• Create Account

What are the most promising game projects you have seen fail / abandonned?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 creatures-of-gaia.com   Members   -  Reputation: 377

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

...just being curious rolleyes.gif

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 21331

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Over the years, I have seen several projects taken quite far before getting cancelled.

In the past few years, two amazing games from my workplace come to mind. The first was Wildlife: Forest Survival which was quite fun to play; within the studio we still have competitions on the game. It was nearly complete, but cancelled because of various budgetary concerns at the global level. The second was My Garden (there were so many other wonderful working titles that were not approved...) that was complete and ready for certification as a 3DS launch title, but right before launch the expected demograhpics of the 3DS changed, the estimates for number of 3DS sales plummeted, and marketers couldn't find a way to make the demographics of a zen garden fit nicely with the expected demographics of the 3DS, all of them combined for corporate to indefinitely suspend the project.

If you talk to industry veterans nearly all of them have stories to tell about incredibly fun games that are developed, some even finished and certified by first parties and ratings companies, only to be cancelled for various corporate reasons. Most people don't realize that marketing, distributing, and supporting a game have a combined cost of about 1/3 of the total cost. Both corporate politics and market research change during development. It can make sense politically or economically to abandon a game before the final 1/3 is spent.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1615

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ouya perhaps?

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#4 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1528

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Dungeon Keeper 3 ... ( EA killed it's final production after taking over Bullfrog Studios )

Half-Life 3 ( or Half-Life 2 Episode 3 ) ... Valve went silent after Episode 2

Portal 3 ... Valve went silent. Portal 3 was supposedly going to be a tie-in to Half-Life 2 EP 3

Edited by Shippou, 24 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#5 creatures-of-gaia.com   Members   -  Reputation: 377

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

I'll add a couple of smaller old ones.

First, a very very old one, back in 2000!

http://www.gamespot.com/stars-supernova-genesis/images/

It was from a very small studio. This was intended to be a bigger sequel from a small but very good game they did before. However, at some point the budget was cut from above and it never saw the light.

Then, a more recent one:

http://wtactics.org/

It started in 2010 and looked great. An open source TCG/CCG with quality art and a small community. Time went by, but it failed to materialize and after 4 years without results I think it can now be considered dead.

They had a lot of top notch art, good ideas, many people, but in the end nothing came out of it.

I think it also makes a good lesson for open source projects.

Basically, the owner/leader/initiator thought: let's make the project driven by the community. If everyone helps, even a bit, something cool should come out of it. Well, nope, sorry, that's not how it works. In order to make a game, you don't need a crowd, you need a few dedicated individuals. On one hand, it was great for the sense of community, there is no doubt about that. On the other, all these little helping hands didn't bring the project very far.

The game rules were still going in several directions and implementations too, from plugins, to desktop, to web.

Everyone made tiny contributions in their own direction. In the end, there was barely something playable at all.

The "community driven" creation process failed miserably.

Actually, I was part of it too once. In a month or so, I made them a basic but working online prototype. I showed them, they were happy. Then I said "I can also foresee that it'll be a long journey to move from this small prototype to a full-fledged game. It's too much to carry all on my shoulders, but I know how it should be done and could lead the way. In other words, a couple of other programmers should jump in, or at least one partner". Well, the message went in the void, the response was kind of: "it's an open source democracy, let's see if someone comes by and seems interested to give a glance at the code". Other programmers continued doing their things, didn't bother. I knew I could not do it alone, I left. I still think that if they took it the other way round, they could show a decent game by now. Instead, three years have passed and they're not one inch further.

Edited by creatures-of-gaia.com, 25 February 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#6 Aurioch   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1304

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Duke Nukem: Forever. I don't follow the industry that much...

#7 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1554

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Ouya perhaps?

I have one, but me developing for it ran into problems:

I don't (personally) have a good display for it;

I plugged it into an older flat-panel monitor, but this didn't work out so well.

the bigger problem with Andoid in-general I suspect is this:

the development tools are, kind of, complete crap...

doesn't help that for the Ouya you basically have to get different parts of the SDK from different places (Ouya, NVIDIA, Google), and then later have something auto-update and the whole thing effectively falls apart.

yeah...

#8 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4354

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. This one was released but the company fell immediately into a black hole of debt. Ken Rolston, lead designer of TES3 Morrowind and TES4 Oblivion supposedly retired, but then they got him working on this title.

Granted, there might have been never a sequel since it was sort of an introduction to a MMO but, if that one was successful, I could have seen a KoA 2.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#9 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1756

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:36 AM

Stargate Worlds. I was in the very early alpha before it was cancelled. It was so buggy that it was kind of destined to fail, but the premise of the game was amazing. They had a really novel combat system in place with cover.

Half-Life 3 ( or Half-Life 2 Episode 3 ) ... Valve went silent after Episode 2

Portal 3 ... Valve went silent. Portal 3 was supposedly going to be a tie-in to Half-Life 2 EP 3

They're working on L4D3 at the moment. No indication really of any other projects.

#10 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30388

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

Stargate Worlds. I was in the very early alpha before it was cancelled. It was so buggy that it was kind of destined to fail, but the premise of the game was amazing. They had a really novel combat system in place with cover.
I was working on the Stargate FPS game that happened to get cancelled the day that Stargate Worlds was announced... Stargate has had a bad run in video-game land sad.png

#11 blueshogun96   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 917

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Crimson Dragon.  Still want to play it though.

Shogun.

Follow Shogun3D on the official website: http://shogun3d.net

blogger.png twitter.png tumblr_32.png facebook.png

"Yo mama so fat, she can't be frustum culled." - yoshi_lol

#12 BHXSpecter   Members   -  Reputation: 1559

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Starcraft Ghost

"Through vengence I was born.Through war I was trained.Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose."

#13 Aurioch   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1304

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Starcraft Ghost

Oh yeah, that exists...

#14 BHXSpecter   Members   -  Reputation: 1559

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Starcraft Ghost

Oh yeah, that exists...

This explains the game and the history of it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

Well the topic said failed or abandoned, and Starcraft Ghost had been in development for years before Blizzard finally canceled it.

I remember, it was to be released on Xbox, then Blizzard moved it to be on 360. Then canceled it official a few years ago.

Edited by BHXSpecter, 12 March 2014 - 02:56 PM.

"Through vengence I was born.Through war I was trained.Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose."

#15 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5475

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Does Ultima IX count?  I mean, technically it was released, but it certainly wasn't Ultima.  In terms of games that didn't actually ship, it's hands down Smith & TInker's Mechwarrior 5. Considering MW4 is in my top 5 fav games of all time, that hurt...

From the engine side of things, the Cipher game engine and Nebula Device have to be two of the biggest disappointments.  Cipher was a complete commercial quality C game engine that got open sourced, with reasonable tool chain support and good clean C code and actual documentation and samples that actually ran, a number of years back.  For context, Unity was commercial and Mac only at the time, Unreal was a AAA engine only and costs 6digits+ to license, etc...  I dont regret buying a license, it was good code and I learned from it, but its a shame it never took off.  The Nebula device was an open sourced C++ powered commercial game engine ( Urban Assault, Drakensang series ) scripted in (oddly enough) TCL.  Was one of the first no strings attached game engines released, shame it never took off as well.

Finally, from the application side, that would have to be Silo.  SIlo was/is a 3D application that damn near rivalled Max/Maya/Modo in (modelling/texturing side at least) features and usability, but with a 200$ pricetag.  Sadly the developers stopped developing it and instead made iOS apps.  Thankfully Blender improved a hell of a lot in recent years, somewhat offseting the pain.

Edited by Serapth, 12 March 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#16 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1554

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Starcraft Ghost

Oh yeah, that exists...

This explains the game and the history of it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft:_Ghost

Well the topic said failed or abandoned, and Starcraft Ghost had been in development for years before Blizzard finally canceled it.

I remember, it was to be released on Xbox, then Blizzard moved it to be on 360. Then canceled it official a few years ago.

watched video, was slightly distracted by the dialogue being insufficiently heroic for the use of Optimus Prime voice...

but, you never know. it might pop up again and be finished/released many years later.

these sort of things have happened before...

#17 BHXSpecter   Members   -  Reputation: 1559

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

watched video, was slightly distracted by the dialogue being insufficiently heroic for the use of Optimus Prime voice...

but, you never know. it might pop up again and be finished/released many years later.
these sort of things have happened before...

Don't know. I know there was still interest at one point, but it has been in limbo since 2006. Though, the Nova character being in SC2: Wings of Liberty and making an appearance in SC2 Heart of the Swarm has sparked rumors about SC Ghost possibly being picked back up after 7 years. No news on it yet, but I won't hold my breath as I heard it was Blizzard being stubborn on letting it start up again.

#18 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13600

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Chrono Trigger: Resurrection.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#19 Geri   Members   -  Reputation: 180

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

Chrono Trigger: Resurrection.

L. Spiro

i just wanted to say the same...

Create your 3D RPG: Maker3D

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS