• Create Account

What am I doing wrong with this code?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Goozen   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Ok.  So, i'm making a basic 2d top-down rpg.  Everything is working, it's just one thing that's kind of funny.  My attack animation works...but the animation is triggered whenever I move in any direction.  Can anyone help me out?  I know this code could probably be structured better, but I'm just starting so bare with me.

{
    if(keyboard_check(vk_right) && place_free(x+4,y)&& sprite_index  != spr_playerattack) {
        x+=4;
        sprite_index = spr_playerrun;
        image_speed = .2;
        image_xscale = 1;
        }

if(keyboard_check(vk_left) && place_free(x-4,y) && sprite_index  != spr_playerattack){
        x-=4;
        image_speed = .2;
        image_xscale = -1;
        }

if(keyboard_check(vk_up) && place_free(x,y-4) && sprite_index  != spr_playerattack){
        y-=4;

image_speed = .2;
        image_xscale = 1;}

if(keyboard_check(vk_down) && place_free(x,y+4) && sprite_index  != spr_playerattack){
        y+=4;

image_speed = .2;
        image_xscale = 1;   
            }   

if(keyboard_check_pressed(ord('C') && sprite_index != spr_playerattack)) {
      sprite_index = spr_playerattack;
      image_speed = .25;
        }
if(!keyboard_check(vk_right) && !keyboard_check(vk_left) && !keyboard_check(vk_down) && !keyboard_check(vk_up) && sprite_index != spr_playerattack) {
        image_speed = 0;
        sprite_index = spr_playerstand;
    }
            if(global.hp <0)game_end();   

}

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor:

#2 Hawkblood   Members   -  Reputation: 723

4Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

if(keyboard_check_pressed(ord('C') && sprite_index != spr_playerattack)) {

image_speed = .25;

}

I think you want to check if "C" is pressed and then if the current "sprite_index" is not "spr_playerattack" then "attack".... Right?

If so, your condition is unpredictable. Perhaps it should be:

if(keyboard_check_pressed(ord('C')) && (sprite_index != spr_playerattack)) {

image_speed = .25;

}

Notice the difference? I separated the two conditions, is "C" pressed and "is it not attacking currently".

#3 Goozen   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Ahhhh, I do see that!

Thank you for the quick reply.  I'm going to go try it out right now!  

#4 Goozen   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

It worked!  It's amazing how one little thing can make that big of a difference.  Thanks, again.  It is much appreciated!

#5 Hawkblood   Members   -  Reputation: 723

0Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

It's amazing how one little thing can make that big of a difference.

Happens to me all the time.

#6 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13600

4Likes

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

Instead of testing “sprite_index  != spr_playerattack” a million times you could just test it once and put the rest of the code inside that if-statement…

if ( sprite_index  != spr_playerattack ) {
    if(keyboard_check(vk_right) && place_free(x+4,y)) {
        x+=4;
        image_speed = 0.2f; // Don’t use constant doubles in place of floats.  .2 should be 0.2f.
        image_xscale = 1;
    }
    if(keyboard_check(vk_left) && place_free(x-4,y)){
        x-=4;
        image_speed = 0.2f; // Don’t use constant doubles in place of floats.  .2 should be 0.2f.
        image_xscale = -1;
    }
    // etc.
}
It would really help your readability and maintenance.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 18 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#7 Goozen   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

Instead of testing “sprite_index  != spr_playerattack” a million times you could just test it once and put the rest of the code inside that if-statement…

if ( sprite_index  != spr_playerattack ) {
    if(keyboard_check(vk_right) && place_free(x+4,y)) {
        x+=4;
        image_xscale = 1;
    }
    if(keyboard_check(vk_left) && place_free(x-4,y)){
        x-=4;
        image_xscale = -1;
    }
    // etc.
}
It would really help your readability and maintenance.

L. Spiro

Thanks for the help! :D  Much appreciated!

#8 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13326

1Likes

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I prefer this type of code (not tested):
  struct {                                                                                                            
    int key;                                                                                                          
    int delta_x;
    int delta_y;                                                                                             
    int xscale;                                                                                                       
  } const directions[4] = {                                                                                           
    {vk_right, 4, 0, 1},                                                                                              
    {vk_left, -4, 0, -1},                                                                                             
    {vk_up, 0, -4, 1},                                                                                                
    {vk_down, 0, 4, 1}                                                                                                
  };                                                                                                                  

if (sprite_index != spr_playerattack) {                                                                             
    for (auto direction : directions) {                                                                               
      if (keyboard_check(direction.key) && place_free(x + direction.delta_x, y + direction.delta_y)) {                
        x += direction.delta_x;                                                                                       
        y += direction.delta_y;                                                                                       
        image_speed = .2;                                                                                             
        image_xscale = direction.xscale;                                                                              
      }                                                                                                               
    }                                                                                                                 
  }                                                                                                                   

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS