• Create Account

Simple Question BYTE->float C++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 mynameisnafe   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

I have

unsigned char RGBA =[] { 255, 255, 255, 255 };

struct vector4 { float r, float g, float b, float a; } colour;

That's probably not valid C++, still

How do I set colour?

Sponsor:

#2 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3970

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

unsigned char RGBA[] = { 255, 255, 255, 255 };
struct vector4 { float r, float g, float b, float a; } colour;

float* ptr = (float*)colour;
for ( unsigned char i : RGBA )
	*ptr++ = i / 255.f;
* Untested
* Subject to compiler scrutiny; check generated assembly

WW91J3ZlIGdvdCBhIHNlY3JldCBib251cyBwb2ludCE=

#3 mynameisnafe   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Beautiful, thank you. I should know this..!

Actually come to think of it - what kind of cast should that be for a C++? Just a std::static_cast ?

Edited by mynameisnafe, 27 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#4 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 1568

2Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

On a more generic level, floating point color values range from 0.0 to 1.0, so all thats required is a simple scaling of the ratios.  To squash anything to be between 0 and 1, just divide by the max value of that other thing.  (There is slightly more work involved if the ranges don't both start at 0.0)

Edited by ferrous, 27 February 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#5 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14292

9Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

More idiomatic C++ solution:

struct ColorRGBA
{
    ColorRGBA(unsigned char rgba[4])
    {
        r = static_cast<float>(rgba[0]) / 255.0f;
        g = static_cast<float>(rgba[1]) / 255.0f;
        b = static_cast<float>(rgba[2]) / 255.0f;
        a = static_cast<float>(rgba[3]) / 255.0f;
    }

float r, g, b, a;
};

unsigned char RGBA[] = { 255, 255, 255, 255 };
ColorRGBA c = ColorRGBA(RGBA);

#6 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18888

4Likes

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

I don't believe the static cast is needed, unless your compiler has a nonstandard warning message.

Dividing the types char / float is going to follow a standards-required implicit conversion to make them the same types, float/float. Since the char value can be exactly represented by a float, no compiler message is required.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#7 tivolo   Members   -  Reputation: 883

1Likes

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:05 AM

I don't believe the static cast is needed, unless your compiler has a nonstandard warning message.

Dividing the types char / float is going to follow a standards-required implicit conversion to make them the same types, float/float. Since the char value can be exactly represented by a float, no compiler message is required.

I'd argue that in the general case it would be better to use a solution with explicit static_casts as presented by ApochPiQ, because you can immediately see the four casts (and can also search for them), also making it easier to spot potentially expensive operations (load-hit-stores on PowerPC architectures).

But that's probably a matter of taste.

#8 mynameisnafe   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Okay a lot of replies and a lot to bear in mind - I'm young, I've cut my chops coding C-like languages a bit and I do need to know more about compilers I find. I just got my first job out of uni a few months ago and it sometimes feels like I just know nothing at all aha!

I like what you say about having explicit static_cast s -- I read Effective C++ recently. ApochPiQ - that looks perfect for my needs. 

I like the ptr++ for-loop I must say - I get the impression it'd be fast, and it's pretty to look at, but it wouldn't let me cast with static_cast or (float*) -c-style cast, to cast the struct of floats to a (float*) - is this something to do with the virtual function table of the struct Colour ( since it has constructor, copy constructor, and a method) ? This is where a dynamic_cast comes in? And I don't really need it to be doing a dynamic cast, right?

I've deleted the code that I wrote based on the ptr++ approach so I'm unable to show you what I tried but it was pretty much verbatim - I didn't get to the for loop! (Oh yeah I'm using VS2010)

Essentially, the first post was an attempt to simplify:

class GLBitmap
{
	private:
		Pixel *pixels;	// BYTE rgba[4]
		int width;
		int height;
        public:
		Pixel* FetchPixel( int x, int y )
		{
			return ( pixels ? &pixels[ (x * height) + y] : nullptr );
	        }

Usage:

const Pixel* pixel = bmp.FetchPixel(x, z); // GLBitmap bmp;

float r = b2f(pixel->R); // Did this macro work?
// Elsewhere:
inline float b2f(BYTE b) { return float(b / 255.0f); }

Turns out this inline float function 'just works' ?!

So is this an implicit static cast on the compilers request because it sees me not using static_cast<float>(b) ?

Edit - as you say - it 'just works' because a BYTE or unsigned fits a float, and that's kind of the point of bitmaps?

Edited by mynameisnafe, 28 February 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#9 nfactorial   Members   -  Reputation: 719

0Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

You do not need the explicit cast, and the explicit cast offers nothing other than extra typing. It is a standard behaviour of a C++ compiler to promote chars to floats in these calculations. The casts actually make it less readable imho, as they imply there's something non-standard going on and forces someone to parse it all with their eyes.

A straight forward rgba[ 0 ] / 255.0f etc. is plenty enough.imho

n!

#10 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 14292

3Likes

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I don't really care if the cast is "necessary." I still like having it there because implicit type conversions are evil and stupid, and having the cast relieves me from having to remember the inane C++ implicit conversion rules every time I visit the function.

Just a personal preference thing.

*shrug*

#11 Pink Horror   Members   -  Reputation: 1087

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

I like the ptr++ for-loop I must say - I get the impression it'd be fast, and it's pretty to look at, but it wouldn't let me cast with static_cast or (float*) -c-style cast, to cast the struct of floats to a (float*) - is this something to do with the virtual function table of the struct Colour ( since it has constructor, copy constructor, and a method) ? This is where a dynamic_cast comes in? And I don't really need it to be doing a dynamic cast, right?

No, it has nothing to do with virtual function tables or dynamic_cast. It's because colour is a struct and (float*) is a pointer. If you really want to do this cast, the C-style cast or a reinterpret_cast should work on the address of colour, (&colour), though I don't really recommend doing this. You could use a union inside colour if you want it to have 4 floats that are also used as an array.

#12 mynameisnafe   Members   -  Reputation: 242

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

I was just looking for the simplest way really.. 

ApochPiQ's first post covers that - I'll be using it often so I know what it's for. I saw a macro somewhere that converted an int to 3 floats - that was cool - but right now, I just want to look at some pixel's colour in Visual Studio! Thanks guys

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS