• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Game Genre Popularity?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 SonMan   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hello Everyone!

For those of you that play games, what genre of game is your favorite and which is your least favorite? An if your a game designer, which is your favorite and least favorite genre to design?  An if your a game programmer, do you have a preference of genre projects to work on? I was, in particular, wondering which genre was most popular from everyones viewpoint these days before i try to create a game.

Also, Is it proper to very broadly say that games are grouped under either science fiction or fantasy genres still?

Thank you for sharing and enlightening me...

SM

Edit: if this is not the correct forum, would an admin please put this in a more proper place? I am an wanna be game designer is why i put this here. thank you.

Edited by SonMan, 02 March 2014 - 08:48 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3875

3Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think it's better to ask on some gamer's forum. We are desgners here, not necessarily a representative group :D

Plus, I think there is a danger with the approach "make whatever is popular right now", for me (as a developer), it never worked out well :D

Also, I think you might be mixing genre with theme (genre is RTS, theme is SF or fantasy;Warcaft is genre: RTS theme: fantasy, Starcaft is genre: RTS theme: SF)

My tastes: turn based strategies, but when I was younger my favourite were RPGs.

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

#3 SonMan   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for replying Acharis! Your right. I mixed the terms theme and genre up. My apologies. Thank you for your very informative reply. I am not necessarily going to go with the most popular genre nor theme for my first big game  but i was very curious as to which, in both catagories, are most popular with the game designers and also programmers and general players. Since i want to design games more than program them, i am especially very interested in everyones viewpoint here in the game design forum. Thank you again for correcting me!

SM

#4 Aether Born   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Stealth based action, adventure titles. Sci fi (leave it to the imagination)

#5 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Favorite genres: 3D Semi/Open-world action adventure and racing games.
Least favorite: RPG, FPS games.

Worst genre: Text-based games

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#6 ivan.spasov   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1770

0Likes

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Most of my top genres are pretty much out of order and not in high demand right now. I like the Quake 3/Unreal Tournament style shooters, though by this point in time such games simply cannot be found. I really like turn-based strategies with the absolute cliche favorite in Heroes 3, I also like the Action Adventure genre that is still pretty much alive and well these days. I also like the cover-based third person shooter, Gears of War style. To add to the list, I especially enjoy an RPG with a long and good story, not a grind-fest however. And last but not least, fighting games, primarily arcade style, though I pretty much like all of them with very few exceptions.

The ones I dislike playing would be just about all non-fighting sports games, grind-fest MMO games (excluding the ones that actually have a story behind them), everything Guitar Hero related, probably just about any motion control game on the market. There are probably some more to add here but I can't think of any right now.

What I would go on to design and program however is a totally different story. From the game design perspective, I take it as a personal challenge to make the game into something good and interesting, regardless if I find the topic good. If the play testers like it, then I'm happy. A project I had a while ago involved designing an achievement and perk system and a flexible and configurable rule set system in a football quiz. Both football and quiz are not in my top favorites, to say the least, however after we were done with the game and released it on Android and iOS, I was happy to note that it circulated for quite some time in the App Store's top 10 free sports apps. 

In terms of programming it's really much much easier, as I tend to see the thing as a system that needs to be built, regardless of genre.

#7 traghera   Members   -  Reputation: 421

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:54 AM

I think it's kinda hard to pick an actual genre when nobody really knows how to classify games anyway.

I mean yeah, we got straight-arrows like RTS, FPS, RPGs... then we have RTS-Shooters,Stealth-Based-Shooters, RPG-Shooters, Casuals(whatever that may mean), Mobile Games(aren't they the same as casuals?) 2D Scrollers With Rpg elements and some strategy design... and then we got games like "Dear Esther" or "Loneliness"...

So yeah, I think picking a favourite genre is kinda hard/wrong/confusing.

#8 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4980

4Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Well, MMOs are my favorite to design.  Sandparks, as it says in my signature.  Which is basically an RPG/sim hybrid, also a thing I really like in single player games.  I play at least 70% of the game genres that exist though, and at least half of those would be fun and interesting to design.

The MMO Preferences Survey I recently created and got 114 respondents for happy.png had two pairs of questions about story genre and setting, I'll paste some of the data here for you.  The data is % of all respondents who might enjoy a game with each setting.  Non-Earth fantasy was the most popular setting, though almost all settings were potentially likable to at least half of players surveyed.  War was the most popular atmosphere (vexing to me since I don't like it, and my favorite, Cheerful, was one of the least popular). dry.png I didn't get to look at the write-in results for this question yet.

Settings you might like in an MMO:

Modern Urban/Suburban 49% 56 Post-Apocalypse (urban ruins and scavenging, zombies are optional) 67% 76 Archeological (tombs, fantasy ruins, alien ruins, anything Myst-like) 63% 72 Realistic Historical 38% 43 Historical Fantasy 64% 73 Non-Earth Fantasy 82% 93 Steampunk Or Other Historical Science Fantasy 66% 75 Non-Earth Science-Fantasy 74% 84 Near-Future Science Fiction Involving Earth Or Humans 61% 69 Far Future Or Non-Earth Science Fiction 73% 83 School (could be a realistic school, a magical school, a ninja school, a space school, etc.) 17% 19 Uninhabited Island or Planet (this would only be a partial MMO setting, since players would have to have some kind of city or other place to interact.) 49% 56

Atmosphere you might enjoy in an MMO:

War - almost all of the story is about a war between two or three factions, and honor and revenge are probably themes. 76% 87 Politics, Blackmail, and Backstabbery - This is a story about secret maneuverings and manipulations, maybe brainwashing; probably some psychodrama in there. 68% 78 Gritty - the story is mostly about crime, drugs, supervillains, oppressive governments or corporations, enslavement, pollution, or other dark topic. 58% 66 Cheerful - the story is mostly about humor, romance, friendship, cleverness, teamwork, or wondrous adventure. 37% 42 Philosophical Or Surreal - There are probably references to Nietzsche, Kant, Locke, and Hobbes in there somewhere. 52% 59 Oldschool Heroism - whether about knights in shining armor or superheroes in capes or white-robed wizards, this is a story where the difference between good and evil is obvious and there are no gray areas. 69% 79 Other 10% 11

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#9 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3875

1Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

Nice survey sunandshadow smile.png I sorted it out for better reading.

BTW, if the pool was public, do you have the link?

Settings you might like in an MMO:

Non-Earth Fantasy 82% 93

Non-Earth Science-Fantasy 74% 84

Far Future Or Non-Earth Science Fiction 73% 83

Post-Apocalypse (urban ruins and scavenging, zombies are optional) 67% 76

Steampunk Or Other Historical Science Fantasy 66% 75

Historical Fantasy 64% 73

Archeological (tombs, fantasy ruins, alien ruins, anything Myst-like) 63% 72

Near-Future Science Fiction Involving Earth Or Humans 61% 69

Modern Urban/Suburban 49% 56

Uninhabited Island or Planet (this would only be a partial MMO setting, since players would have to have some kind of city or other place to interact.) 49% 56

Realistic Historical 38% 43

School (could be a realistic school, a magical school, a ninja school, a space school, etc.) 17% 19

Atmosphere you might enjoy in an MMO:

War - almost all of the story is about a war between two or three factions, and honor and revenge are probably themes. 76% 87

Oldschool Heroism - whether about knights in shining armor or superheroes in capes or white-robed wizards, this is a story where the difference between good and evil is obvious and there are no gray areas. 69% 79

Politics, Blackmail, and Backstabbery - This is a story about secret maneuverings and manipulations, maybe brainwashing; probably some psychodrama in there. 68% 78

Gritty - the story is mostly about crime, drugs, supervillains, oppressive governments or corporations, enslavement, pollution, or other dark topic. 58% 66

Philosophical Or Surreal - There are probably references to Nietzsche, Kant, Locke, and Hobbes in there somewhere. 52% 59

Cheerful - the story is mostly about humor, romance, friendship, cleverness, teamwork, or wondrous adventure. 37% 42

Other 10% 11

A few notes about the results (my interpetation):

- I wonder if you used word "medieval" if the "Realistic Historical" would not get more votes.

- Cheerful was destined to fail, and war was destined to win, mostly due to the descriptions. Cheerful lacks conflict. Maybe if you phrased it differently, like "War - a standard warfare between factions" and "Romance - a humorous story about love & revenge". Generally people "are supposed to" dislike anything "Cheerful" because "they are not kids anymore but old teenagers, even almost adults" smile.png Actually they might like it if you use different wording (it's like adding a lot of fighting a blood to, in its core, a romantic story (like InuYasha) and then males will be "allowed" to say they enjoy it too (because they could say they liked the blood, not the romance part) biggrin.png).

- Philosophical Or Surreal, yeah, they always claim they want it, but when you actually make it they don't want to play it because they find it too weird biggrin.png

Edited by Acharis, 06 March 2014 - 03:44 AM.

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

#10 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4980

0Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Nice survey sunandshadow smile.png I sorted it out for better reading.
BTW, if the pool was public, do you have the link?

Thank you. smile.png  The survey was public, I posted the link in the lounge about a week ago.  I deactivated it after responses slowed to a trickle so I wouldn't get new data coming in when I was in the middle of writing the data up.  The raw results are not publicly viewable (this is just not available at the survey site I used) but I'm writing them up.  2/3 of the survey respondents came from mmorpg.com, while the thread here in the lounge didn't get much response, so I've been posting the results in the Pub forum over there.  I've had one request so far to do a follow-up survey asking more detailed questions about game mechanics preferences.

A few notes about the results (my interpretation):

- I wonder if you used word "medieval" if the "Realistic Historical" would not get more votes.

- Cheerful was destined to fail, and war was destined to win, mostly due to the descriptions. Cheerful lacks conflict. Maybe if you phrased it differently, like "War - a standard warfare between factions" and "Romance - a humorous story about love & revenge". Generally people "are supposed to" dislike anything "Cheerful" because "they are not kids anymore but old teenagers, even almost adults" smile.png  Actually they might like it if you use different wording (it's like adding a lot of fighting a blood to, in its core, a romantic story (like InuYasha) and then males will be "allowed" to say they enjoy it too (because they could say they liked the blood, not the romance part) biggrin.png ).

- Philosophical Or Surreal, yeah, they always claim they want it, but when you actually make it they don't want to play it because they find it too weird biggrin.png

Oops, forgot I wanted to reply to this part too.

Most medieval games have some fantasy elements, and I specifically wanted to exclude those, and include things like WWI, WWII, the warring states period, the meiji period, and various tribal and prehistoric settings.

I must be unusual in that I'm an un-fan of large-scale violent conflict. I really prefer stories where the death toll at the end is 0, or at most 1-2 villains get killed at the climax. I really prefer to have monsters as opponents in combat, not humanoids, and have the monsters be things that I am hunting for useful products or because they are a nuisance to some NPC, not because they are evil. There are still all sorts of possibilities for conflict in cheerful games; racing and sports rivalries, romantic rivalries, tasks that need to be accomplished before a time limit expires, multiple tasks that compete for your attention and you have to balance your resource expenditure between them so neither fails, barriers of various kinds (puzzles, monetary costs, mazes) that need to be overcome, clues to mysteries that need to be found, and NPCs who need to be convinced to change their opinion or whose respect needs to be earned or who need to be bribed to get them to help. I also like humorous incompetent villains, e.g. Team Rocket.

Edited by sunandshadow, 06 March 2014 - 05:20 PM.

Phone game idea available free to someone who will develop it (Alphadoku game - the only existing phone game of this type is both for windows phone only and awful. PM for details.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

#11 Valoon   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 435

1Likes

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I am not a game designer, only a sound designer but the ones I love the most to do are definitly Sci-fi and Fantasy (magic and monsters) and the worst are probably the kind where you can find every sound by just recording them, so the realistic one based on our period (except the car games).

Edited by Valoon, 07 March 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#12 SonMan   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

I appreciate the replies everyone. Very interesting.  Your survey results were great sunandshadow!  Thanks again to everyone that replied.

SM

#13 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2204

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

I was, in particular, wondering which genre was most popular from everyones viewpoint these days before i try to create a game.

latest sales figures should tell you that.

surely some website tracks the top 10 or 20 selling games on a given platform.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1988"

rocklandsoftware.net

#14 Valoon   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 435

0Likes

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Well the most popular game in the world right now is LoL.

MOBA as they are called are the biggest thing these days. I don't really think you want to try to make one of those on your own tho, especially when you have to compete with LoL and Dota 2. Many have tried (even companies) and they all failed very hard. Maybe Blizzard will change that tho but still.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS