• Create Account

Manage user avatar...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 greenpig83   Members   -  Reputation: 323

0Likes

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

Hi, I have a common problem like this!

In my game each user have an avatar. It's a small image about 128x128 size.  (I use D3DSprite  to draw the avatar on screen)

I have hundred of them for user to select, or they can upload their own. I think most system have this like forum...

There are alot of them that load them all at start of game is not nice! So I want to load them only when that avatar appear on screen. And keep about 100 avatar at a time! When a avatar is loaded it will have a loading image instead! The avatar will be free if it is not used ...

If we use each texture for an avatar, it's simple. I'm not tested yet, but i think display many texture at a time will slow down the performance (if we in a lobby screen or ranking screen, there will be ~ 20-50 players on screen). I prefer to load all the small image into 1 big one, that will speed up a lot! Because D3DSprite draw well with less texture!

But as we know, when we change a texture, we need to lock it, and i'm not sure we can still draw it while it's locking. Furthermore, I read at

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07e44457-75c2-432e-9a8c-d6e550003eba/background-texture-loading?forum=gametechnologiesdirectx101

they adviced not to use thread for loading texture. So that will be problem. I dont want the game to stop just to load all the user avatar. What will you do in this situation ?

THanks

Edited by greenpig83, 07 March 2014 - 01:18 AM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS