• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Pointer to Pointer Issue

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 DishSoap   Members   -  Reputation: 413

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

*EDIT* As Ardvajk pointed out, while printing I am using the variable 'used' which == elements in the map. I should be using the number of bins or buckets in my array. 

Hey everyone, I'm having some strange issues I was hoping someone could help with. Basically I am inserting into a HashSet at the same index in an array [0] in my case. And when I loop through to print all the elements in the set I get some strange output for the bucket at index [1] even though I believe it to be completely empty. Also, this is a homework assignment, so just some guidance and not an outright answer would be appreciated smile.png

I am building a HashSet where the map is basically a pointer to a pointer of nodes. Hopefully I'm not posing a wall of code here next, as that would be annoying. But I have to post quite a bit for you to see what's going on. The declaration looks as such:

Node** set      = nullptr;
Node (T v,  Node* n = nullptr) : value(v), next(n){} // Relevant constructor

In my constructor for the HashSet I initialize the set to such:

template<class T>
HashSet<T>::HashSet(int (*func)(const T& element), double load) : hash(func), load_factor(load) {
	set = new LN*[bins];
	for(int i = 0; i < bins; i++) set[i] = nullptr;
}

My insert statement looks like this:

template<class T>
int HashSet<T>::insert(const T& element) {
  //write code here
	if(!contains(element))
	{
		int index = hash_compress(element);
	        Node* temp = set[index];
		if(temp == nullptr)
		{
			temp = new LN(element);
			set[index] = temp;
		}
		else
		{
			Node* new_node = new LN(element, set[index]);
			set[index] = new_node;
		}
		maintain_load(++used);
	}
}

Ok, that's all I will post. As I don't want to post too much, but I am happy to give more code if needed. Basically in my test, you will have to trust that int index = 0 for two inserts. After the second insert, the item gets properly inserted into bucket 0 but basically fills bucket 1 with a ton of garbage. To be exact, when I go to print it out all of my environment variables and the alphabet print out, it's kind of funny looking smile.png

My print method basically looks like this:

for(int i = 0; i < bins; i++) // used to be i < used
	{
		Node* temp = set[i];
		std::cout << "[" << i << "]" << std::endl;
		std::cout << "{" << std::endl;
		while(temp != nullptr)
		{
			std::cout << temp->value << std::endl;
			temp = temp->next;
		}
		std::cout << "}" << std::endl;
	}

Edited by DishSoap, 26 February 2014 - 02:26 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 DishSoap   Members   -  Reputation: 413

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Haha. I figured it out driving to school. Funny how a 10 minute break after staring at something for hourd makes you realize your mistaked. How can I delete this thread??

#3 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6255

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

You seen to be incrementinf your used variable upon any insert, the when printing, using it as a count of the hash entries. Two inserts with a hash of 0 will leave hash bucket 1 empty, but your print code thinks 0 and 1 are used hashes.

Hard to be sure viewing this on mobile but seems odd to me.

#4 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6255

1Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Haha. I figured it out driving to school. Funny how a 10 minute break after staring at something for hourd makes you realize your mistaked. How can I delete this thread??

Don't delete, post your fix. Might be useful to someone in the future searching for a similar issue.

#5 DishSoap   Members   -  Reputation: 413

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

That was exactly the issue. I will fix my post when I get home.

*EDIT*

Home now! I fixed it. Thank you.

Edited by DishSoap, 26 February 2014 - 02:27 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS