• Create Account

I wanted to enter into this vast mobile game development world but unaware

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 kish_dev   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi Maybe this questioned has been raised many times but I couldn't find my answer. I wanted to enter into this vast mobile game development world but unaware of what language or sdk to use. Can someone please suggest me where to start or using Free SDK for starting. I have C# programming background and currently working as Backend Web Developer, I have been using Eclispe for past one week but read about SDK which seems like easy to build but hard to learn and also expensive. It would great if some expert can shade some lights.

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 rAm_y_   Members   -  Reputation: 481

5Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

For Andriod OS you use Java, for that you would need to download the Andriod SDK which comes with an emulator, the emulator is pretty slow but there are pre-made third party ISO images(not from google) that can be loaded into virtual machines etc to speed things up. You can also use C/C++ and OpenGL to some degree, I believe with Andriod, you need the NDK(native dev kit). You will also need all the Java runtimes etc.

For the iPhone, well that's IOS OS, I believe you use objective-C with whatever graphics libraries Apple provide, then there is the Windows Phone, latest edition is 8 for which you will need Windows 8 installed on you PC if you are to develop for it(not for WP 7 however), you can use C#/VB/VC++/CLI + DirectX. Various other graphics libraries as well, as well as loads of mobile game engines both 2D and 3D exist.

Android is the biggest market by far but if you have C# skills the Windows Phone would be the obvious choice.

#3 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 815

-3Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Here's a great tutorial you should check out any time you want info on getting started in mobile games:

http://bit.ly/1c4NfgB

Edited by Shaquil, 04 March 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2949

8Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

If you have a C# background and want do do games for mobile, you should check out Unity.

#5 kish_dev   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I have a plan to build one game which needs to support  Androids first and iOS later. I have started looking into the Eclipse for android but just wondering if i am heading in the right direction. Once i am happy with the build which is gonna take good amount of my time prob 3-4 mnths to know how it works and make work.

After that i wanted to support it for iOS as well. Or should i try using some SDK(not pro version ) which is free? Thanks for you time again guys.

#6 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2949

3Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

The problem with wanting to do a game for both android and iOS is that those systems are very different.

You will need to have some kind of strategy from the start on how to do that, or you might find yourself having to rewrite it from scratch for the new platform.

Doing this by yourself is a big undertaking, it is easier for you to use something already available.

With the free version of Unity you can write your game in C# and publish to iOS, android and windows phone, I think it would be perfect for you.

#7 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2563

5Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

The following are some cross platform options for making games for IOS and Android.

Game Maker Studio: https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Multimedia Fusion 2: http://www.clickteam.com/multimedia-fusion-2

Cocos2d: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/

Emo Framework: http://code.google.com/p/emo-framework/

Citrus Engine: http://citrusengine.com/

There are a LOT of options out there! With so many options available if your desire is to make a cross platform game, I highly recommend using an existing solution instead of making your own.

Edited by shadowisadog, 05 March 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#8 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

What of Unity that uses one language for all (web, pc, ios, android etc.)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#9 kish_dev   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

The problem with wanting to do a game for both android and iOS is that those systems are very different.

You will need to have some kind of strategy from the start on how to do that, or you might find yourself having to rewrite it from scratch for the new platform.

Doing this by yourself is a big undertaking, it is easier for you to use something already available.

With the free version of Unity you can write your game in C# and publish to iOS, android and windows phone, I think it would be perfect for you.

#10 kish_dev   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Sounds great, I have planned to start using Unity Free version. Will there any difficulties or limitation during development phase using free version?

#11 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22718

4Likes

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

You can use Unity, just be aware that it is very big.

Unity is WONDERFUL if you have a small team with experienced programmers, modelers, and animators. If it is just you, know that you will be doing more than just programming, you will also need to fill all the other roles of game development.

It can be very overwhelming for a beginner. You certainly can do it, and there are many programmer-only games developed using Unity, just know going in that the system is large and is designed for the needs of professional team.

As was written above, there are many options available to you. Some are more beginner-friendly than others.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

#12 TechnoGoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2797

0Likes

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

I've not used it myself but if you've got a background in c# and want to build for android and IOS you could try Xamarin.  I would imagine though you need to be strong with software design and architecture when working with it to get any value out of the cross platform support.  And I would imagine that you have to do extensive device specific coding with it.

#13 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 815

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

Here's a great tutorial you should check out any time you want info on getting started in mobile games:

http://bit.ly/1c4NfgB

^ Dunno why my comment's getting so many downvotes. This is yet another of the endless posts on gamedev every single day asking the same question that has been asked here. It's not even a good question.

"But I wanna know what the guys on gamedev think!" Well here, I looked it up on gamedev for you. 

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?s=91066940eef8fce03e6859dbf8065824&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q='where to start mobile games'

Seriously, to everyone reading this, the next time you want to know where to start with anything, be it programming, cooking or mud wrestling, just look it up

Edited by Shaquil, 16 March 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#14 Bearhugger   Members   -  Reputation: 567

0Likes

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

One thing I'd avoid at all costs is writing your game directly in Java or Obj-C. While those are the "official" ways to program on Android and iOS, doing so will lock your code to one platform, and you don't want that. (Which is awesomely ironic for Java when you think about it. tongue.png)

The easiest way would be to use a readily made cross-platform game engine. Since you mentioned having experience in C#, you might be interested in Unity 3D. While I'm personally not a fan of writing games that depend on an proprietary engine I don't have the source code for, doing so will spare you the entire gory engine programming and get you to the meat of the game a lot faster, and Unity is more than good enough for Unity. (It's actually packed with features that 99% of the indies don't even have the means to use.)

If you have simple graphical needs and would like to get your hands dirty, you might also opt to write the game in portable C++ and use Java/Obj-C only to wrap the platform's API. It's a lot harder but it's very rewarding when you see the end of it. smile.png I really wish both Apple and Google made C++ a 1st class language like Microsoft, but I guess that helping developers to port their games to the competition is against their best interests.

Then there are middle grounds like MonoGame or OGRE for mobiles. Basically you have the graphic rendering library but not an entire game engine. I dunno how good or stable those libraries are though, I haven't tried them.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS