• Create Account

How to set texture as shader resource?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlurEffect   Members   -  Reputation: 159

0Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Hey guys,

In my application I want to set a texture as shader resource, so the pixel shader can sample it using the passed in uv coordinates. Generally, I know how to do it and I have it working in another place of my application. However, for one special case it just doesn't seem to work and I can't get rid of a compilation error.

I have a class Font with this function:

ID3D11ShaderResourceView* GetTexture();

And another class trying to access that function in order to get the texture and set it as a resource for the pixel shader:

pDeviceContext -> PSSetShaderResources(0, 1, m_font.GetTexture() );

(m_font is an object of the class Font, that has that GetTexture() function)

The compiler gives me this error:

argument of type "ID3D11ShaderResourceView *" is incompatible with parameter of type "ID3D11ShaderResourceView *const *"

I think I tried all combinations of constness for the return type of the GetTexture() function and nothing changed. Also, I'm building this pretty much based on a tutorial that has pretty much the same code, so I think it should be working. Especially as it is working somewhere else in my application (although I'm not getting the texture over a get-function there but pass in the address of a member texture).

So, please help me to solve this. Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7413

4Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

PSSetShaderResources takes a pointer to a pointer as it's parameter, whereas your GetTexture is just returning a pointer.  That's what the compiler error is telling you - this is actually nothing to do with constness, and the presence of a "const" in the error message is throwing you off; remove or ignore the "const" (for the purposes of troubleshooting this) and you'll see that it's just a straight-up old-fashioned type mismatch between "ID3D11ShaderResourceView *" and "ID3D11ShaderResourceView **" (note the second '*').

Your solution is:

pDeviceContext->PSSetShaderResources (0, 1, &m_font.GetTexture ()); // note the '&'

Edited by mhagain, 27 March 2014 - 02:01 AM.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10205

2Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

To elaborate a bit more, the reason it expects a pointer to a pointer is so that it can take an array of shader resource views. So that you can do something like this:

ID3D11ShaderResourceView* srvs[3] = { texture0, texture1, texture2 };
immContext->PSSetShaderResources(0, 3, srvs);

#4 BlurEffect   Members   -  Reputation: 159

0Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Thanks guys for replying, but I tried that before, I mean using

pDeviceContext -> PSSetShaderResources(0, 1, &m_font.GetTexture() );

In that case the compiler will simply tell me: '&' requires l-value

Doing the following doesn't change anything about it:

pDeviceContext -> PSSetShaderResources(0, 1, &(m_font.GetTexture()) );

When I do something like this, however, it works:

ID3D11ShaderResourceView* pTex = m_font.GetTexture();
pDeviceContext -> PSSetShaderResources(0, 1, &pTex );

What's going on? What's the problem with the getter? Any ideas?

Edited by BlurEffect, 27 March 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#5 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 12208

0Likes

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

That is exactly to be expected.

What do you think “&m_font.GetTexture()” is telling the compiler?

Maybe you hope it returns an address to the temporary where the result of m_font.GetTexture() might be stored, but who said it would ever be stored as a temporary?

Functions return results in the EAX register on x86 machines (as a specific example), so does &m_font.GetTexture() mean “address of a register”?

Does it mean “address of the GetTexture() method itself”?

In your 3rd case you are explicitly creating a temporary and then passing the address of that temporary.  This is what you thought the first 2 cases would do, but the compiler is not required to make a temporary at all and it won’t allow you to rely on such behavior.

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS