• Create Account

Friends List bug

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Eck   Members   -  Reputation: 2888

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm not sure where the appropriate place to post this is (if anywhere). I logged on today and had a friend request from Mikéhl Johnson:

http://www.gamedev.net/user/218538-mik%C3%A9hl-johnson/

Going to his friends list, I see that he's added either 280 or 28,000 friends... The friends were only displaying one item per page, but the index looked like it was expecting 100 per page.

I can't tell why he added me as a friend. It looks like this guy is just adding random people. I see some 100 rep, faceless contacts among his list.

- Eck

Sponsor:

#2 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3347

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

I accepted...I always need more friends. It makes up for the obvious flaws in my character such as alienating my friends :).

596 pages of potential friends on his friends listing does seem a little astray of "working as intended" though.

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8945

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

I accepted...I always need more friends. It makes up for the obvious flaws in my character such as alienating my friends smile.png.

596 pages of potential friends on his friends listing does seem a little astray of "working as intended" though.

How? I didn't get to accept, it just notified me that he had added me as a contact and suddenly I had a new entry in my own contacts list wacko.png

Or did you mean "I accepted" as "I did not instantly delete him from my contacts"? tongue.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#4 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3347

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

How? I didn't get to accept, it just notified me that he had added me as a contact and suddenly I had a new entry in my own contacts list 

Or did you mean "I accepted" as "I did not instantly delete him from my contacts"? 

Nope gave me the option to add him as a contact, which is the only way I know of to accept a friend invite. Definitely wasn't an automatic automated acceptance...except maybe the entire gdev membership invite he seems to have stumbled onto. 

#5 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8945

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:08 AM

How? I didn't get to accept, it just notified me that he had added me as a contact and suddenly I had a new entry in my own contacts list 

Or did you mean "I accepted" as "I did not instantly delete him from my contacts"? 

Nope gave me the option to add him as a contact, which is the only way I know of to accept a friend invite. Definitely wasn't an automatic automated acceptance...except maybe the entire gdev membership invite he seems to have stumbled onto. 

Hmm, must be a hidden option in the account control panel somewhere I guess. I'll try and hunt it down tomorrow if nobody has found an explanation before then.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

#6 Eck   Members   -  Reputation: 2888

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hmm, must be a hidden option in the account control panel somewhere I guess. I'll try and hunt it down tomorrow if nobody has found an explanation before then.

Same thing happened to me. Looks like there is a "contact approval" checkbox in profile settings. I just checked mine.

Holding steady at 596. At first I thought the bug was that the friends list is only displaying 1 result per page, but the paging is expecting 100 results per page. The first few pages only have 1 result while the last few pages have none. But at least some of the pages "in the middle" have a full 100 contacts.

http://www.gamedev.net/user/218538-mik%C3%A9hl-johnson/?tab=friends&st=6100

He has way more than 1,000 friends in less than 2 days, so it looks like he's hacked the "add a friend" feature and wrote a program to iterate through all the profile id's.

- Eck

#7 the incredible smoker   Members   -  Reputation: 353

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Jes hes my new friend to, and he has registered that day and has 0 messages.

His site is about audio, something i can do myself, so i realy dont need sounds from anyone.

I guess i have to remove him, i dont know.

Maybe they wanto some audio from me ? hehe.

S T O P   C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70  Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

#8 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3906

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

he hasn't added me as a friend=-(....and i auto accept.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#9 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5380

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Looks like hax to me he also tried to add me... no posts and no message = no friend accept. Looks like a spambot?

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#10 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18726

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Is anyone else seeing the display error Eck mentions where the "friend list" only displays a single entry per page?  If anyone who is experiencing this could let us know their browser version and OS it would be a big help, as I've been unable to replicate it so far.

As for how this member is adding so many friends, I'm not sure, but we'll take a look at it -- as it is, adding another user as a contact doesn't really provide him with any special access or abilities that he doesn't have otherwise, so it's relatively harmless.  I'll certainly keep an eye on the account for any more malicious behaviour though!

Please "report to moderator" if you receive or see any spam from this or any other member and it'll be handled as promptly as possible.

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8945

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Browser: Chromium 31.0.1650.63 Debian jessie/sid:

SNqdme3.png

#12 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3800

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

I get the same behaviour running Opera 12.16

#13 Eck   Members   -  Reputation: 2888

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

I'm running Chrome: 
Version 33.0.1750.117 m

It didn't happen on my link to the middle of his list like on st=6100. But the start of his list shows only 1 contact for me (pages 1-8):

I also noticed the names for the first 8 contacts were blank? So it might not be a paging issue. It might be a funky account in your friends page issue.

Page 9 clears up and shows 100 contacts a page

Then his friends list "runs out" after this point:

And after that it says: "Mikéhl Johnson hasn't added any contacts yet." for the remaining 15 pages.

- Eck

#14 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5380

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I found out I had automatically accepted the friend request too (cancelled it now).

It's a bit suspicious that he sends friendship requests to thousands of people yet hasn't posted anything. It's just advertising for his website (which I really don't want to click on since the friend request thing was obviously some kind of hack, so I don't trust the website).

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#15 LennyLen   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3800

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

After reading Eck's post, I went back and checked and I'm also getting what he describes.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS