• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Material Layering question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 lipsryme   Members   -  Reputation: 1030

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hey guys, I've got three quick questions on the implementation of material layering.

I know you can either do some offline compositing (as MJP suggested) or do it using a limited amount of layers during runtime (as UE4 seems to do it).

I'm currently looking into the latter case....

Question 1: The material layering in the shader works by linearly interpolating the material attributes & textures, correct ? So you'd just do something like: 

float3 DiffMap_0 = DiffuseMap_Layer0.Sample(DiffuseMapSampler, input.TexCoord).rgb;
float3 DiffMap_1 = DiffuseMap_Layer1.Sample(DiffuseMapSampler, input.TexCoord).rgb;
float3 DiffuseAlbedo = lerp(DiffMap_0, DiffMap_1, material_DiffBlendFactor.x);

Question 2: The problem you're facing now is that you'd need to (assuming a layer limit of 4) have 4 instances of every material property + 4 times the Textures you'd normally have, right ? I'm just wondering if that isn't memory bandwidth overkill...? I assume I'd have to make permutations of the shader that declares how many layers are used to decrease this for most materials that don't use the full 4 layers but still....worst case scenario would be 4 times the memory bandwidth of regular shading.

Question 3: Should the blending parameters extend to things like roughness,...? or should these parameters blend using a specular blend factor ? Or just a global blend mask/factor for the entire layer ? How much is overkill ?

Edited by lipsryme, 24 March 2014 - 07:18 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5574

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

You can combine several images (offline) into a single texture, if that's practical, and use texcoord offsets to sample.

If the number of layers is per-frame (or even if it isn't I suppose), you can probably setup a single shader routine with one of the arguments being a uniform argument that you set each render. Then compile an array of shaders, one per numLayers value.

Edited by Buckeye, 24 March 2014 - 07:44 AM.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#3 Krypt0n   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2600

1Likes

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Question 1: The material layering in the shader works by linearly interpolating the material attributes & textures, correct ? So you'd just do something like: 

float3 DiffMap_0 = DiffuseMap_Layer0.Sample(DiffuseMapSampler, input.TexCoord).rgb;
float3 DiffMap_1 = DiffuseMap_Layer1.Sample(DiffuseMapSampler, input.TexCoord).rgb;
float3 DiffuseAlbedo = lerp(DiffMap_0, DiffMap_1, material_DiffBlendFactor.x);

that's just one way to do it, linear is usually the least natural looking way of blending layers. but you can just as good go for a selection way of blending

float4 DiffMap_0 = DiffuseMap_Layer0.Sample(DiffuseMapSampler, input.TexCoord); 
float4 DiffMap_1 = DiffuseMap_Layer1.Sample(DiffuseMapSampler, input.TexCoord); 
DiffMap_0.a*=(1.f-material_DiffBlendFactor.x);  //edited, here just alpha should be multiplied, while aplha is e.g. a heightmap
DiffMap_1.a*=material_DiffBlendFactor.x;
float3 DiffuseAlbedo = DiffMap_0.a>DiffMap_1.a?DiffMap_0:DiffMap_1;

this will lead to a more natural looking mix (e.g. if you blend a sand and stone layer), yet it will have hard borders. you can go for more advanced ways of blending, some lerps inbetween selections etc.

2. the simple solution is to use a texture array and pass to the shader how many iteration it need to go over the array to accumulate/blend/select all layers you supply.

3. that's purely depends on your demands to visual quality. the proper way would probably be to make shading etc. on the individual layer and blend just the final results. blending source data will never be correct. it boils down to what will make your eye happy.

Edited by Krypt0n, 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS