• Create Account

culling, renderables and scaling

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

Happy as I am having renderables implemented with success (render per renderable instead of whole mesh instances), I've ran into a challenge/ question. My situation is the following:

- a mesh is loaded

- several instances of the mesh are created

- each mesh instance consists of 'x' renderables

- the 'parent': mesh instance has a world matrix

- each renderable has a transformation matrix

(it's worldmatrix = local transform * parent world matrix)

- when culling I check if the mesh instance is inside the frustum (simple sphere check)

- if not, all renderables are not visible, if so, cull the individual renderables

This all works fine, until I scale one or more individual renderables, up to an amount where the bounding radius of a renderable is larger then the radius of it's parent (whole mesh instance).

Although I'm not sure if this scenario is realistic, I'd like to have my engine flexible smile.png

The result now is that the parent might be  outside the frustum and therefor renderables which might be inside (because of their radius), not checked and marked !visible.

I've thought of a few solutions:

1 - simply always cull all renderables (don't cull based on full mesh instance)

2 - update the bounding radius of the parent (mesh instance) based on checking the max radius of all it's renderables

3 - assume that this situation is not likely to occur and don't change anything

What solution would go for? Or might you have a 4th solution?

(all of the above ofcourse only goes for dynamic meshes, static meshes are no issue)

Any input is appreciated.

Edited by cozzie, 26 February 2014 - 03:18 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 NumberXaero   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1365

2Likes

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Well, generally if the parent bounds all the children, if the children get bigger, the parent sill needs to bound the children, so an update to the parent is required.

So you might

- do a pass over the objects, and update transforms. If child transforms, scale, rotate (maybe not rotate with spheres, but aabbs ) or translate, then the parent bound is potentially invalidated

- do a pass that transforms a unit bound, or recalc some how, for each object, any parents bound the updated child bounds

- do culling

- draw

#3 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thanks. I thought about what you said and will try the following:
- my mesh instance function which updates the world matrix, calls an update function for the transformation per renderable
- I will let that function of my renderable class return if something is changed, and if so, update the parent. Maybe I could even let it returns the bounding radius so I can check if it's larger then the mesh instance radius, if so, adapt that one

#4 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12966

2Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

- a mesh is loaded
- several instances of the mesh are created
- each mesh instance consists of 'x' renderables
- the 'parent': mesh instance has a world matrix
- each renderable has a transformation matrix
(it's worldmatrix = local transform * parent world matrix)
- when culling I check if the mesh instance is inside the frustum (simple sphere check)
- if not, all renderables are not visible, if so, cull the individual renderables

So far this is the correct process, but you can gain a lot of performance by not culling the individual renderables if the parent instance is entirely inside the frustum. While there will be objects partially inside the frustum, most are either fully in or fully out.

Or might you have a 4th solution?

As mentioned above, the parent’s bounding volume is meant to encapsulate all those beneath it. It should always be made to do so.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#5 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1261

1Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'd like to point out that usually in renderers (Ogre, Unity etc.) the sub-renderables or submeshes don't have their own transform, rather any per-submesh transformation is "baked" into the vertex buffer data, and when rendering, they all get the same transform of the whole mesh instance (the Entity's scene node in Ogre, or the Transform component from the same gameobject in Unity)

But in your case, just merge their bounding boxes to the mesh instance bounding box on demand (ie. whenever their transform changes.)

This is quite similar problem as what you will encounter with skinned meshes, if you want to update the bounding box in real time based on animation. In that case you could have a bounding box or sphere on each of the bones, and use those to compute the whole skinned mesh instance's bounding box.

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

#6 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Thanks. This helps, I'll implement 2 changes:

1. If the mesh instance is fully inside the frustum I'll skip checking all the renderables
(simple sphere check should do I think?)
2. When a renderable transforms I'll update the bounding volumes of the parent mesh instance

@agentc: how does ogre or unity then handle transforms on submeshes/ renderables?
In my case the basic "frame" of a indoor scene (building) might be a instance of 1 relatively big mesh, where I want to have the possibility to change transforms on specific renderables
(another option would be to have individual meshes that make up the "frame" of the indoor scene/ building)

#7 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1261

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

In those systems you have to make a separate scenenode or gameobject for the part that needs to be transformed individually.

Unity, for example, will import a complex object from a modeling program as several meshes + several gameobjects, if it's not merged into one. This process also preserves parent-child relationships if there are any. But at this point the meshes in the child gameobjects have no knowledge any more that they're part of a greater whole, instead they're just culled individually.

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

#8 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Thanks. I understand. Good so see how other engines handle things, so I can decide what to adapt/ not to adapt in my own engine.

I've made some changes, which already shows some improvement (not profiled yet though). I had to change checking the mesh instance with sphere radius to OBB, because I need to distinguish inside/outside and intersect.

Below is the result.

Next thing todo is update the OBB of the mesh instance if one of it's renderables are transformed (scaled > 1.0, moved or rotated).

Have to think about how to do that efficiently, for example keeping track of the renderables that are dynamic and will/ can actually transform.

bool CD3d::CullObjects(const CD3dcam &pCam)
{
	if(mD3dscene == NULL || !mRenderQueueCreated) return false;

/********* TODO here; introduce tree - spatial culling etc.	 ********/

/** CULL MESH INSTANCES AND RENDERABLES AGAINST FRUSTUM, VISIBLE YES/NO				**/
	for(size_t mi=0;mi<mRenderQueue.GetNrMeshInst();++mi)
	{
		auto &inst = mD3dscene->mMeshInst[mi];
		int cull = pCam.OBBInFrustum(inst.GetBoundingBox(), inst.GetWorldMatrix());
			//int cull = pCam.AABBInFrustum(inst.GetBoundingBox());
			//int cull = pCam.SphereInFrustum(inst.GetSphereCenterWorld(), inst.GetSphereBoundingRadius());

switch(cull)
		{
			case INSIDE:
				inst.SetVisible(true);
				inst.SetAllRenderablesVisible(true);
				++mInstInSceneVisible;
				break;

case OUTSIDE:
				inst.SetVisible(false);
				inst.SetAllRenderablesVisible(false);
				break;

case INTERSECT:
				inst.SetVisible(true);
				++mInstInSceneVisible;

for(DWORD obj=0;obj<inst.GetNrRenderables();++obj)
				{
					if(pCam.OBBInFrustum(inst.GetRenderable(obj).GetBoundingBox(), inst.GetRenderable(obj).GetWorldMatrix()) != OUTSIDE)
			//		if(pCam.AABBInFrustum(inst.GetRenderable(obj).GetBoundingBox()) != OUTSIDE)
			//		if(pCam.SphereInFrustum(inst.GetRenderable(obj).GetSphereCenterWorld(),inst.GetRenderable(obj).GetSphereBoundingRadius()) == INSIDE)
					{
						inst.SetRenderableVisible(obj, true);
					}
					else inst.SetRenderableVisible(obj, false);
				}
				break;
		}
	}
	return true;
}

Edited by cozzie, 01 March 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#9 kalle_h   Members   -  Reputation: 1314

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Can you show your OBB vs frustum routine?

#10 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

No problem, here it is:

/**************************************************************************************/
/***									OBB IN FRUSTUM 						  CONST	***/
/*** ==> usage: before rendering, in scenegraph										***/
/*** ==> checks a OBB against the current frustum planes							***/
/**************************************************************************************/

int CD3dcam::OBBInFrustum(const BOUNDINGBOX &pBoundingBox, const D3DXMATRIX &pWorldMatrix) const
{
	D3DXVECTOR3				mAx, mAy, mAz;
	int _result = 99;

mAx = D3DXVECTOR3(pWorldMatrix._11, pWorldMatrix._12, pWorldMatrix._13);
	mAy = D3DXVECTOR3(pWorldMatrix._21, pWorldMatrix._22, pWorldMatrix._23);
	mAz = D3DXVECTOR3(pWorldMatrix._31, pWorldMatrix._32, pWorldMatrix._33);

float d, s;

for(int i=0;i<6;++i)
	{
		d = D3DXPlaneDotCoord(&mFrustumPlane[i], &pBoundingBox.OBBcenter);

s = fabs	(D3DXVec3Dot(&mAx, &D3DXVECTOR3(mFrustumPlane[i].a, mFrustumPlane[i].b, mFrustumPlane[i].c)) * pBoundingBox.OBBsize.x / 2.0f) +
			fabs	(D3DXVec3Dot(&mAy, &D3DXVECTOR3(mFrustumPlane[i].a, mFrustumPlane[i].b, mFrustumPlane[i].c)) * pBoundingBox.OBBsize.y / 2.0f) +
			fabs	(D3DXVec3Dot(&mAz, &D3DXVECTOR3(mFrustumPlane[i].a, mFrustumPlane[i].b, mFrustumPlane[i].c)) * pBoundingBox.OBBsize.z / 2.0f);

if(d < -s) return OUTSIDE;
		if(d+ -s < 0) _result = INTERSECT;	
	}
	if(_result == INTERSECT) return INTERSECT;
	else return INSIDE;
}

#11 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Implemented with succes, from the point of view of the result that is :)

LSpiro (and others); any feedback is appreciated.

bool CD3dmeshInst::UpdateBVWorldSpace()
{
	// WORLD MATRIX should be already updated
	if(!mDynamic) return false;

// FULL mesh
	if(mIsMoved || mIsRotated || mIsScaled)
	{
		// Update bounding sphere
		D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&mSphereCenterWorldspace, &mSphereCenterModelspace, &mMatWorld);
		mSphereBoundingRadius = mSphereBoundingRadiusBase * mScale;

// Update OBB - stays unchanged if no renderables 'exceed'
		for(int i=0;i<8;++i) D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&mBoundingBox.OBBcorners[i], &mBoundingBox.AABBcorners[i], &mMatWorld);
		UpdateAABBWorld(&mBoundingBox);

D3DXVec3TransformCoord(&mBoundingBox.OBBcenter, &mBoundingBox.AABBcenter, &mMatWorld);

// Update bounding volumes of all renderables + update Bounding Volume of parent/ instance
		for(size_t obj=0;obj<GetNrRenderables();++obj)
		{
			auto &renderable = mRenderables[obj];
			renderable.UpdateBVWorldSpace();

if(renderable.GetDynamic())
			{
				// UPDATE sphere radius is needed
				float dist = CoordToCoordDist(renderable.GetSphereCenterWorld(), mSphereCenterWorldspace);
				if(dist + renderable.GetSphereBoundingRadius() > mSphereBoundingRadius)
					mSphereBoundingRadius = dist + renderable.GetSphereBoundingRadius();

// Update OBB and AABB if needed
				if(UpdateOBB(&mBoundingBox, renderable.GetBoundingBox()))
				{
					UpdateAABBWorld(&mBoundingBox);
				}
			}
		}
	}
	return true;
}

// updating an OBB if needed

/***								UPDATE OBB										***/
/*** ==> usage: to update the OBB if another/ child impacts the OBB 				***/
/*** ==> compares parent and child OBB and updates parent if child exceeds parent	***/

bool UpdateOBB(BOUNDINGBOX *pParentBox, const BOUNDINGBOX &pChildBox)
{
	if(pParentBox == NULL) return false;

// first find OBB MIN and MAX
	D3DXVECTOR3 parentOBBmin = pParentBox->OBBcorners[0];
	D3DXVECTOR3 parentOBBmax = pParentBox->OBBcorners[0];
	D3DXVECTOR3 childOBBmin = pChildBox.OBBcorners[0];
	D3DXVECTOR3 childOBBmax = pChildBox.OBBcorners[0];

for(int vtx=0;vtx<8;++vtx)
	{
		// parent
		if(pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].x < parentOBBmin.x) parentOBBmin.x = pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].x;
		if(pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].y < parentOBBmin.y) parentOBBmin.y = pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].y;
		if(pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].z < parentOBBmin.z) parentOBBmin.z = pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].z;

if(pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].x > parentOBBmax.x) parentOBBmax.x = pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].x;
		if(pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].y > parentOBBmax.y) parentOBBmax.y = pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].y;
		if(pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].z > parentOBBmax.z) parentOBBmax.z = pParentBox->OBBcorners[vtx].z;

// child
		if(pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].x < childOBBmin.x) childOBBmin.x = pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].x;
		if(pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].y < childOBBmin.y) childOBBmin.y = pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].y;
		if(pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].z < childOBBmin.z) childOBBmin.z = pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].z;

if(pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].x > childOBBmax.x) childOBBmax.x = pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].x;
		if(pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].y > childOBBmax.y) childOBBmax.y = pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].y;
		if(pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].z > childOBBmax.z) childOBBmax.z = pChildBox.OBBcorners[vtx].z;
	}

// check if child 'exceeds' parent
	bool changed = false;
	D3DXVECTOR3 newOBBmin = parentOBBmin;
	D3DXVECTOR3 newOBBmax = parentOBBmax;

if(childOBBmin.x < parentOBBmin.x) { newOBBmin.x = childOBBmin.x; changed = true;	};
	if(childOBBmin.y < parentOBBmin.y) { newOBBmin.y = childOBBmin.y; changed = true;	};
	if(childOBBmin.z < parentOBBmin.z) { newOBBmin.z = childOBBmin.z; changed = true;	};

if(childOBBmax.x > parentOBBmax.x) { newOBBmax.x = childOBBmax.x; changed = true;	};
	if(childOBBmax.y > parentOBBmax.y) { newOBBmax.y = childOBBmax.y; changed = true;	};
	if(childOBBmax.z > parentOBBmax.z) { newOBBmax.z = childOBBmax.z; changed = true;	};

if(changed)
	{
		// update OBB corners
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[0].x = newOBBmin.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[0].y = newOBBmin.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[0].z = newOBBmin.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[1].x = newOBBmax.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[1].y = newOBBmax.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[1].z = newOBBmax.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[2].x = newOBBmax.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[2].y = newOBBmax.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[2].z = newOBBmin.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[3].x = newOBBmin.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[3].y = newOBBmax.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[3].z = newOBBmin.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[4].x = newOBBmin.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[4].y = newOBBmin.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[4].z = newOBBmax.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[5].x = newOBBmax.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[5].y = newOBBmin.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[5].z = newOBBmax.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[6].x = newOBBmax.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[6].y = newOBBmin.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[6].z = newOBBmin.z;

pParentBox->OBBcorners[7].x = newOBBmin.x;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[7].y = newOBBmax.y;
		pParentBox->OBBcorners[7].z = newOBBmax.z;

pParentBox->OBBsize.x = newOBBmax.x - newOBBmin.x;
		pParentBox->OBBsize.y = newOBBmax.y - newOBBmin.y;
		pParentBox->OBBsize.z = newOBBmax.z - newOBBmin.z;

pParentBox->OBBcenter = newOBBmax - (pParentBox->OBBsize / 2.0f);
		return true;
	}
	return false;
}

#12 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12966

0Likes

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

I was optimizing UpdateOBB() when I realized you store your OBB’s as 8 corners.
A bounding box is not (ever) stored as 8 corners.
Store it as 3 axes with non-normalized length values and a center point.
If maintaining and working with an OBB is too complex, use an AABB instead.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 03 March 2014 - 06:04 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#13 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thanks LSpiro.

Here's a bit more background on what I do;

- per mesh instance (parent) and renderable I keep track of an OBB with 8 corners + X/Y/Z size AND of an AABB in worldspace.

(below the code I use)

- my camera class can cull either a point, a sphere with radius, an OBB or an AABB in worldspace

(below also the code)

I actually do that you say when I cull an OBB against the frustum, but my definitions are a bit confusing. I use the 8 'OBB' corners to calculate the AABB in worldspace.
If you have some advice on where my definitions are off and how to clean it up a bit, would be very appreciated. I want to keep the availability of checking against an OBB and AABB (world) and keep track of both of them (per renderable and mesh instance).

/***								CREATE AABB										***/
/*** ==> usage: after meshinstance loading, before rendering						***/
/*** ==> creates AABB in modelspace, untransformed. corners, center etc.- INITAL	***/

void CreateAABB(const TVERTEX pVtxArray[], const DWORD pStart, const DWORD pNr, BOUNDINGBOX *pBox)
{
	// MIN and MAX vertices - modelspace
	pBox->AABBmin.x = pVtxArray[pStart].position.x;
	pBox->AABBmin.y = pVtxArray[pStart].position.y;
	pBox->AABBmin.z = pVtxArray[pStart].position.z;

pBox->AABBmax.x = pVtxArray[pStart].position.x;
	pBox->AABBmax.y = pVtxArray[pStart].position.y;
	pBox->AABBmax.z = pVtxArray[pStart].position.z;

for(DWORD vc=pStart;vc<pStart+pNr;++vc)
	{
		if(pVtxArray[vc].position.x < pBox->AABBmin.x) pBox->AABBmin.x = pVtxArray[vc].position.x;
		if(pVtxArray[vc].position.x > pBox->AABBmax.x) pBox->AABBmax.x = pVtxArray[vc].position.x;

if(pVtxArray[vc].position.y < pBox->AABBmin.y) pBox->AABBmin.y = pVtxArray[vc].position.y;
		if(pVtxArray[vc].position.y > pBox->AABBmax.y) pBox->AABBmax.y = pVtxArray[vc].position.y;

if(pVtxArray[vc].position.z < pBox->AABBmin.z) pBox->AABBmin.z = pVtxArray[vc].position.z;
		if(pVtxArray[vc].position.z > pBox->AABBmax.z) pBox->AABBmax.z = pVtxArray[vc].position.z;
	}

pBox->AABBsize.x = pBox->AABBmax.x - pBox->AABBmin.x;
	pBox->AABBsize.y = pBox->AABBmax.y - pBox->AABBmin.y;
	pBox->AABBsize.z = pBox->AABBmax.z - pBox->AABBmin.z;

pBox->AABBcenter = pBox->AABBmax - (pBox->AABBsize / 2.0f);

// FULL 8 vertices of the AABB - modelspace
	pBox->AABBcorners[0].x = pBox->AABBmin.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[0].y = pBox->AABBmin.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[0].z = pBox->AABBmin.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[1].x = pBox->AABBmax.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[1].y = pBox->AABBmax.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[1].z = pBox->AABBmax.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[2].x = pBox->AABBmax.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[2].y = pBox->AABBmax.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[2].z = pBox->AABBmin.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[3].x = pBox->AABBmin.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[3].y = pBox->AABBmax.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[3].z = pBox->AABBmin.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[4].x = pBox->AABBmin.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[4].y = pBox->AABBmin.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[4].z = pBox->AABBmax.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[5].x = pBox->AABBmax.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[5].y = pBox->AABBmin.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[5].z = pBox->AABBmax.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[6].x = pBox->AABBmax.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[6].y = pBox->AABBmin.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[6].z = pBox->AABBmin.z;

pBox->AABBcorners[7].x = pBox->AABBmin.x;
	pBox->AABBcorners[7].y = pBox->AABBmax.y;
	pBox->AABBcorners[7].z = pBox->AABBmax.z;

pBox->created = true;
}

// OBB CORNERS = AABB CORNERS * WORLD MATRIX OF MESH/ RENDERABLE

/***								UPDATE AABB WORLD								***/
/*** ==> usage: when updating the bounding volume AABB in worldpace					***/
/*** ==> uses OBB corners to find min max and size to define AABB in worldspace		***/

bool UpdateAABBWorld(BOUNDINGBOX *pBox)
{
	if(pBox == NULL) return false;

// MIN and MAX vertices - modelspace
	pBox->AABBworldmin.x = pBox->OBBcorners[0].x;
	pBox->AABBworldmin.y = pBox->OBBcorners[0].y;
	pBox->AABBworldmin.z = pBox->OBBcorners[0].z;

pBox->AABBworldmax.x = pBox->OBBcorners[0].x;
	pBox->AABBworldmax.y = pBox->OBBcorners[0].y;
	pBox->AABBworldmax.z = pBox->OBBcorners[0].z;

for(int j=0;j<8;++j)
	{
		if(pBox->OBBcorners[j].x < pBox->AABBworldmin.x) pBox->AABBworldmin.x = pBox->OBBcorners[j].x;
		if(pBox->OBBcorners[j].x > pBox->AABBworldmax.x) pBox->AABBworldmax.x = pBox->OBBcorners[j].x;

if(pBox->OBBcorners[j].y < pBox->AABBworldmin.y) pBox->AABBworldmin.y = pBox->OBBcorners[j].y;
		if(pBox->OBBcorners[j].y > pBox->AABBworldmax.y) pBox->AABBworldmax.y = pBox->OBBcorners[j].y;

if(pBox->OBBcorners[j].z < pBox->AABBworldmin.z) pBox->AABBworldmin.z = pBox->OBBcorners[j].z;
		if(pBox->OBBcorners[j].z > pBox->AABBworldmax.z) pBox->AABBworldmax.z = pBox->OBBcorners[j].z;
	}
	pBox->AABBworldsize = pBox->AABBworldmax - pBox->AABBworldmin;
	return true;
}

// CULLING FUNCTIONS OF CAMERA CLASS

/***									OBB IN FRUSTUM 						  CONST	***/
/*** ==> checks a OBB against the current frustum planes							***/

int CD3dcam::OBBInFrustum(const BOUNDINGBOX &pBoundingBox, const D3DXMATRIX &pWorldMatrix) const
{
	D3DXVECTOR3				mAx, mAy, mAz;
	int _result = 99;

mAx = D3DXVECTOR3(pWorldMatrix._11, pWorldMatrix._12, pWorldMatrix._13);
	mAy = D3DXVECTOR3(pWorldMatrix._21, pWorldMatrix._22, pWorldMatrix._23);
	mAz = D3DXVECTOR3(pWorldMatrix._31, pWorldMatrix._32, pWorldMatrix._33);

float d, s;

for(int i=0;i<6;++i)
	{
		d = D3DXPlaneDotCoord(&mFrustumPlane[i], &pBoundingBox.OBBcenter);

s = fabs	(D3DXVec3Dot(&mAx, &D3DXVECTOR3(mFrustumPlane[i].a, mFrustumPlane[i].b, mFrustumPlane[i].c)) * pBoundingBox.OBBsize.x / 2.0f) +
			fabs	(D3DXVec3Dot(&mAy, &D3DXVECTOR3(mFrustumPlane[i].a, mFrustumPlane[i].b, mFrustumPlane[i].c)) * pBoundingBox.OBBsize.y / 2.0f) +
			fabs	(D3DXVec3Dot(&mAz, &D3DXVECTOR3(mFrustumPlane[i].a, mFrustumPlane[i].b, mFrustumPlane[i].c)) * pBoundingBox.OBBsize.z / 2.0f);

if(d < -s) return OUTSIDE;
		if(d+ -s < 0) _result = INTERSECT;	
	}
	if(_result == INTERSECT) return INTERSECT;
	else return INSIDE;
}

/***								AABB IN FRUSTUM 						  CONST	***/
/*** ==> checks a AABB in worldspace against frustum planes, using pos/neg vertex	***/

int CD3dcam::AABBInFrustum(const BOUNDINGBOX &pBoundingBox) const
{
	D3DXVECTOR3	_pvtx, _nvtx;
	bool		intersect = false;
	float		dist;

for(int i=0;i<6;++i)
	{
		// find the nearest and farthest point along normal direction
		_pvtx.x = pBoundingBox.OBBcenter.x + (pBoundingBox.AABBworldsize.x / 2.0f) * mFrustumPlaneSign[i].x;
		_pvtx.y = pBoundingBox.OBBcenter.y + (pBoundingBox.AABBworldsize.y / 2.0f) * mFrustumPlaneSign[i].y;
		_pvtx.z = pBoundingBox.OBBcenter.z + (pBoundingBox.AABBworldsize.z / 2.0f) * mFrustumPlaneSign[i].z;

_nvtx.x = pBoundingBox.OBBcenter.x - (pBoundingBox.AABBworldsize.x / 2.0f) * mFrustumPlaneSign[i].x;
		_nvtx.y = pBoundingBox.OBBcenter.y - (pBoundingBox.AABBworldsize.y / 2.0f) * mFrustumPlaneSign[i].y;
		_nvtx.z = pBoundingBox.OBBcenter.z - (pBoundingBox.AABBworldsize.z / 2.0f) * mFrustumPlaneSign[i].z;

// check positive vertex; further along the normal's direction
		dist = D3DXPlaneDotCoord(&mFrustumPlane[i], &_pvtx);
		if(dist < 0) return OUTSIDE;		// wrong side of plane, completely outside

// check negative vertex; less far along the normal's direction
		dist = D3DXPlaneDotCoord(&mFrustumPlane[i], &_nvtx);
		if(dist < 0) intersect = true;
	}
	if(intersect) return INTERSECT;
	return INSIDE;
}

#14 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Addition:

typedef struct BOUNDINGBOX
{
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBmin;		// AABB in modelspace
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBmax;
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBcenter;
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBsize;
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBcorners[8];

D3DXVECTOR3 OBBcenter;		// OBB in worldspace now
	D3DXVECTOR3 OBBsize;
	D3DXVECTOR3 OBBcorners[8];

D3DXVECTOR3 AABBworldmin;	// AABB in worldspace, P/N-vertex now stored in CD3dcam class
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBworldmax;
	D3DXVECTOR3 AABBworldsize;

bool		created;

BOUNDINGBOX():created(false) { };
} BOUNDINGBOX;

#15 kalle_h   Members   -  Reputation: 1314

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

304bytes for AABB.

#16 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Yes, for now that's the case because I want support both obb and aabb. Maybe I could decrease the bytes a bit by doing some calculations in the obb/aabb check functions itself rather then during updating. Is that what you implicitly meant? :)

#17 kalle_h   Members   -  Reputation: 1314

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Yes, for now that's the case because I want support both obb and aabb. Maybe I could decrease the bytes a bit by doing some calculations in the obb/aabb check functions itself rather then during updating. Is that what you implicitly meant? smile.png

Everything more than 24bytes is wasting. I support only OBB's by doing frustum culling at object space and I only store static mesh AABB at once(not per instance). Memory usage and bandwith is minimal but frustum culling is very accurate and fast.

#18 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

OK, I'm not sure if I'd make it with 24bytes for both the obb and aabb :)

Can you explain a bit more on what you mean;

- do you only have a OBB on 'mesh instance' level? (both static and dynamic)

- and on renderable level only a aabb, also for collisions?

(not sure what your/ the definition of object space is)

I understand that an improvement would be, that I just have a AABB (worldspace) for static mesh instances and renderables. Without the memory wasting this is exactly what I do, I only update the bounding volumes for dynamic mesh instances (defined per renderable). It feels a bit like a waste to define 2 structs/classes; one for dynamic boundingbox and one for static (just to save the bytes).

#19 kalle_h   Members   -  Reputation: 1314

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

For each mesh that I load I have calculated also AABB in that space where its modelled. I never transform these to anywhere and there is just single AABB per mesh.

When I do frustum culling I have viewProjection matrix, mesh static AABB and object matrix. First I calculate modelViewProjection matrix and use that to extract frustum planes. This will give me frustum that is defined in object space so I basically do OBB vs frustum culling.

bool static extentSignedTest(const Vector4f& p, const Vector3f& center, const Vector3f& extent)
{
        return (dot(Vector3(p), center) + dot(abs(Vector3(p)), extent) < -p.w);
}

bool static isAABBInFrustumReference (const AABB& box, const Matrix44& frustumMatrix)
{                      
        const Vector4f  rowX                    = frustumMatrix.getRow(0);
        const Vector4f  rowY                    = frustumMatrix.getRow(1);
        const Vector4f  rowZ                    = frustumMatrix.getRow(2);
        const Vector4f  rowW                    = frustumMatrix.getRow(3);

const Vector3f& center =  box.getCenter();
        const Vector3f& extent =  box.getExtents();

// Left and right planes              
        if (extentSignedTest(rowW + rowX, center, extent))
                return false;

if (extentSignedTest(rowW - rowX, center, extent))
                return false;

// Bottom and top planes
        if (extentSignedTest(rowW + rowY, center, extent))
                return false;

if (extentSignedTest(rowW - rowY, center, extent))
                return false;

// Near and far planes
        if (extentSignedTest(rowW + rowZ, center, extent))
                return false;

if (extentSignedTest(rowW - rowZ, center, extent))
                return false;

return true;
}

#20 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1551

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Ah ok, I get it. You don't transform the AABB to worldspace/ an OBB using it's world matrix, you do it the other way around. Frustum to modelspace.

That explains why you need a lot less vector3 per mesh / instance / renderable.

On the performance side I'm not sure if there's much benefit, because with both approaches you have to go from one space to another, for the object OR for the frustum.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS