• Create Account

Looking for game ideas using a 24x24 LED matrix

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 JerryMazda   Members   -  Reputation: 136

2Likes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

I'm currently tinkering with an android phone controlling four 12x12 LED matrices (resulting in a total of 24x24) and was looking to develop a simple game using it. I was thinking of using android sensors (touch and accelerometer) to control how the game is played.

The game has some limitations, as the LEDs are monochromatic (only red) and can be either on or off. Here's how the matrices look like: zyb4W1H.png

Some ideas crossed my mind such as tetris or pong, but I was wanting to try something something different/new. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7085

2Likes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

How big is the screen in real life? What level of control does the controller have over each individual LED? How does it interface with the Android phone?

I think we need to be able to assess the input/output first...

#3 JerryMazda   Members   -  Reputation: 136

2Likes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

How big is the screen in real life? What level of control does the controller have over each individual LED? How does it interface with the Android phone?

I think we need to be able to assess the input/output first...

Hi Orymus, thanks for the reply! The matrix is about 1m x 1m big. I can control all LEDs over the android phone using bluetooth (normal java programming -- I can really control it as I want). Frame rate is around 20, meaning I can change all LEDs every 50ms.

#4 LittleVikings   Members   -  Reputation: 311

2Likes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

So it can only be controlled by one device at a time?

#5 JerryMazda   Members   -  Reputation: 136

1Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

So it can only be controlled by one device at a time?

Correct

#6 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7085

2Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Have you thought about experimenting with the Game of Life kata?

The main issue I'm seeing with the ouput here is that each of the matrices are spaced, and don't represent a continuous screen. This has to be accounted for by the design of what you are doing and its a limitation we are not used to dealing with...

#7 gia   Members   -  Reputation: 139

1Likes

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

snake? pac man? you could go crazy and make it an ion cannon (center is the crosshair, and you shoot giant anteroids, you "rotate" with your controls and when you see a big red lump growing bigger, center it and shoot

#8 LittleVikings   Members   -  Reputation: 311

2Likes

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:53 AM

The game of life is a good idea. In fact, I'm always disappointed when I see one of these things not running it. They just seem made for it. You could expand on it, and have four simulations which affect their neighbours, like a kind of Alife-within-a-Alife.

I like the take on asteroids too, and a twist on snake might be cool, where each square has a different special rule.

#9 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7085

1Likes

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

The game of life themed as a virus-based game. This way, having 4 screens equals four 'lives'. First screen becomes infected with a virus, and the virus evolves through the populace. Then, you obviously don't want it to spread to the other screen and the player has some options.

Do you choose to destroy the infected life (and all bystanders) in a screen to save your other screens? or risk seeing the virus move from screen to screen.

Only major problem I see though is that, as you've pointed out, you cannot color-code this.

#10 Mratthew   Members   -  Reputation: 1503

2Likes

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

How fast are these LEDs able to strobe?

You could create a pattern match game that works to a beat (played on the phone). Use the android to play a beat, display simple images on all four of the LED quadrants, two of which match. The phone would have a 4 quadrant touch area. The player simple touches the matching pair of images displayed on the LEDs or slides between them, pinches them, double tap, etc. When the action is on beat (or close) and the match is correct there is a cool drum solo (to indicate success and give the player a break) and increases the beat. The player needs to make the match as fast as possible but on beat (ideally a match per beat), but each level could dictate how fast the player must make the match (i.e. lvl1=every 12 beats, lvl10=every 4 beats, etc) The different gestures play different sounds so the player has a sense of creativity in creating a song. If the player makes a mismatch they get a record scratch and the beat slows back down again. If the player is on beat but not making matches they still progress with a new collection of sounds for the gestures if they are off beat they return to previous sounds. I would use a reasonable level progression system so the player has to really work for new and interesting sounds for the gestures. The images the player must match could also dictate which gesture the player should do if you wanted to add more structure to the gameplay (like bop it) with images that look more and more like the dictating matching pair (if that makes any sense at all).

Spose this doesn't really need the LEDs and could all be done on the phone, buuuuut, ah well. That's one idea. The reason I asked about strobe speed is because the LED's displayed images could strobe off to the beat as well thus making matching more difficult as the beat speeds up. 

#11 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 722

1Likes

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

Some kind of beat and pattern  remembering game (the 2x2 12x12 is big enough for simple shapes.

Of course the input isnt ON the array so a simple correllation must exist between the input device and this seperate display.

Another might be a simple maze game where  each 12x12 is a window into a larger map and you sequence between 1/2/3/4 (most difficult)  different map views in sequence   (perhaps all active views have the goal of meeting at some point in the SAME maze)

So you initially explore to get other units in range of each other (blinking ood)  and then navigate THEM to come together (once you know they then can spread apart to be becons to get the other views to get to the meeting point.

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

#12 LittleVikings   Members   -  Reputation: 311

1Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

I like that maze idea. It could make good use of tilting and screen buttons, with a rapid blinking LED indicating your position on the active screen, and slower blinking for the other screens (and when they're shown on the active screen too).

It's a real pity you can't have multiple players competing. Would it be possible if they took turns?

Also, what are the dimensions of the device? And can it be placed to face up or forward? Or does it have a specific orientation?

Edited by LittleVikings, 24 February 2014 - 06:36 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS