• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

My world driven game idea

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jarklor   Members   -  Reputation: 98

-1Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I've been thinking about how this game will work and run. Here it is so far.

This game is world driven. This means that everything you do effects your surroundings. The creatures in this game could eventually die out if you killed enough. In other words, they don't respawn. Only breed.
I read that before posting you shouldn't talk about making an mmo. However, I can always find a way to make this an orpg or just an rpg.

However, I don't understand why making an mmorpg is impossible without lots of equipment. Minecraft is an indie developed game that you can play online with many people. (At least that's what I've heard)

This is primarly a sandbox game. However, I've been thinking of making this game driven with a story I wrote.

Races: Humans, Fae, Elf, Dragonkin
Genders: Male, Female
Ages: Child (chibi-ish), teen, adult

Classes:
Hunter: Bow/Knife (long ranged)
Maruder: Battle axe/Mace (slow/big atk.)
Warrior: Sword/Lance (quick/weak atk.)
Adept: Wand/Staff (Magical Attack)
Protecter: Wand/Staff (Healing/defence)

Battle system:
Health ////////// Rush/Mana //////////

2 types of attacks- A: Weak attacks but raise Rush/mana B: strong attacks but lower it. Also, If you spend a certain amount of r/m 3 different times, you can summon your guardian.

This system allows you to continuously attack while being able to limit strong attacks being used all the time.

Questing: this is where the game gets unique. You create YOUR OWN quests. In most mmos you do a quest for an npc and then they are like "whos next in line to do what you JUST DID?" So unrealistic...

It may seem impossible for this to work but I found a way. This game is world driven. I'll explain in the details.

Every city/shrine has demands. Ex. Weapons, armor, bearskins. (I'm not kidding. A city could actually run out of a certain type of item to sell.)

Based on a demand you can create a quest you and your friends could complete. When you complete it, you gain honor and money from the city/shrine.

Too lazy to go back and buy an item in a city too far away from you at the moment? Why not make a quest that requires that another player to buy and return it to you? You get the item, they get the experience. Everyone's happy.

Elements: Fire, water, earth, wind, ice, lightning, dark, light.

Professions: Erbalism, mining, blacksmith, armorer, weaver, carpenter, cook, Crafter

I read that before posting you shouldn't taljk about making an mmo. However, I can always find a way to make this an orpg or just an rpg.

I'd appreciate most feedback on the battle system. I think it's one of the main things that stands out in this game. In other games you would either have to wait for your moves to charge up or refill your mana with items. These mechanics don't help much with games but many developers use them anyways.

Sponsor:

#2 Jarklor   Members   -  Reputation: 98

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Also, could you make suggestions on how to implement strategies into a game like this?

There are elemental weaknesses but that's not enough.

Could a strategy be that yoj have to attack the enemy at a certain point? (i.e. Front, back, side, ect)

I'm not sure what exactly what to do. How do other games do this?

#3 tim_shea   Members   -  Reputation: 461

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

In my game engine architecture course last year, about 3/4 of the teams were unable to get even two-player networked games to work, whereas almost everybody was able to implement the full scene graph structure, physics, spatial sound, animations, etc.

Networking makes every aspect of your game more complicated.

Minecraft was not multiplayer in the early alpha. It was only later (as the game became a sensation and raised many millions of dollars) that a lot of the features you see today were implemented. It's also just generally not a great model for game dev, because it was such an unusual case. Is it possible you will pull off what Notch did? Yes. Is it likely? Definitely not. Much better to set your sights on something firmly achievable and then branch out.

Edit: On a different note, I like the concept. I would say prototype it and see which elements are fun and which aren't.

Edited by tim_shea, 21 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#4 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1651

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

The quest system is quite original, you have to understand that it will influence player-behavious though, they will for example find ways to make cities have huge demands so they can have bigger missions.

This is not to say this is bad, it could even be the core-mechanic of your game.

#5 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 1071

0Likes

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

"However, I don't understand why making an mmorpg is impossible without lots of equipment. Minecraft is an indie developed game that you can play online with many people. (At least that's what I've heard)"

How many is 'many'  ??? 20 50 ?

The First M in MMO  is for massive.  Cram enough people near each other at various times/places in the world all doing things to change the terrain as well as their avatar actions/communications and you have a big data (timely) update problem to solve.   Thats why you need all the server equipment - to collect/resolve actions and to transmit all the updates constantly and quickly to all the players.

Go ask about that in the multiplayer network form to get alot more info

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

#6 codeman_nz   Members   -  Reputation: 255

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:50 AM

Questing: this is where the game gets unique. You create YOUR OWN quests. In most mmos you do a quest for an npc and then they are like "whos next in line to do what you JUST DID?" So unrealistic...

I like that idea.  So what would make a quest?  Is it just a simple go there and get this or would it require some challenges along the way?  If there are some challenges then does the player get to choose their own challenges or select from a list?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS