• Create Account

How did you get your start in Game Development/Programming?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 buttnakedhippie   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm trying to find my starting point and I think it would probably help to figure out where other people started. If possible, I'd really appreciate some recommended resources or routes to take. Thanks.

Plus it's always nice to hear people's stories!

Sponsor:

#2 radioteeth   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1137

1Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I started coding in qbasic when I was a kid, then started playing around with modifying existing games. I started spending a lot of time making mods for Quake, which helped me familiarize myself with C-style syntax. Then I started playing with C compilers, making little console window apps, doing some VGA stuff in mode 13h before moving onto native win32 code and utilizing OpenGL for graphics.

I'd recommend playing with existing code, of some kind, as a starting point.

#3 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10158

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

Please do not cross-post. I'm closing this one, since it's a Lounge-appropriate topic.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22718

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Please don't cross post. I'm closing this one and keeping the other in the Lounge alive.

Edited by frob, 18 February 2014 - 03:24 PM.
Ninja'd!

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS