Name for a higher level of territorial organization

Started by
4 comments, last by Acharis 9 years, 11 months ago

I make a turn based strategy (steampunk theme). The player manges a country. The map is made of provinces (around 20-30). The provinces will be grouped into "regions" (around 7) to make it more managable.

So there is a lower level of territorial organization ("province") and higher level ("region").

Now I need names for these (I think province sounds fine, but region not really).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Like state or prefecture? Actually I think you might want to replace province with county or duchy, those are smaller.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Administrative Divisions

Like state or prefecture? Actually I think you might want to replace province with county or duchy, those are smaller.

Yes, along the lines of state/prefecture.

Duchy sounds a bit too medieval, I need it for steampunk.

Note: optionally I can go for province being the higher tier and make some lower tier territorial division (below province).

Nice list :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Did you decide on anything yet?

For a steam-punk feel you probably want something Victorian-era-ish, perhaps with province at the higher level and "county" or "borough" at the lower level...

- Jason Astle-Adams

Did you decide on anything yet?

For a steam-punk feel you probably want something Victorian-era-ish, perhaps with province at the higher level and "county" or "borough" at the lower level...

The topic is still valid :)

But isn't "borough" a division (part of) of a city? But it sounds Victorian for sure...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement