GameMaker:Studio free until March 2
Moderators - Reputation: 39043
Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:13 PM
If you were on the fence about picking it up, or just curious about using it, now may be a great time to pick it up.
Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.
Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I occasionally write about assorted stuff.
Members - Reputation: 1467
Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:01 AM
I downloaded it 2 days ago because I saw a post on gamasutra and wanted to try the studio version. Thank you for sharing it with the others too.
Edited by Bratie Fanut, 25 February 2014 - 07:02 AM.
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley
Crossbones+ - Reputation: 7142
Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:03 AM
Since I got confused I thought I'd post more specific instructions here. You have to do more than just download the installer to get the Standard version for free. You actually download the free version and then upgrade to standard like so.
1. Download the free version: http://www.yoyogames.com/studio/download
2. Install GameMaker
3. Run GameMaker
4. It starts on a screen where you can register with an e-mail address to get the Standard version for free.
5. Check your e-mail for your product key and enter it.
6. Enjoy Game Maker: Standard edition (normally $50)
After upgrading to Standard for free, you can upgrade from Standard to Professional for $35
1. Go here: https://www.yoyogames.com/checkout
2. In the Upgrade section, paste your license key and click upgrade
3. Follow through the checkout process
4. Receive your Professional Key in your e-mail
5. Startup GameMaker
6. Create a new Project
7. Go to Help->Update License
8. Enter your Professional Key and click Submit License
9. Enjoy Game Maker: Professional edition (normally $100)
Edited after I figured out steps 4-8 when I upgraded... Yay!
Edited by Eck, 27 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG