• Create Account

GameMaker:Studio development for mobile phones. beginner questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 dtrip   Members   -  Reputation: 106

1Likes

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hello,

read about me at the bottom of the message

There are some beginner questions I have, please help me with some insight here:

1. Is it considered professional to publish a game for device X, that has only been tested on X emulator and never on

the device itself ? I can not possess all possible phones out there to test.

2. I will be greatly using phone tilting in my games (eg drive a top down racing game by tilting the phone).

Is this feature supported in GameMaker:Studio ?

3. How are those apps monetized, ie how does one get paid for it ? Is PayPal an option ?

Thanks a lot in advance, please bear with those basic questions as I have Googled them but can not find clear answers.

About me:

I am 42 yo and experienced programmer, mostly with Java SE and web development (HTML, PHP/MySQL, Javascript).

I have developed 2D games with Java for PC over the last 10 years.

I have decided to use the Game Maker: Studio because it seems easily cross-platform and because I can not make 3D

games in the first place (I will be developing games myself).

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19820

1Likes

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

1. Is it considered professional to publish a game for device X, that has only been tested on X emulator and never on
the device itself ? I can not possess all possible phones out there to test.

I would consider it "risky" rather than "unethical". On the Android environment specifically there are many thousand specialized phones. On Apple's land a few thousand dollars will give you all the devices you need. Most developers do a spot check on a few popular devices and some older devices. If you test on very few devices, or even zero devices and only use the emulator, you are increasing your risk. Test on the devices you care most about, and call it good enough. When bugs come in you can decide how to best address them.

2. I will be greatly using phone tilting in my games (eg drive a top down racing game by tilting the phone).
Is this feature supported in GameMaker:Studio ?

Tilt support on devices is not uniform. The GMS forums have many discussions about the details.

3. How are those apps monetized, ie how does one get paid for it ? Is PayPal an option ?

Each app does their own thing. If you had some in-app purchasing system you might want to read up on your target platform's rules and regulations. There are ways to implement your own billing system for certain items that uses PayPal if your game is online, but you need to stay in line with everyone's policies. Generally a phone's IAP system needs to be integrated with specific systems.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 1597

1Likes

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

I use GMStudio.  I love it....for 2d though.

1.  Ethics don't really apply here, unless you are selling the game and it doens't work on someone's phone, and you not only don't want to refund, but don't have a free/test/shareware version either that they could try.  In my case, I have a few friends with a few devices, and I have a Sammy Note 2, my wife has a Sammy Note 1, so it gets a bit of testing.  I've never tried using an emulator for this, and I've seen people compain that GMStudio games are troublesome on emulators.  An exception to this apparently is the Tizen emulator, and for Tizen, unless you are a lucky one that they send a device too, you have not choice but to use the emulator.

2.  The tilt feature is fully supported, but as said above, it varies on different devices.  You might want to have a sort of sensitivity setting, and you probably want options to control things differently as well, just in case.

3.  There are many different ways to monetize games.  The ones that work best depend on the game.  For example, if you design your game right from the beginning for it, IAPs can work great.  It isn't something you would want to "bolt on" afterwards though.  The most popular method is probably the free with ads route, maybe with a single IAP for removing ads.  There is the traditional paid route(which can be the same as removing ads with IAP, or doing two separate aps, light/premium).  This one probably works best with games that have real content, things that actually have levels, bosses, story, as in not just a quick arcade game.  For example, I just released a really simple Asteroids clone(except you collect gold instead of just destroy stuff).  I've made it free with ads.  If it gets requested, I'll put in an IAP to remove ads, but I doubt it will get popular enough for that to be worth time better spent on creating another game.

#4 dtrip   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Very illuminating, you have been really a great help,

Yes, GMStudio for 2D games only. 

Thanks, take care!

PS: I plan to make my games free and hope to earn from advertisements = are those ads displayed in-game with some API ?

Edited by dtrip, 12 March 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#5 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 1597

0Likes

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Yes, GameMaker supports various ad APIs, all included.  You won't have to do any extensions or anything unless you want one that they don't have.  My game is using Google's Admob thing.

#6 CB-InDev   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

This is a great beginner topic.

I have a follow-up question.  Creating a "Free Trial" version of a game/app, will that be handled by GameMaker, or is that something unique for each store (ie: Google/Windows/Apple)?

Please check out my website for more information on my available apps: http://www.cb-indev.com/apps.html

PopQuiz!, free trial on Windows Store: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/popquiz/c3e50a2f-bafb-4067-9ad0-cbaaaaa99757

PopQuiz!, on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CBInDev.PopQuiz

Debouncer Demo on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CB_InDev.Debouncer_Demo

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS