• Create Account

Acquired by _____!(fill in the blank)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Big companies are eating small development teams like that last piece of apple pie!

I have used a bunch of software over the years, some you may not have even heard of. Got plenty of viruses too (3,000+ I think). I am starting to see something very annoying these days. 

I stumble across a very neat software, something with great potential. Next thing I know... ACQUIRED BY GOOGLE! or BOUGHT BY APPLE! 

I wouldn't be surprised at the amount of money these big companies throw at gullible start-ups. Heck, I'd take a nice bill'. 

Autodesk has been buying up some nice 3d software and just sitting on them. Let's not even get into the patent wars. 

What is really going on in the software industry? Overall? Games are not exempt, but at least for now, they are just looking at indie developers. Watching them like vultures, ready to pounce like Simba from the Lion King. 

Meanwhile, I can't find any good software for free like I used to. So now I have shifted my software downloading obsession to App stores. 

Didn't someone trademark the word "App?" Or is it APP? or is it aPP? 

ehhh...

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Sponsor:

#2 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8006

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Autodesk has been buying up some nice 3d software and just sitting on them. Let's not even get into the patent wars.
What is really going on in the software industry?

This is business, same rules as in pro-sports, where clubs pay incredible amounts of money for players of other clubs just to send them directly to the bench. The trick: on your own bench he will rott, but atleast he will not be dangerous to your team any longer.

#3 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1782

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

There is still plenty of good useful free software. You just have to use Linux.

Also don't assume that these startups are gullible.  For a lot of these startups getting bought by larger companies is their entire buisness model.

#4 Ashaman73   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8006

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:41 AM

There is still plenty of good useful free software. You just have to use Linux.

... even on Windows smile.png

Btw, try to aquire open source, tools like blender or gimp. Both are really stinging autodesk and adobe, but it is hard to fight them.

#5 Dwarf King   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1919

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

Gimp and Blender are really awesome tools that cannot be ignored(Blender 2.69 now supports .fbx imports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Blender also supports .bvh imports for animation and can export Collada(.dae). Also Open Sourced free game engines(JMonkey, Torque 3D, Ogre3D(rendering) etc.) are many now at days. I have no problems finding free software for Windows.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

#6 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1782

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:40 AM

I used to hate Gimp and Blender but theyve come on leaps and bounds over the past few years and for most people who are not experts or pros (and even some who are) they are just as competant as Max or Photoshop.  Another tool I love using is InkScape.

#7 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5504

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

This just in... business is continuing as it has for the last several centuries.  Investors have been pursuing exit strategies, larger corporations are engaging in mergers and acquisitions, little guys sometimes make good.  Film at 11.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#8 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6280

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Meanwhile, I can't find any good software for free like I used to.

What sort of software for example? Be very surprised if there is anything outside of extreme niche that someone hasn't released free software for.

Speaking as someone who's been programming for much longer than there has been an internet, I think we are in a golden age of free content, and the shift towards ad-based revenue rather than retail in entertainment software means this is only going to improve.

I remember a time when you HAD to BUY a C++ compiler.

#9 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Oh, well I have a bunch already, I am thinking about new stuff. Let me see if I can post a list of what I have:

Gimp (no way I'm paying a subscription to use adobe)
Blender(hope they stay free and don't get bought out)
Sculptris(under Autodesk now)
Wings 3d
Google sketchup(sold to Trimble now)
Open Office (liber office on Linux)
Makehuman
Audacity
Winamp(not being developed anymore)
Maratis 3D(open sourced game engine I prefer)
QtCreator(just found out about this awesome IDE)

There are some very cheap software that I like too.

Poser 7 or 8
Touchdraw (cad app for Mac and ipad)
Hype 2(Mac)
Iwork (now free to all!)
Ilife(now free)

My list is much bigger than this though, I need to make a list of it.

Oh, I have a list of niche software too. I will post it later. Haha

#10 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Niche

Programming almost has no limits to the type of software that can be created. Don't we program to make things easier? So think of all the things that annoy you when making a game, and think of a program that will solve it. 

Audio

So, for the most part, there are bunches of software dedicated to complex graphics manipulation, but not as much attention is dedicated to audio. The most useful audio software I have used was Reason 4.0 because of this:

ReasonTech_08-0411.jpg?itok=vLP31aa7

Sound manipulation at it's greatest. You can surely use this software to create your own sounds. We have efficient ways of describing shapes, but how do we describe sounds? We have primitive shapes that can be sculpted into any shape imaginable, but are there primitive sounds we can sculpt into the sound of a human laughing? So of course, I have downloaded plenty of text to speech software, and my favorite one right now is the "Speak it" app for the ipad. 

DIY Development

Making games is too specialized. I don't think it should be so specialized, because there are plenty of people who can create amazing things, so long as the tools they use are straightforward and easy to grasp. A game engine that makes games amazingly easy, just like Google Sketchup makes modeling  easy. Or just like 3-sweep makes modeling much easier. The reason I am learning programming is to perhaps be able to make my idea of the perfect game engine (high hopes). What about a software that makes making software easier? I really loved that 3DFA software. It stopped development suddenly. This way people can make their own custom software without having to hire developers (I am sure some would not like this idea though.)

Think outside the box

So, Marvelous Designer was long overdue. I tried to find alternative software, and found a free one that was good enough, but VF Pro just fell of the map. Fashion has been around so long, so such a software taking advantage of 3D modeling was just a "duh" to me. I can think of other areas where 3D would serve very well. Google sketchup already has the Engineering industry on lock, or should I say "Trimble Sketchup."

I don't want to turn this into a diary though. haha. But there are so many areas to be explored, so I don't really see a limit on what can be made. 

#11 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

The trick: on your own bench he will rott, but atleast he will not be dangerous to your team any longer.

Wow. Why not play him though since you are paying all that money for him?

#12 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

For a lot of these startups getting bought by larger companies is their entire buisness model.

I am ashamed to say this, but that does sound like a good business model haha. I just want to retire. 

However, I think the direction this is headed is to some all powerful big time corporation holding all the chips in their hands and rationing them out as they see fit to the poor.

I guess this applies to governments also. Pitty.

#13 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1900

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Gimp (no way I'm paying a subscription to use adobe)

Any reason why you don't want to pay a subscription to use adobe's tools? They're awesome tools after all, and you can get Photoshop and Lightroom for less than the average North American spends on coffee in a month.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#14 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Niche

Programming almost has no limits to the type of software that can be created. Don't we program to make things easier? So think of all the things that annoy you when making a game, and think of a program that will solve it. 
Making games is too specialized. I don't think it should be so specialized, because there are plenty of people who can create amazing things, so long as the tools they use are straightforward and easy to grasp. A game engine that makes games amazingly easy . . .
3-sweep[/url] makes modeling much easier. The reason I am learning programming is to perhaps be able to make my idea of the perfect game engine (high hopes). What about a software that makes making software easier?

my dreams too + making a lot of smart's; Smart { OS, Dev. Environment, Game Engine, etc. (very dreamy goals) ;)
I saw that Maya wasn't an autodesk product until they bought it.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#15 Aardvajk   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6280

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

The reason I am learning programming is to perhaps be able to make my idea of the perfect game engine (high hopes).

As you (hopefully) develop the skills you'll need to realise this goal, you'll gradually realise why the perfect game engine doesn't exist. Maybe one day you'll write one that has some strengths over others, but if so you will pay for those strengths with weaknesses in other areas.

This stuff doesn't not exist just because nobody until you had the idea of making it you know.

Edited by Aardvajk, 05 March 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#16 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Luckless. Before, you bought the software one time fee. With the subscription thing, you end up paying way more over time. It's residual income for them, not just a way to prevent pirating.

And at any time, they can up the fee, just like that stunt Netflix tried to pull. It's like cable.

Unfortunately a lot of big companies want to do the subscription thing. So you end up (if you are like me) looking for decent alternatives. I say, here in America at least, we pay too much for convenience. Photoshop has that "must have feature." One press of a button and presto! I just don't want the world of open sourced software to be crushed by the "money men."

#17 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 32028

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Blender(hope they stay free and don't get bought out)
Sculptris(under Autodesk now)

Winamp(not being developed anymore)

Blender was the opposite of what you're complaining about. The company making it went bankrupt, so the community raised $100,000 to buy the source code from the company's creditors! The not-for-profit blender foundation was set up to facilitate that transaction, and to continue developing it as an open-source project.

Seeing it's GNU licensed, it would be near impossible for someone to somehow buy out the Blender Foundation and then turn it into a closed source product tongue.png

The guy who was making Sculptris joined Pixologic (not Autodesk) and took his project with him there.

The copy of Winamp on my PC is dated 2001! What more can you want out of it!? laugh.png

#18 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1697

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

I know blender does not fall under that, hoping they won't.

As for Winamp, stability issues in the latest version, at least on my pc.

I guess this "merger" business is part of my complaint too. The whole "if you can't beat em join em" thing.
You're right, it's pixilogic.

#19 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 527

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Last I heard WinAmp got bought - so there should be some development on it.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/14/aol-sells-winamp-and-shoutcast-for-5-10m-to-radionomy-takes-12-stake-in-belgian-digital-audio-company/

Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#20 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21211

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Aside from the many recent high-profile social media startups that got acquired (Instagram, Tumblr, and a few dozen others), I haven't noticed an increase.

The social media purchases have been overpriced, and I think we're in another dot-com bubble (or at least a social media bubble).

Large companies buying smaller companies? Has been going on for ages... look at the first decade of the 1900s and at Standard Oil and World Steel having bought up all their competitors.

One smaller software company that has built themself up to a decent size by aquiring great software is Corel. Basically an ant compared to Apple, Google, Microsoft, Oracle, Amazon, IBM, and co, they are still a very large ant.

Corel's entire business is built around, finding (or making) the best alternative of every good production application.

Paint Shop Pro (acquired from Jasc) competes with Photoshop,

Word Perfect (acquired from Novell) competes with Microsoft Word,

They also own WinZip (acquired), and Rovio (disc burning software), and have video editing tools, and etc...

Their original internal motto was to be "The Pepsi to Microsoft's Coke".

Adobe is kinda similar.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS