• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Strange effect on untextured parts of the level

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 glportal   Members   -  Reputation: 447

0Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

I get this when I add meshes without a texture or like in this example move a wall to look outside of the level.

Ideas on why this might happen are greatly appreciated. If I left out important information, feel free to tell me

and I will tell you what you need to know. Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 Durakken   Members   -  Reputation: 532

1Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

Without looking at the code or knowing what your doing and what not my guess is that...

You draw the texture.

You move and don't have new data in that place of the screen to replace the previous data so it repeats it.

What you need to do is clear the data that's in the screen buffer or whatever it's called that tells the screen to show something, Or you need to add a blank texture so that the screen knows not to just keep that previous texture in that space, but that it is empty.

That's my guess... though i can't help you on the code to fix it as that area is the area i have problems with and is why I use unity.

#3 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

5Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

Look more like he's not clearing the color/depth buffer to me

#4 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9090

5Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

Look more like he's not clearing the color/depth buffer to me

+1 and this glitch is commonly known as the "hall of mirrors" effect. You often ran across it in older games made during times when clearing the screen was actually pretty expensive, so games made sure every pixel of the screen was indirectly repainted one way or the other (e.g. closed geometry). When there was a hole in the geometry or you noclip'd out of the world you would occasionally see this bug in action.

I'm sure it has also been used in creative ways in some other games cool.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#5 glportal   Members   -  Reputation: 447

1Likes

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

Thank you. This fixed the problem.

Bacterius:

Thanks for mentioning hall of mirrors.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS