• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Sky in Deferred Shading & Light Pre-Pass

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hello! I would like to add a sky to my deferred shading and light pre-pass renderers.  I already have a working skybox in my forward renderer. How would I do this? Is there some sort of post process sky technique I could try? Thanks! smile.png

Edited by KoldGames, 18 March 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 semler   Members   -  Reputation: 243

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

After combining the lighting buffer and the deferred buffers in our light pre-pass renderer into the target buffer, I just render the skydome into the same buffer afterwards. The same goes for transparent objects.

Cheers,

Henning

www.heroesandgenerals.com

#3 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hello! So I've been working on it and managed to get the skybox into the color buffer, but nothing is showing up in the final image.  The only way I could get the skybox to show up in the color buffer was by rendering the skybox before I everything.

b8n4.png

Here is a link to my deferred shading code:

NXRTDeferredShading.h

NXRTDeferredShading.cpp

Also, a link to my skybox code:

NXSkybox.h

NXSkybox.cpp

Also, your game looks pretty awesome.  I'm definitely going to try it out. Anyways, thanks for your time, I really appreciate it. :)

#4 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14032

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hello! So I've been working on it and managed to get the skybox into the color buffer, but nothing is showing up in the final image.

The sky does not go into the color buffer and that is not what he said to do.
Draw the color buffer without the sky, combine all the buffers, then add the sky afterwards.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#5 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

The sky does not go into the color buffer and that is not what he said to do.
Draw the color buffer without the sky, combine all the buffers, then add the sky afterwards.

Hey! Sorry, I seem to be lacking a little attention to detail today. Haha, anyways, I believe I've now done what he has said.

void NXRTDeferredShading::Finalize(const NXStopwatch& gameTime)
			{
				RenderTargets[4].Set();
				RenderTargets[4].Clear(0, 0, 0, 0);
				combineShader.SetVSConstants();
				combineShader.SetPSResources();
				combineShader.Apply();
				renderQuad.RenderWithCustomEffect();
				HandleOutside(gameTime);

NXGPU::SetToBackBuffer();
				NXGPU::DisableZBuffer();
			} 

After setting to render to my fourth target (putting final image in separate buffer for post process purposes; I'd like to the skybox to affected by motion blur as well), I render my quad with my combine shader, and I render outside objects (my skybox). As a result, I only see my skybox.  I've tried setting a blend state and rendering, and only saw the slightly transparent lit face of the cube but the skybox was still rendered correctly.  I've updated the dropbox.

Edited by KoldGames, 18 March 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31214

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

^^ You're erasing the contents of the render-target before you draw the sky into it?

Also, is the depth-buffer bound, which was used earlier to render the rest of the scene?

#7 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

^^ You're erasing the contents of the render-target before you draw the sky into it?

Also, is the depth-buffer bound, which was used earlier to render the rest of the scene?

Hey! RenderTargets[4] doesn't have anything in it when I clear it. It's just a target that I render my final combined image to so I can pass it as a texture. After that, RenderTargets[4] is just sent to my post process manager which uses it as an input texture for the first effect, chains the rest of the effects together and renders the processed output to the screen. And I believe the depth buffer is bound.

#8 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 31214

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:12 AM

Oh, I thought you were rendering the sky into the same buffer that you rendered the lit scene into.

BTW, it's a bad habit to clear a target and then draw into every pixel of it (e.g. the sky also clears every pixel with the sky colour, so it's a waste of time to clear beforehand).

The flow should be:

Draw scene    -> [GBuffer/Depth]
[GBuffer/Depth] -> Draw Lighting -> [Accumulator]
                   Draw sky      -> [Accumulator/Depth]
[Accumulator]   -> Post Process  -> [Final] 

#9 nfactorial   Members   -  Reputation: 731

0Likes

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

Make sure you render the sky with the depth buffer from your scene enabled. But it should be done as Hodgman describes.

n!

#10 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply! I will try this as soon as I get home. :)

#11 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hey guys! I got it working in Light Pre Pass (I didn't finish the renderer all the way but I finished it now).  Now I just have to get it working in Deferred Shading.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS