• Create Account

C# FPS, where do I start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Devlyn   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hi All

This must be a real newbie question, but it may help others

Well I have good programming experience, I know C#, and I learn a little about OpenGL, and tried using OpenTK.  Now I would like to tackle developing my own FPS game.  But where do I start?

Tried searching for tutorials on this but it seems to be all for Unity (I would like to do this from bottom, up, so I can get a better understanding.  The idea is I would like to use the bear minimum software needed as possible)  I search the Game Dev forms, and leaned something about a Game loop. Sound like something similar to what I did in OpenGL.

I just want to get a handle on this thing, so I can get started and build, from there on.

My confusions are:

• Can one infinite loop, control the whole game? (Menu, Loading, game play, etc..)?
  • If one can break up a game into components, what are they? (like a blue print I can follow, when designing and developing a game)

Enjoy

Devlyn

Edited by Devlyn, 17 March 2014 - 01:40 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18827

4Likes

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

As this is For Beginners, I suggest you start much simpler.

You mention that you are experienced in programming. With that I will hope you have done the first few simple games, like guess the number, tic-tac-toe, connect four, reversi, and other turn-based games that explore the basics of AI.

Usually the first fully-animated game that people make is a pong clone.

It demonstrates not only the main game loop, but also so many other features common in games. You will have graphics, audio, AI, basic physics and collision response, performance requirements for a smooth display, and much more.

Pong clones can be quite complex.

After pong, breakout is common since it reuses much of the same technology but adds all kinds of features like maps, power-ups, visual effects, levels, and other features. After that people tend to branch out, often with a falling block Tetris variant or a simple platformer.

A first person shooter is too ambitious if you are asking those questions about the game loop. Start smaller.
Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1384

1Likes

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

The true definition of an infinite loop is one that never ends.  You don't want to write an infinite loop, you must break out of this at some point, say when the game ends or the player chooses to exit.

There is a article on this site about component architecture, and also several books that cover it in a chapter.  Such as Game Programming Gems 6 chapter 4.6 .

You really should start reading books on the subject of making games as all this will be explained within.  A good book about 2d ( which is a good place to start ) is SFML 2 game development, check my sig for the link.  If that's not what you want then search amazon for what you are looking for.

Edited by EddieV223, 17 March 2014 - 02:26 PM.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#4 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

1Likes

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

To echo frob, if you're just learning about the game dev mechanics (ex; game loop), then making a 2 maybe 3 2D games isn't a bad idea. Once you get familiar with it, you can move on to 3D games.

However, if I was you, I'd brush up on my linear algebra. 3D programming uses it heavily. If you find yourself about ask about linear algebra or other necessary maths for 3D game programming, then I would strongly suggest you finished some 2D games first.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#5 Godmil   Members   -  Reputation: 738

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

It's in a different language from what you use, but this article about State Machines may be very interesting.  It explains how to structure your object design so that you can easily swap between things like menus and game levels.

#6 Devlyn   Members   -  Reputation: 137

1Likes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

From what I see is that, just because you have programming experience, does not mean you can tackle a high-end 3D game.  You also need to build up game development experience, rolleyes.gif  if there is such a thing.  Maybe by starting out with games like tic-tac-toe.

Eddie, you right I am gonna start reading up more on it.

Alpha, your link to http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976 I believe is a good place to start.

Thanks all for helping me to find my handle on this game development biggrin.png

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS