First of all I would like to introduce myself, my name is Vytautas, I'm 2nd semester computer science student, currently living in Denmark.
I'm straight forward person so in that case I'll ask you one question: I want to dive into game programming and overall development, how do I do that ?
... and now more in detail:
1. Currently I'm playing around with 2D/3D engine basics in JAVA. As obvious it is - I need to start somewhere, somehow, but it's not that simple as it sounds, I want to make strong foundations for my knowledge pool how does everything works, In past few weeks I did a lot of research in this field and I have to say what I found really kicked me away from JAVA, so question: Does JAVA is that bad for game programing as everyone says it is ? For example - C++ vs JAVA it's like comparing Lamborghini vs Lada or it's more like Lamborghini vs Ferrari ? The main argument to defend JAVA is minecraft, a game that has no textures or physics ?
2. So I'm planing to make 2D game, I'll try my best to make something like Muramasa or Dust: the elysian tail , of course I'll fail and fail hard, but in the end I'll get what I want, now question is: Should I choose mainstream path and go with C++ or stick to familiar JAVA way ? It kinda depends on 1st answer though..
3. In my first question I separated game programming and game development, I really don't like all those reusable game engines, game makers and all stuff that make things their way for you, it's one of the most satisfying felling you can get to see your code growing from 1 line to 10'000 and finally after never ending debugging you make something from nothing, it's magic, but does this magic really effective ? Should I learn new things by re-inventing wheel ? Or maybe this already existing wheel is still square and there's wide room for improvements ?
My goals are:
- To make 2D game similar to Muramasa or Dust (To reach next, more advanced level of programming / designing).
- To learn as much as possible about all aspects of game programming and later on focus on more specific subject like AI for example.
- Release my own project ? I've been developing plot for possible game/movie since I was 14 +-, now I'm 20 and still almost every day run through some aspects of this particular story in my head, all I need is to start refining it piece after piece and write it down, but for now I'm more concern about learning "mechanical" skills.
Well here goes my next 10-15 years plan for my carrier, of course things may change, but I have chosen the path and I'll go there no matter what.
I have my own head and will do things that seem right to me, reason why I write this long post is to get some guidance from experienced people, I'm not looking for shortcuts, I don't need easy way, what I want is right direction.
Thank you in advance for constructive response.