how many projects at once?

Started by
9 comments, last by Acharis 9 years, 10 months ago

[I am speaking here more about home projects not business but home

projects also have some kind of managment so i think it fits in this

category]

How many projects at once you conduct? How many project at once you think is good to working on (one or more), What do you think about related

questions [By conducting i mean projects you started and which are in open state, not neccessary must be touched in every weak or even

month, hope you know what I mean]

Advertisement
You're talking solo projects? Just one person?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You're talking solo projects? Just one person?

ye, solo home projects, Im curious how people see this things

it they working and focusing on one project or maybe had more (how many?)

(I seem to prefer had more than one)

I often have multiple "projects" (not necessarily game projects) going on at one time. But when I have a big project, I tend to prioritize that one over all else, until it's done or has reached a delivery stage.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

if i count I got something near 10 opened projects [answering my own question]

like 3 are tools 6/7 games, Some became opened and stay opened , some became abandoned (for example my raytracing project probably is becoming abandoned now..), as to this about 7 game projects only one is 3d,

Some dillema is if i would or should open yet more projects or better close (abandon) some and focus on them .. (on remaining)

Hi,

This depends on talent, skills, time available, and speed of completion. Generally beginners should only work on their first project until done and polished well. At the opposite extreme, high achievement professionals often handle 2 or 3 major projects plus a few small occasional ones.

For you, your results and progress will let you know how much you can currently handle! smile.png

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I have a limit of four, with a maximum of two major projects.

I have over 100 opened project, of which no more than 10 are updated on a monthly basis.

Only 2 or 3 projects get to have weekly updates.

I define priorities by best Return on Investment (ROI). Basically, I have a rough idea of everything I could do from a "value" standpoint, and I check what the level of effort involved looks like. I try to pick the best value for lowest effort, and this tends to determine which projects are most likely to be my top priorities for the week.

LOL, I thought I would be highly controversial by saying that maybe sometimes more projects than one could work, but it seems I was beaten by a magnitude of volume :)

I salute you for being able to finish any game, for me like 2 at once is an absolute max (and it's more like one being developed full time and one designed/developed in slow mode, definitely not two ongoing major projects).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

two ongoing major projects

Define "major".

I think key here is scoping these projects. MVP MVP MVP :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement