• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Switch or Not?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Well, i've been learning c++ for 4 months (at March 1st) and it's been good-ish.
So far, i've learnt: variables, loops, functions, arrays, vectors, enums, switch & if/else, pointers & references, dynamic mem. allocation, conditional operators and recently, classes.
I haven't learnt much on classes because i realised the '~' key exists periodically on the computer i'm using.
The plan was to learn c++ for 6 months (console part) then learn c++ for another 6 months with Qt (gui part) and the directx, maths, physics before making games. I didn't have a problem with this other than the fact that i don't like the console. I don't mind using it to learn c++ but if i had a choice, i would leave it for qt immediately.
Another idea today about a game but it was different because it's always about 3d games but this one was about a 2d game. An open world, third person game based on the best 2d cartoon/animation ever created that's available for Microsoft (xbox, pc, phone), Apple (i<whatever>, pc) and Google (android).
I've got everything worked out except the fact that 1) it's based on a cartoon (license needed) 2) Unity seems like the best option 3) Unity uses C# (i know about the boo and javascript).
It's the first game idea that didn't make me not like Apple, the idea of making a 2d game, being available on mobile and multiplayer support.
I was just wondering if i should start learning C# and pause the learning of C++ and then continue learning C++ later on (in order to accomplish my other dreams) or continue learning C++?
Sorry for how long it is.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Sponsor:

#2 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1698

4Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Why does Unity seem like the best option for your 2D game?

If you switch to C#, are you going to start from the console level again? Or jump a few steps straight to using a game engine?

My suggestion is keep with C++ and a use a simple 2D graphics library like SDL to start your game.

In particular I recommend using SDL 1.2 and following these great tutorials: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials

Read the corresponding tutorial as you need it for your own game. After all, he best way of learning is by doing.

Edited by Karsten_, 05 March 2014 - 04:27 PM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#3 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Why does Unity seem like the best option for your 2D game?
If you switch to C#, are you going to start from the console level again? Or jump a few steps straight to using a game engine?

My suggestion is keep with C++ and a use a simple 2D graphics library like SDL to start your game.

In particular I recommend using SDL 1.2 and following these great tutorials: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials
Read the corresponding tutorial as you need it for your own game. After all, he best way of learning is by doing.

SDL uses opengl (and other open <something>).
Unity 2d is a game engine and allows release for all platforms and from numerous posts seems easier

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#4 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

3Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

I haven't learnt much on classes because i realised the '~' key exists periodically on the computer i'm using.

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but personally i just do Alt + 126 for a '~'.

(Hold Alt then press 1, 2 and 6 :))

Edited by Vortez, 05 March 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#5 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but personally i just do Alt + 126 for a '~'.
(Hold Alt then press 1, 2 and 6 :))
What i meant is that if i'm writing a program, after a certain time, the symbols and their keys change and only then does ~ work.
I will try that.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#6 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 667

3Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Not sure why you need a tilde so bad. Only thing I can think of is declaring destructors. No excuse not to start learning how to use classes. But also if all your symbols are switching how are you able to program anything??

#7 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

But also if all your symbols are switching how are you able to program anything??

. . . by restarting vc++ everytime it happens.
It's just c++ is getting a bit boring and i really love this game idea.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#8 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 667

2Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Surely thats your answer then.

#9 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1698

4Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Well, C++ by proxy of C does support trigraphs.
I dont suggest using them but if you cannot seem to get the '~' character to work this might be a last ditch effort ;)

#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
  std::cout << "??-" << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
When compiled with the -trigraphs compiler flag, this will infact output "~".

One of the most important skills you can learn in game development is to stick to something. If you keep losing interest, this is not going to produce a good outcome.

Edited by Karsten_, 05 March 2014 - 05:34 PM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#10 exOfde   Members   -  Reputation: 815

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Unity 2d is a game engine and allows release for all platforms and from numerous posts seems easier

SDL does the same too

and to answer your question, in my opinion you should first finish learn c++. after that its only a small step to c# or other languages

Edited by exOfde, 05 March 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#11 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 970

4Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

If you're getting bored of C++ then it's probably because you're not creating anything that really motivates you. You've probably learned enough C++ to start making simple games, so I suggest picking up an API such as SDL. After becoming somewhat familiar with the basic operations of that API, start making simple games such as Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, or Snake. Sure, there will be gaps in your knowledge as you create these games, but you can learn as you create. There is no need to learn absolutely every aspect of a programming language or API before you start making games.

#12 Angus Hollands   Members   -  Reputation: 765

3Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

All programming languages become boring eventually, because the user confuses their own lack of direction with a fault in the language (not that I'm accusing you of that in these circumstances). Except Brainfuck. I can't see how you'd ever get bored, because you'll never understand what is going on :)

If you're trying to produce a game, using an existing framework / engine will help you get there quicker. But if you're truly passionate then it's inevitable you'll one day take a step back and implement the same things for yourself, so it's where you start.

#13 Nypyren   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5545

5Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Switching between languages is free. Learning other languages is an investment.

Feel free to try out C#. It's not like you have anything to lose.

#14 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

If you're getting bored of C++ then it's probably because you're not creating anything that really motivates you. You've probably learned enough C++ to start making simple games, so I suggest picking up an API such as SDL. Start making simple games such as Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, or Snake.

I've made Tic-Tac-Toe more than 3 times (with and without arrays). I prefer directx to open <something>.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#15 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9027

10Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Only 4 months, and you're 'bored'? Doesn't really bode well. What makes you think switching languages is the answer?

#16 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

What makes you think switching languages is the answer?

Me learning C++ is a product of switching from vb (after trying to fix a problem that had no solution for more than 2 weeks) and realising that i needed something else.
I won't say the knowledge didn't help me because it did.
I think i'm bored because i haven't learnt anything NEW, the most outstanding things i see left console-wise are classes and templates.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#17 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 970

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

I've made Tic-Tac-Toe more than 3 times (with and without arrays). I prefer directx to open .

In that case, it's time to move onto something bigger. Try something that takes place in real time, such as Snake or a shoot 'em up. After that, you might try making a simple platformer.

#18 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

I've made Tic-Tac-Toe more than 3 times (with and without arrays). I prefer directx to open .

In that case, it's time to move onto something bigger. Try something that takes place in real time, such as Snake or a shoot 'em up. After that, you might try making a simple platformer.
In the console?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#19 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 970

1Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

In the console?

No, you'll need to start working with graphics. Select an API and learn some of its basic functions (creating a window, getting user input, drawing graphics, etc.) then start making simple graphical games with that API.

#20 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

In the console?

No, you'll need to start working with graphics. Select an API and learn some of its basic functions (creating a window, getting user input, drawing graphics, etc.) then start making simple graphical games with that API.
That would be directx.
Cin >> isn't for input in a gui?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS