• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

What are you interested in?

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Tutorial priorities (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you most interested in?

1. Let's Take A Look At Languages (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Building Codebases For Open Source Projects (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Basic 2D Games Sharing A Simple Engine (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Simple 2D Games Using The Simple Engine (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Simple 3D Games Sharing A Simple Engine (0 votes [0.00%])

6. A Simple Content Creation Tool With PCG support (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

7. Designing Features As Libraries (1 votes [12.50%])

8. Advanced Games Sharing An Advanced Engine (1 votes [12.50%])

9. Articles That Are More Specific Than That (1 votes [12.50%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DareDeveloper   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 974

1Likes

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hi all,

I want to make a bigger commitment to game development and I realized I need a gameplan to invest the little time I have wisely.

Writing articles might help with making sure that I do enough research and that I have to think about what I am doing.

Guess on the one hand writing articles for beginners seems right. I could show how I would approach the same tasks with different languages.

On the other hand a stronger focus might lead to more interesting articles. A poll might be great input for me to decide what other people think is worthwhile. Please write a reply if you want to elaborate ...

What are you interested in?

Here are some article idea details:

1.) Let's Take A Look At Languages

I would explain the task which would be writing a Google Code Jam - Tool

A TaskCreator would use procedural content generation to create small and large input files

There would be a totally over engineered TaskSolver framework and GUI.

Reason: I want to stress that solving a problem requires a different skillset than designing a bigger software project.

I would introduce the languages and implement something that the language allows:

Bash/CMD (Static HTML Pages), Python/Ruby/JavaScript (Web Application), C/C++/C#/Java (Desktop Application)

I guess I would not do all of those. If you are interested in one language in particular please mention it in a reply.

2.) Building Codebases For Open Source Projects

This is something that I need to look into before I tackle the bigger projects.

Whenever I try to set up a codebase with support for multiple IDEs, continuous integration and, in the case of C++, conditional compilation, I give up because that is so extremely tedious.

I need to struggle through that, though. If anybody wants to help, please reply here or contact me.

The plan is creating a starting point for a C++ Library and a project using it.

3.) Basic 2D Games Sharing A Simple Engine

I would show how to write a relatively simple 2D engine in Java for Android or C++ and use it for basic (classic) games like 2048, Snake, Pong, Tetris, Asteroids.

4.) Simple 2D Games Using The Simple Engine

I would show how to use the engine for slightly more complex games that use procedural content generation:

- An Infinite Sidescroller

- A management game: Baseline Watch ( see here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/646780-the-week-of-awesome-unofficial-gdnet-competition/?view=findpost&p=5087533 )

- 2D Zombie survival game with Worms style weapons (Midpoint Displacement Terrain with zombie-crowds that almost behave like liquids)

- 2D Arena Multiplayer Game - Quake Arena / Unreal Tournament in 2D (CTF, Domination, Deathmatch, KOTH)

5.) Simple 3D Games Sharing A Simple Engine

Probably I would move to C++ here. The game ideas for this tutorial would be:

- A DOTA/LoL and Bomberman mashup with procedural map generation

- A Racing Game with a Map Editor and procedural map generation

6.) A Simple Content Creation Tool With PCG support

Would show how to create a tool. It should be able to create different kinds of content and export to different file formats.

7.) Designing Features As Libraries

For more complex games I want to wirte a toolkit first and then an engine that brings the tools together. This article would deal with designing APIs and keeping principles like SoC, DRY, KISS, COC in mind.

- Debugging and Profiling tools

- RNA based memory and file IO Library (I think Blender style file management could be great as a library)

- Procedural Content Generation Library (At least there would be creator rulebooks for synth-helpers like Voronoi and Perlin creators and math helpers that offer things like Bezier support for the creators)

- ... probably many others ... EventHandling is going to be tricky in C++ and probably a library makes sense there.

8.) Advanced Games Sharing An Advanced Engine

- 2D RTS game

- 2D Proc - Zombie Survival with Syndicate game mechanics (ISO)
- 3D Old school FPS (Linear ... see TotalBiscuit rant: - Simon Says Simulators)

- 3D MMORPG RPG

- 3D Space trading and FPS mashup

Guess those will be the huge projects. I am considering going for web technologies (JavaScript, Web GL, Web CL etc.) for the advanced projects rather than for C++. Tell me what you would prefer.

Edited by DareDeveloper, 23 March 2014 - 03:49 AM.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

ProcGames.com

Sponsor:

#2 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 10579

1Likes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

4. - I like specifics and in-context. That's how I learn the most.

I think the source-code release of old DOS games have taught me much more than any book I've read, so it's always helpful :)

PARTNERS