it doesn't work or causes damage, negative stars and a warning to others.

Grading for homework?

Does the program run and give the correct result? 85%. Can I read and understand the code? +5%. Does the code implement the taught concepts? +10%. Is there something notable about it? +10%. Or if the program won't not run, or runs with the incorrect result? Ask if they want to fix and resubmit. If I can read it and find the bug and it looks like they mostly understood the concepts, 85%. If not, it goes downhill from there.

Some of my favorite good CS professors would invite us to their office as they graded our programs. The first test was empty input: just keep pressing enter. The second test was totally bogus input: qwerty<enter>. The third test was extended input: hold down 'a' for a minute or until it crashed or until it stopped accepting data, then <enter>. Next came mixed data, if it wanted a number it would only be part of the data: 12abc345. If students hadn't heard about them prior to the class they would invariably be given another chance to fix and resubmit their programs. I adopted their practice when I graded student programs.

Correctness is paramount.

Those are just a few ways I grade programs.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 unicoder   Members   -  Reputation: 140

1Likes

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

I think you have a good idea there, but I would think that since everyone else does rate specifically off of 'emotion', a well thought out rating like yours would get lost in the pile of useless ones.

I have found myself using programs that I had actually deleted at first due to being useless to me, but I found a tutorial/book/article that helped me get it to do what I wanted, and made that app productive for my particular project. Even though it worked for me, I would never recommend it to someone else.

I think the feedback/ratings I would focus on if I were a developer would not be those on an app store or website from the random users. Rather from the beta testers and other developers that the application was designed for. The feedback, in my opinion, should be strictly for the users that need that application, and not some random person that found it and misunderstood what it was designed for.

Ah, I got a bit off topic there. I 1 star everything because nothing is perfect!!!!  :P

#4 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5269

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I have two gradings:

1) how much money is in my bank at the end of the month

2) how much of my weekend and evening time did I spent fixing bugs

Everything else is subjective to me :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS