DirectX 12 Announced

Started by
78 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 10 years ago

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

Just wanted to share it with you guys.

Share your expectations!

EDIT :

Please DO NOT give me upvotes for that topic...

Advertisement

DirectX 12 @DirectX12 Follow

Rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated... #DirectX12 is coming to #GDC http://aka.ms/directx12

That's the tweet.

Anyway,anyone else excited to see what new features dx 12 will pack?

Qualcomm? Interesting. DX12 for Windows RT devices I guess...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developer's to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet. However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware."

(my highlights added for clarity)

Maybe it's taking ideas from AMD's Mantle (or developed alongside...) to give better direct access to the hardware more akin to consoles.

Edit: and possibly a Windows 9 exclusive?

Not massively, but I am curious. With current console hardware pegged to Dx11, Dx12 is likely to go the same way as Dx10 - largely ignored.

Requires an OS upgrade? I'll pass.

Amazing! :)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Zero surprise.

MS announced years ago that DirectX was no longer a secondary component and had been integrated to the Windows API. They started doing it with Vista back in 2006 (8 years ago). When people kept asking when the next release would be they more formally announced the policy change about 4 years ago because some people didn't seem to see they were tying it to the SDK releases.

With the SDK update scheduled for April, having a DX announcement in March feels like non-news. Maybe if they were announcing a back-port to all the old supported versions of Windows it would be news, but given their recent stance I seriously doubt it is anything more than an announcement that 12 is the new version number.

Maybe it's taking ideas from AMD's Mantle (or developed alongside...) to give better direct access to the hardware more akin to consoles.

Edit: and possibly a Windows 9 exclusive?

Yeah, that's my guess too. Looking at the history of DirectX from 9 to 11 that would be a likely direction for them. This applies for both performance and control and exclusivity

But if by some miracle they make the new DirectX available under Windows 7 and up, I will officially bury the hatchet, forget my recent animosity gained towards Microsoft and they will also acquire a huge buffer of good will, enough for one Microsoft employee to shit weekly on my doorstep for at least a year.

Not massively, but I am curious. With current console hardware pegged to Dx11, Dx12 is likely to go the same way as Dx10 - largely ignored.

At least the Xbox One (and presumably PS4), goes beyond D3D 11.1, perhaps even 11.2 -- how much further is the stuff of NDAs, but it could be entirely possible that DX12 doesn't introduce new required hardware features -- it could just be a more-efficient API for accessing the existing features, and with possibly some additional non-required features. They did away with CAPS bits, but there are still mechanisms for having optional features.

At any rate, OS support will end up being the driving/detracting factor anyhow, more-so than whether the console supports it.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement