• Create Account

A name for the game (struggling to find an appropriate title for a sandbox game)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

#1 john978   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi!

I have a sandbox game nearly finished and I want to publish it. However I have a HUUUGE problem with the title. I know, you are far more creative than me, so I ask you for help.

An appropriate name shouldn't contain words like craft, block, etc. It should be somehow connected with technology, stars or the universe.  The game itself is about surviving in unfriendly world, collecting resources, building awesome machines in a realistic way or doing some magical stuff. Dimensional or space travels are also an important aspect of the project. Please keep that in mind.

I really hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 Adam Moore   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Coming up with titles should be easy for you, especially since you know more about your game than any of us.

Copyright and the word "craft" rule out Starcraft. Starbound is already taken too.

#3 arka80   Members   -  Reputation: 942

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Give the game the name of your alien world

#4 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4936

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I like the ending -struct for the part about building machines.  So you could have something like Starstructors.  Something like SurvivalTech or Surviviverse or Xenotech or Xengineer Survival...

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#5 jefferytitan   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2161

3Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

I think it would be easier if we knew a little more about the intended feel or theme of the game. Having said that:

(and knowing that I am answering more for the general feel rather than worrying about clashes with other game names)

• Outpost #45
  • Stranded
  • Year 5 Alone
  • Escape to the Stars
  • Starlight Reconstruction
  • Progress
  • Renaissance
  • Terraformation
  • Xenoform
  • Xengineering

Keep in mind (as much as I sometimes hate it) that inventing new words is useful from the perspective of trademarking and searching, although the spelling needs to be somewhat obvious so people will remember it.

#6 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1463

0Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Starscape.

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19665

4Likes

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I like the word 'Stellar'.

Stellar <something>

Stellar Survival... Stellarvival ? dry.png

Stellar Assembly ?

Lost Star Construction? (Sounds like a company name. Maybe just 'Lost Star')

Forgotten World

Starlost Survival / Stargone Mechanic

Star Mechanisms

Forgotten Stars

Forgotten Star Builder

Forgotten Starforms / Lost Starforms

Starform Mechanic

Starshaper

Lost Gearshapes / Lost Starshapes

Stellar Gears? Stargear?

Stargear Survival?

Stargear Mechs?

Celestial Construction? Celestial Gears / Celestial Mechanisms

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9294

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

ArchitecStation

StaRifT

#9 john978   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Well, thanks for your help, but I think you've concentrated too much on stars and space, which probably won't be implemented for yet a long time. Can you think maybe of a name with word land? (like thunderland [unfortunatelly already taken by some book])

#10 Kaneydien   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

SurLife (a mix of survival and life)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS