• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

2d game engines/sdks

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 starbasecitadel   Members   -  Reputation: 699

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm pretty familiar with the Game Engines out there for 2d games, for mobile.  (Personally I love Corona for that).

But, for the Desktop PC side for 2d action games with multiplayer capability, I'm out of the loop on what indie devs are using these days.  This is just prospective, kind of curious, not a pressing need but wanted to look into it and maybe start learning one in my off-cycles.

It should be Steam and SteamOS compatible (is that Linux?), 2d graphics (3d not needed) as well as multi-player ( UDP sockets).  I program in many languages but prefer a high-level language like Lua or Javascript, not C++.     Export to Windows desktop, Mac desktop, and SteamOS.  Ideally it has a very rapid dev/testing cycle where your code changes can be tested within seconds, not a 2 minute compile.

Unity3d (in 2d-mode) and Love2d look the best so far.   Love2d looks like a much smaller learning curve, but it has 1/100th the user-base which is a big disadvantage.  Anything else?

Edited by starbasecitadel, 26 March 2014 - 09:49 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 emcconnell   Members   -  Reputation: 925

2Likes

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I use cocos2dx which is a mobile engine but also supports desktop. I find it easy to have one game be on iOS, Android, Win32, OSX and Linux all at once. Just abstract all the platform specific code out and use ifdef's when needed.

#3 starbasecitadel   Members   -  Reputation: 699

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I use cocos2dx which is a mobile engine but also supports desktop. I find it easy to have one game be on iOS, Android, Win32, OSX and Linux all at once. Just abstract all the platform specific code out and use ifdef's when needed.

That does look really good, thanks!

#4 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 1757

2Likes

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Believe or not, GameMaker Studio does really well.  For 2d game creation, the only thing that really beats it(except for very special situations) would be coding your own, but then you lose out on the portability.  For 3d(which you say you don't need) Unity would likely be king, but Unity's 2d just doesn't yet get close to GameMaker Studio.  It also exports to mobile platforms, but the desktop exports are great too.  You also have most access that you would need to lower level parts, enough to do almost anything you want, but nothing that gets in your way.  For example, if you want to use custom shaders for rendering, even for 2d, even if it is the whole screen at once, you can do it.  But if that doesn't interest you, there is no need at all to mess with shaders.

#5 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1522

2Likes

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm gonna advertise the technology our company is using right now to make social games. It is called Starling. Utilizes high-level programming language - ActionScript 3. Free. Works on Mobile and Desktop with minimum efforts per platform (basically 99% of the code is the same for every platform). GPU-accelerated.

Edited by GuardianX, 26 March 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#6 starbasecitadel   Members   -  Reputation: 699

0Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Believe or not, GameMaker Studio does really well.  For 2d game creation, the only thing that really beats it(except for very special situations) would be coding your own, but then you lose out on the portability.  For 3d(which you say you don't need) Unity would likely be king, but Unity's 2d just doesn't yet get close to GameMaker Studio.  It also exports to mobile platforms, but the desktop exports are great too.  You also have most access that you would need to lower level parts, enough to do almost anything you want, but nothing that gets in your way.  For example, if you want to use custom shaders for rendering, even for 2d, even if it is the whole screen at once, you can do it.  But if that doesn't interest you, there is no need at all to mess with shaders.

This looks great, I'm leaning on going this route.   A friend recommended it 3 years or so ago but at the time, it didn't support nearly as many platforms or have any real multiplayer (UDP sockets) support.  Now it looks much more polished.  The only downside is the IDE is Windows only, ideally the IDEA could work on Mac OS X too but that is ok (my laptop is Mac, home desktop is Windows).    But it looks like a great platform.. probably I'll go this route.

I'm gonna advertise the technology our company is using right now to make social games. It is called Starling. Utilizes high-level programming language - ActionScript 3. Free. Works on Mobile and Desktop with minimum efforts per platform (basically 99% of the code is the same for every platform). GPU-accelerated.

This one looks really good too, but I didn't see any networking (UDP Sockets) support in a quick look through the API.  

Thanks!

#7 GuardianX   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1522

1Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

This one looks really good too, but I didn't see any networking (UDP Sockets) support in a quick look through the API.  

Thanks!

Since Starling is just a library for Air/Flex SDK, it has access to everything those platforms from Adobe can offer. Including http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/net/DatagramSocket.html and much much more.

Edited by GuardianX, 27 March 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#8 starbasecitadel   Members   -  Reputation: 699

0Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

Thanks!

Since Starling is just a library for Air/Flex SDK, it has access to everything those platforms from Adobe can offer. Including http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/net/DatagramSocket.html and much much more.

Thanks!  

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS