• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

sprites and slices

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Naruto-kun   Members   -  Reputation: 359

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hi guys

So I am working on a weather radar simulation here. A friend of mine helped me capture the cloud sprites from the graphics engine of the simulator and now I want to put them through my own DX11 engine to get the display output.

First of all, here is how they look:

FSX1_zpsac800710.jpg

FSX2_zps5a66c902.jpg

FSX5_zps7d2adc50.jpg

FSX3_zpsc370e62b.jpg

FSX4_zps6819ac58.jpg

What I want to do is something like...condense them into a single volume, with a color at the spot where there is the highest density of sprites that kinda spreads but weakens towards the edges.

Then I need to take a slice out of that volume that represents the radar beam and display it on a 2D map.

Playing on this level with HLSL is new to me...Any ideas?

Thanks

JB

Sponsor:

#2 BarrySkellern   Members   -  Reputation: 931

0Likes

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

Sounds similar to MPR rendering, multi-planar reformatting, which is used in medical imaging to render a slice through a volumetric image like a CT scan. You could google that for ideas.

Of course you'll need some way to create the volume from your data set. It's a bit hard to tell what you've got from the pictures. Are they a load of quads arranged in space? What to they define, cloud density?

Visit http://www.mugsgames.com

Stroids, a retro style mini-game for Windows PC. http://barryskellern.itch.io/stroids

Mugs Games on Twitter: @MugsGames and Facebook: www.facebook.com/mugsgames

Me on Twitter @BarrySkellern

#3 Naruto-kun   Members   -  Reputation: 359

0Likes

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

As I said, they are cloud sprites. A lot of quads with a cloud texture on them grouped together in random shapes and rotations to give the cloud appearance when in game:

YXhfa.jpg

So yeah for heavier clouds there will be more sprites.

#4 Naruto-kun   Members   -  Reputation: 359

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:55 AM

So...any ideas on how to merge them into a single volume?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS