• Create Account

data structure for client list

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 rogerdv   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I have started an educational project to learn about networking. I built a small server using enet that receives UDP packets and replies to clients, next step is to actually have multiple connected clients. I dont plan to create my own WoW killer mmorpg, but I would like to learn the right way to do things. I was plannnig to use an std::map to eep the list of clients indexed by their ip address, but then I thought that it wouldnt be optimal when the server needs to find client neighbors to propagate changes (I think that kdtrees are the right data structure to optimize that). Then I thought that I should have an  std::map indexed by IP and a kdtree with "visible" entities. And finally, I realized that using IPs mnaybe is not a wise way to index clients, because it would limit connections  to one per IP. What is the correct approach to this problem?

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4539

3Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Typically, you keep several data structures with "clients" or "client entities" in them.
You'll want a hash table (typically unordered_map, not regular map) from source IP:port to client.
You'll also want a spatial index, as you say a kd tree or perhaps easier a loose quadtree.
You may also want various queues for notifications, periodic tasks, database checkpoints, etc.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

PARTNERS