• Create Account

How to time bomb a beta?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
80 replies to this topic

#61 thade   Members   -  Reputation: 1652

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

So if you were the programmer of Ocarina of Time you would have fixed all these bugs before the game shipped?

absolutely! assuming i could find them.

That assumption, right there, is really not a safe one. No offense, but even the best designed code with zero warnings vs. -Wall is still going to run into unforeseen logic errors...and the more complex the code, the larger the code base, the higher those odds. I doubt that your code is all so trivial as an empty main function. smile.png

(But, if you really do have a full proof way...you're in the wrong line of work. Software Hardening and Static/Dynamic Taint Analysis are both very vibrant fields of research; they could use you. Not to mention how every single other software package in the wild right now experiences bugs for the first several years of their life time in consumer hands.)

Edited by thade, 10 April 2014 - 02:21 PM.

I was previously serratemplar; a name I forfeited to share a name with an angry rank-bearing monkey.

http://thadeshammer.wordpress.com/

Sponsor:

#62 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8160

1Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

So if you were the programmer of Ocarina of Time you would have fixed all these bugs before the game shipped?

absolutely! assuming i could find them.

In a perfect world, sure -- but in reality that's not the way it works. Games ship with unknown and known bugs all the time. Like you, the engineers who take pride in their work don't like it, but can't press back on the publisher when they come in and say "Hey guys, you can't let the schedule slip over 20 known bugs that only 1 in 10000 people will be adversely affected by." I've got no love for slave-driving publishers, and I think that often its their own policies and practices that end up putting themselves and their studios in a hard place, but you really can't miss that holiday launch window if you were relying on it -- people will lose their jobs if you do, usually starting with the people at the bottom.

In your situation, perhaps you aren't relying on that window and you don't have anyone but yourself to answer to or worry about affecting, but as soon as you have a publisher to please, a marketing budget, or an employee who's not a partner in the company, the game changes. 

#63 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Implement a random obfuscation virtualization environment.

already done.

there is one in the game exe that does both game related and DRM related tasks,. it uses code generated on the fly, self modifying code, and encrypted code. all programs are written in its proprietary machine language. you write one line of assembly as a comment, followed by usually three lines of machine code to implement the one line of assembly.

there is a second separate stand alone vm that decrypts and runs the game exe, as well as running its own proprietary vm programs in general. it has its own proprietary architecture, instruction set, .programming language, compiler, p-code language, and vm runtime. programs to encrypt a game exe and decrypt and run a game exe are just two example programs written for the stand alone VM. the VM was made BEFORE the game, just for copy protection purposes. no sense making a game for profit if you can't protect it. this vm is much more sophisticated. i've actually written direct3d fullscreen test apps with it that run at 62.5 fps.

i look forward to the day when PC's are fast enough to just write a vm, then write the game in the vm's language - eliminating the dreaded release build delay from the development iteration loop.  until then, i use a macro processor to generate c++ code from a high level, low keystroke scripting language. saves on typing, like a custom vm language can, but doesn't help with release build times.

however, as pointed out by ApochPiQ, VMs are not impervious to attacks:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/654995-checksum-crc-md5-hash-check-game-code-in-ram/

The VM concept may seem like a solid approach, but you have a critical flaw in your architecture.

An observant reverse engineer will notice within seconds of viewing your program's import table that you use a select few "interesting" API functions. Encrypted code is not a surprise to anyone in the reversing field; even "innocuous" things like packers have been around for ages, and most reversers know how to get past them.

If I were, hypothetically, to take a look at your program, this is how my thought process as an experienced reverse engineer would look:
Hmm, weird set of APIs. Also if I break the game execution at random times I end up in this weird call stack.
Let's see what this code does... oh, it's a VM.
Hey look! It's running encrypted code!
Let's find all the places that decrypt input code and hook them...
... aaaand shunt over to a dummy VM implementation in an injected DLL (or monkey-patched binary if I feel brave)
Lookit that, I can dump all the raw VM bytecode now
It's a trivial VM, so figuring out what each bytecode package does is just another reversing exercise
Wow, some of these look like they are game-critical...
But these ones don't! I found your DRM!
Surely there is some recognizable pattern to what opcodes or general code pattern is followed by DRM code versus game logic...
Little analysis later, some shunting back of the VM decrypt process, and poof...
And now I have a crack for your game.

A good reverser could pull this off in a long day of work; a mediocre one could do it in a week.

Unless you expect that buying yourself 24 hours of "safety" will be the difference between commercial success and commercial failure, you're wasting your time.

software seems to need two types of protection:

1. copy protection to prevent illegal distribution having a negative effect on legit sales.

2. anti-crack protection for the copy protection.

also, any game that has artificial built in limits that can be cracked (such as only play for free to level 20) needs anti-crack protection.

i've gotten exe checksum with no checksum in the exe and ram checksums working for anti-crack, and expiration date not based on system clock for DRM working.

i've been able to hide string constants, and pepper the code with tons of system calls to drastically increase the number of references to suspicious systems calls such as GetSystemTime. 

one big thing i've done relates to the following quote:

"they can't hack what ain't there!"

so to the greatest extent possible i've used #ifdef DEMO and dead code elimination to completely remove full version code from the demo. in some cases i've had to write custom code for the demo, such as a generate_demo_map() routine.

but getting back to the ET phone home....

so the server sends some VM p-code to the client. the client runs it. the client doesn't store it on disk. the server must send vm code every time the game wants to run.

the packets could be intercepted and the p-code gotten at that way. a dummy client could be written that gets the p-code and saves it to disk. a ram spy tool could get the p-code from ram. and the cracker has the client exe , so they have the vm code. once they reverse engineer the VM, and get the p-code somehow, its just matter of time. needless to say, all of this is a bit easier said than done. but still do-able.  

all these types of attacks would need anti-crack protection.

doing a google on your three suggestions turned up a bunch of useful stuff for a search on "random obfuscation virtualization environment".

i'll be posting all the links i found in my gamedev info journal here as soon as i get a chance to sift through it all, and at least provide a couple words for each link about what the info is about.

so it a two front war:

1. don't copy me illegally - copy protection.

2. don't crack the code that provides copy protection - anti-crack protection.  

note that sometimes its not illegal copying, its time limits, cheating in multiplayer online games, etc. that you want to make tamper resistant.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

#64 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8160

1Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

Runtime functions - Use VirtualProtect (or similar for your OS) and implement it. Is a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot.

so you DL some code to the client, and use:

BOOL WINAPI VirtualProtect() to set PAGE_EXECUTE ?

but they could still get a memory dump, couldn't they? then make their own code?

That really sums up the point we were getting at earlier: There is no perfect solution that can be isolated on the users machine -- you need a a trusted machine, or in a distributed system a quorum of neutral third parties, to have any semblance of security. A dedicated attacker will always be able to go one step further on their own turf. And lets not forget that their job is far, far easier than yours in this arena -- you must unfailingly block every attack -- they just have to wait for you to fail to do so one time. In the example above, lets say that you could prevent them from dumping memory -- sounds good, but a truly dedicated attacker could cool the physical memory, pull it from the system, and then probe it to read out your code. This is a known attack vector in high-end reverse-engineering efforts. Is it likely that a cracker will go to this extent to make your $20 cult hit free to the masses? Not likely, but it illustrates just the same that no matter how far you can go, it just isn't far enough to be perfect.

This is the reality you have to accept if you can't enforce security in a connected fashion. You can make a cracker work harder, but you can never make it impossible for them to win in the end. Many small teams have had success by marketing their lack of DRM as a feature, others have found creative ways to cajole pirates into paying up, others have found new monetization models that aren't deflated by piracy. No one has found a fool-proof way to stop pirates dead in their tracks.

On a further note -- if all this concern, at least early on, is about people being able to pirate and distribute your Beta -- what would be so bad about requiring your beta participants to connect to a server to validate? You wouldn't need to carry that policy forward for paying customers. Requiring an internet connection might possibly skew your beta feedback, but that's probably an acceptable tradeoff unless your target market is the rural farming set.

#65 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

That assumption, right there, is really not a safe one. No offense, but even the best designed code with zero warnings vs. -Wall is still going to run into unforeseen logic errors...and the more complex the code, the larger the code base, the higher those odds. I doubt that your code is all so trivial as an empty main function.

i totally agree. thats why i said "assuming i could find them".  odds are in that title, they had a base engine, then kept adding more custom stuff to it. eventually almost every item becomes a special case with its own behavior and code. such "evolution" of the code is ok, but can lead to glitches down the road as things become bigger and more complex. its better to try to figure out a framework or system for the different things first, so undesirable interactions are easier to predict. 

(But, if you really do have a full proof way...

unfortunately no. rigorous attention to detail and testing has allowed be to release games in the past with very few errors, and never with a major one. then again, apparently i'm the "judge /  perfectionist" personality type when i'm on the clock (and the "happy hedonist" personality type when off the clock! <g>). typos in string constants are another thing though, there's no spell cheker in my IDE! <g>.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#66 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

In your situation, perhaps you aren't relying on that window and you don't have anyone but yourself to answer to or worry about affecting, but as soon as you have a publisher to please, a marketing budget, or an employee who's not a partner in the company, the game changes. 

yes, i guess i'm blessed in the fact that i'm the developer, publisher, and financial backer. so all three are of like mind and one goal.

as a fan of the game, i know what needs to be done - hopefully - can't think of everything. this is where other playtesters help.

as the dev, hopefully i know how to do it, or can figure it out.

as a pub, i have the good sense to listen to the devs and not push half finished crap out the door. my job is marketing and sale fulfillment, not design, development, or project management. as a pub, i never forget i'm really nothing but a glorified car salesman - i don't build them, i just try to get you to buy them. 

and as backer i have the wisdom to sit back and let my people do their thing, after all that's why i bet on them in the first place.

i've never really timed my releases around the holidays etc. i release when its ready. but i have found that releases made in summer and after the holidays do quit well. probably because they are released when there's little in the was of new AAA titles to compete for attention. summer releases get the user's dollars before the xmas AAA onslaught, and after xmas releases get the after xmas sales when users buy what they didn't get for xmas, or after they've finished the games they got for xmas.

. i did release caveman v1.x during september/october 2000. so it was hitting the radar about xmas time. NBC evening news in Washington DC picked it up as a last minute xmas gift idea. got so many hits, it crashed by website. took a week to get back up again, as i was going through a local mom and pop webhosting reseller who was closed for xmas.

Caveman will be released when ready, perhaps a couple months from now. but there's still so much to do, i may have to release a version 3.0 and immediately begin on version 3.1 to get it all in there - stuff like the "bring on the dinos!" option. <g>.

cavemen with javelins and knives vs wolley mammoths is already a sight to see, i can only imagine what it would be like vs t-rex! actually i don't have to. t-rex is one of the animals implemented in the game already but not used. but i can trigger a t-rex encounter from the playtest menu.   cool! i'm going to have to try that!  and post screen shots! <g>.  a little preview of the "bring on the dinos!" option.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#67 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

On a further note -- if all this concern, at least early on, is about people being able to pirate and distribute your Beta

actually, i got all that drm and anti crack stuff working, then tuned it off in the demo and beta! <g>.

you can email me right now and get a link to the beta demo with nothing more than watermarks, an unprotected expiration date, and an unprotected 30 gameday limit.

even cracking all that, they'd only get a game with a 100x100 mile world, with no load or save, and many other high end features missing. only the watermarks, nag screens,  30 gameday limit, and beta expiration date are crack-able. nothing else can be cracked - "cause it ain't there!".  thank god for  #fidef DEMO, and especially dead code elimination and link time code generation (that's the one that only links code actually called, right?).

i've even considered releasing the game in a "Caveman III, version 0.x" format for free. this approach is popular with indie games under development. they give away what they have while under development, eventually evolving their code base into a stable release version 1.0, which they then sell.  sort of a long term open beta.  

but caveman may be too close to release for this.

as it stands now, the complete version makes for quite a game that would take a LONG time to play.

unlike most rpgs, you can have more than one player character (band member) under your control - like household members in the sims. you can tab between band members at any time. you can have up to 10 band members in your band. you can recruit new band members at any time you have less than 10 band members. and the game doesn't end until the last band member dies. so the original band member, the character you created when you started a new game, might die, but the game continues with the remaining band members, who can then recruit a new band member to replace the dead founding band member. so the game could theoretically go on forever - despite the fact that back ground radiation modeling (IE old age) will eventually kill off individual members of the band from time to time. band members may die, but the band lives on.

so its a pretty big game already, despite the fact that i have yet to finish the quest generator, raiding and inter-band rivalry, mating and offspring, modern animal types, aquatic animal types, "bring on the dinos!" etc. 

fn v demo_intro_screen
i y dy
= y 100
= dy 25
c Zbeginscene
c Zclearscreen 0 0 0
c Zbeginsprite
c tx2 400  y "This is a playable demo version of Caveman 3.0."

c tx2 400 y+dy*2  "Limitations of this demo:"
c tx2 400 y+dy*3  "1. A 100x100 mile game world."
c tx2 400 y+dy*4  "2. The same hard coded game world every time you play."
c tx2 400 y+dy*5  "3. Only 4 types of animals."
c tx2 400 y+dy*6  "4. Encounter types chosen totally at random."
c tx2 400 y+dy*7  "5. No quest generator or quests."
c tx2 400 y+dy*8  "6. No tools, editors, or testing cheats like teleport, kill all "
c tx2 400 y+dy*9  "   hostiles, recharge all stats, or view unexplored map."
c tx2 400 y+dy*10 "7. No load game, save game, or autosave."
c tx2 400 y+dy*11 "8. You can only play for 30 game days."
c tx2 400 y+dy*12 "9. No hiring warriors to fight for you."
c tx2 400 y+dy*13 "10. No friendly NPCs as traveling companions."
c tx2 400 y+dy*14 "11. No getting your travelling companions to join your band."
c tx2 400 y+dy*15 "12. No God artifacts. - Hey, whats an rpg without artifacts, right?"
c tx2 400 y+dy*16 "13. No high quality objects. - the Caveman equivalent of magic items"
c tx2 400 y+dy*17 "14. No Caverns: dungeon adventuring - caveman style!"
c tx2 400 y+dy*18 "For more information on the full version, visit:"
c tx2 400 y+dy*19 "https://sites.google.com/site/rocklandsoftware/"

c tx2 400 y+dy*21 "Click to continue..."
c Zendsprite
c showscene
nb 
p
nb

c Zbeginscene
c Zclearscreen 0 0 0
c Zbeginsprite
c tx2 400  y "This is a playable demo version of Caveman 3.0."

c tx2 400 y+dy*2  "Features only available in the full version:"
c tx2 400 y+dy*3  "1. A 2500x2500 mile game world."
c tx2 400 y+dy*4  "2. A randomly generated true world with islands, mountain chains,"
c tx2 400 y+dy*5  "   forested areas, deserts, jungles, tropical savannas, etc. All"
c tx2 400 y+dy*6  "   terrain types are included."
c tx2 400 y+dy*7  "3. A completely new randomly generated world every time you start"
c tx2 400 y+dy*8  "   a new game."
c tx2 400 y+dy*9  "4. Over 50 types of actual extinct Mega-fauna to hunt or be hunted by!"
c tx2 400 y+dy*10 "5. Encounter types based on terrain type and animal frequency."
c tx2 400 y+dy*11 "6. Quest generator and quests."
c tx2 400 y+dy*12 "7. Tools, editors, and testing cheats like teleport, kill all "
c tx2 400 y+dy*13 "   hostiles, recharge all stats, and view unexplored map."
c tx2 400 y+dy*14 "8. Load games, save games, and autosave."
c tx2 400 y+dy*15 "9. No time limit. The game ends when your last bandmember dies."
c tx2 400 y+dy*16 "10. Hire warriors to fight for you."
c tx2 400 y+dy*17 "11. Friendly NPCs as traveling companions."
c tx2 400 y+dy*18 "12. Get your travelling companions to join your band."
c tx2 400 y+dy*19 "13. God artifacts. - Hey, whats an rpg without artifacts, right?"
c tx2 400 y+dy*20 "14. High quality objects. - the Caveman equivalent of magic items."
c tx2 400 y+dy*21 "15. Caverns: dungeon adventuring - caveman style!"
c tx2 400 y+dy*22 "16. No demo nag screens, 'feature unavailable in demo' messages,"
c tx2 400 y+dy*23 "    or demo watermarks."
c tx2 400 y+dy*24 "For more information on the full version, visit:"
c tx2 400 y+dy*25 "https://sites.google.com/site/rocklandsoftware/"

c tx2 400 y+dy*27 "Click to continue..."
c Zendsprite
c showscene
nb 
p
nb

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#68 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

lets say that you could prevent them from dumping memory -- sounds good, but a truly dedicated attacker could cool the physical memory, pull it from the system, and then probe it to read out your code. This is a known attack vector in high-end reverse-engineering efforts. Is it likely that a cracker will go to this extent to make your $20 cult hit free to the masses? Not likely, but it illustrates just the same that no matter how far you can go, it just isn't far enough to be perfect.

drm anti-crack protection is not a battle to be won. the objective of stopping cracking entirely is almost impossible - with trusted machine (and user) perhaps the only way - like the special PCs we had at wright pat air force base for classified data.  

instead, drm is a delaying tactic. the objective is to make it more hassle than its worth. 

and as you say its unlikely a cracker will go to extraordinary lengths to crack my $20 cult hit. i'm sort of counting on it in fact. the old version that got cracked has zero anti-crack protection, and was a textbook case of the simplest code to crack - find string constant, then modify nearby jmp instruction, done!

so the plan is to only put drm and anti-crack in the full version. no need to give them an advance look at the code in a demo or beta. they'll have to buy or get the game from a legit user to crack the full version.

and the full version will  strive to make the ratio of "glory to be gained by the cracking" vs "hassle involved in the cracking" so unfavorable that no one goes to the effort.

if i were a big AAA game, the glory would be much greater. sometimes its nice to be the little guy.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#69 Mouser9169   Members   -  Reputation: 401

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

the game world contains 60,000 caves, which can be unoccupied, or occupied by animals or cavemen.

it contains 5000 rockshelters - which are similar to caves, but only found along cliffs.

it contains 18,000 huts, which are occupied by cavemen.

it contains 20,000 caverns, which are the equivalent of a dungeon level, or a doom level, or a cave level in skyrim. caverns are generated when you enter them the first time, and saved when you leave. when you return, they are reloaded. caverns repopulate over time.

a new world is generated each time you start a new game - so its random, not hard coded content like skyrim. the entire world is saved when you save a game, so its persistent. and you can build and demolish structures, etc, so its modifiable.

TBH, this sounds to me like a game world around a hundred times bigger than it needs to be.  How many players are going to go through 20,000 caverns without starting a new game? If that's the measure of the size of game, then Torchlight (and FATE) are even bigger since they have 'infinite' dungeon levels (or close enough anyway). Saying your game is 'as big as Skyrim' is a poor comparison, since a game like Skyrim is measured in terms of content, not how far you can run before you hit the edge of the world.

I hope you're right and your game isn't cracked - but I also hope that your game is fun to play (some games aren't cracked because no one wants to play them...).

Btw, it also sound like a game where the performance is going to keep dropping the longer you play. In the beginning nothing is generated, so the system resources needed are scant. After a few thousand caverns have been formed though, will the game still be able to run as fast and smooth? Something for your beta testers to look into - maybe include a 'generate caverns' cheat, so they can test the game with more and more caverns and caves and shelters being stored.

Edited by Mouser9169, 11 April 2014 - 08:33 AM.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

#70 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Saying your game is 'as big as Skyrim' is a poor comparison, since a game like Skyrim is measured in terms of content, not how far you can run before you hit the edge of the world.

then its not as big as skyrim, athough measured in content it might well be as well. dunno, don't really care. i pretty much used up skyrim in about 2 months of heavy play. i didn't even get close to using up caveman v1.x in 3 years of long term playtesting. but then again its designed that way, to be a continuous paleo-world simulation that will run forever.

frankly, i'm not interested in whether to do it, or who does it and who doesn't, or how many copies they sold without it. i'm interested in technical info on howto. THAT is the topic at hand. other posts strike me as being off topic, though some may see "whether to or not" as a more fundamental question to be answered first. if you have a suggestion for a drm free way of selling the title in question that will work pretty much for sure, given a title with a proven track record, please share.

you seem to know a lot about torchlight, is there a cracked version ?  (make that freely downloadable - it doesn't have drm). they might make a good case study of how to do it drm free. $15 price point, diablo clone, steam and direct web sales, correct?  did they do a pre v1.0 release or large public beta to build a fan base first?

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#71 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

but I also hope that your game is fun to play (some games aren't cracked because no one wants to play them...).

well this game has made the network evening news before (NBC, Washington DC, last minute xmas gift ideas, Dec 2000), and has been cracked before. 

as for fun, you're welcome to see for yourself. shoot me an email at rocklandsoftware at gmail dot com, and i'll send you the links to download the beta of the demo.

the full game is only a 52 meg DL.  the demo is the same, with a demo exe file.

Edited by Norman Barrows, 11 April 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#72 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Btw, it also sound like a game where the performance is going to keep dropping the longer you play. In the beginning nothing is generated, so the system resources needed are scant. After a few thousand caverns have been formed though, will the game still be able to run as fast and smooth? Something for your beta testers to look into - maybe include a 'generate caverns' cheat, so they can test the game with more and more caverns and caves and shelters being stored.

not a problem. all caverns are single levels for the moment, and loaded when you enter, and saved when you leave, just like a level based shooter engine. load and save times are split second short. so caverns of unlimited size are easy, just add connections between levels, and generate deeper levels as needed. the only limitation is hard drive space. all systems in the game are designed that way. they aren't linked lists of objects that degrade the bigger they get. in fact, no linked lists or objects at all. just fast non-OO procedural C++, PODs (plain old data types), and ADT code organization with global access in the api's exclusively for get and set methods.  speed and performance over style. heap is only used to allocate a 2 meg buffer to check a savegame's checksum (corrupt file check), and only for about 5 lines of code with no branching before its freed. pretty much all data structures are static and appear in the data segment. static is not an issue since the required sizes are know at compile time.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#73 Mouser9169   Members   -  Reputation: 401

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

you seem to know a lot about torchlight, is there a cracked version ? (make that freely downloadable - it doesn't have drm). they might make a good case study of how to do it drm free. $15 price point, diablo clone, steam and direct web sales, correct? did they do a pre v1.0 release or large public beta to build a fan base first?

There's not a 'cracked' version because retail (physical copy available through their website as well as being out on store shelves - nice box, raised lettering, etc...) was DRM free from the start. There may be a 'no-steam' .exe floating around, if one hasn't been officially released.

Runic Games had the 'Blizzard' advantage when it came to fan base. You had star developers from the original Diablo/Diablo II team (Blizzard North) joining up with the creator of FATE, and the team from Mythos. For people into the action-adventure, dungeon crawling, let's go kill things then go shopping genre this was an absolute dream team. So there was a lot of 'hype' and publicity about the game just from that factor alone. By the time the game came out, most of it's target audience was ready for it. I'm not sure how they handled the beta for Torchlight - I do know they listened to the feedback and worked from it, in a few documented cases having fixes for bugs reported in the forums up within hours, so there was a 'connection' between the team and the community (as opposed to companies who run test servers, collect feedback, then cheerfully ignore all of it and ship 'as is').

It came out at $20 Steam and Retail, and held that price point for quite a while before dropping, then held at $15 for another long bit. I don't know whether it's because twenty dollars is the largest bill most Americans keep in their wallet, or some other reason, but that seems to be the magic 'dividing line' between the 'casual' games and the longer (and presumably better) ones. A casual might start at $20 through some small portals, and maybe an initial run in Walmart (HER Interactive does this with the Nancy Drew series), but the price drops to $6.99 pretty quickly (within a few months) or else the game becomes part of a 'bundle' pack. On the other extreme you have Skyrim, which stayed at $60 even with the complete Elder Scrolls Anthology, which included Skyrim and all its expansions/DLC along with Oblivion and Morrowind with all their expansions/DLC plus Arena and Daggerfall for only ten dollars more on the same shelf.

Torchlight was moddable, with the editor released soon after the game (my retail copy had it in already I think... maybe I downloaded it). This was also the time where there was a lot of backlash against Ubisoft and the 'always on' DRM schemes where you got booted from your single player game if your internet connection went down for a few minutes, so I'm sure some people bought it to make a statement.

Ultimately, I think it was successful DRM free because it targeted a game playing demographic where people buy games. Between Steam and being on store shelves, it was easier to buy it legitimately than it would have been to go searching for a torrent and downloading it that way (with all the risks that go along with that). Yes, the Steam version had Steam DRM - but there was always the retail option available, so it really was a choice for consumers.

The best case study for DRM free games is Good Old Games. When they started, they just had 'older' titles reworked to run on modern OS's. As time went on and the model proved profitable, more and more games started moving there. While the bulk of their catalog is still 'old school' games, they do have a growing number of fresh releases as well.

I'll shoot you an email. I can't commit to being a full on tester, but I'd love to see what you've got, and I'll give you what feedback I can.

Caveman sounds interesting if nothing else - a change from the same scripted formulas that get churned out over and over and over...

#74 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

There's not a 'cracked' version because retail (physical copy available through their website as well as being out on store shelves - nice box, raised lettering, etc...) was DRM free from the start. There may be a 'no-steam' .exe floating around, if one hasn't been officially released.

if its popular and drm free (or even if its not drm free) odds are there's a free version somewhere. have you looked? want to bet a dollar on it? <g> (just kidding)

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#75 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Runic Games had the 'Blizzard' advantage when it came to fan base.

well that explains the popularity.

you don't want to SELL games to users, you want them to SUBCRIBE to your game as life long fans. not subscription as a sales model technically, but in essence.

in this case, they simply made the next game in the series that all those fans subscribe to. so it was under a different studio name with a different lineup in the dev team. who cares? its still diablo! and with a BETTER team building it! any diablo fan would definitely be buying that sucker when it came out. and there are a LOT of diablo fans.

Edited by Norman Barrows, 12 April 2014 - 11:00 AM.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#76 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

I don't know whether it's because twenty dollars is the largest bill most Americans keep in their wallet, or some other reason, but that seems to be the magic 'dividing line' between the 'casual' games and the longer (and presumably better) ones.

the following might be factors:

diablo games are 3rd person isometric graphics, not 1pv 3pv 6 DOF (flightsim or shooter with roll) correct? 

diablo games are more action oriented than some other more hard core fantasy rpg titles, correct?

the magic $60 price point in america seems to be reserved for state of the art hard core releases. something like tomb raider or assasins creed being as close as one might get to lighter/casual action in such titles.  and you have to admit both of those games have evolved over their various releases into rather hard core state of the art examples of their particular types of games.

at the other end of the scale, $15 is another magic price point - or you might say its a nice one that lies between two other magic price points: $10, and $20.

$10 is special, because it denotes lack of or limited value. any game that's $10 or less can't be that big, no matter how cool, or it would cost more. or it may just not provide more than $10 worth of gaming entertainment value to the user.

Note that at this low price point, one must start putting qualifications on what type of game we're talking about here. $10 is quite reasonable for an arcade, puzzle, or card game.  but lets stick with "bigger" games only.

$20 is special, because at this point, its no longer an impulse purchase. $20 bucks will buy you a pizza and a six pack! <g>. (well, depending on the beer you drink...).

so at $20, the user starts thinking in terms of value, and also opportunity costs: "what else better could i do with my money that would make me even happier?". after all, as Desmond Morris said in The Human Animal, "After survival is ensured, it's all about enhanced play.".  so they start thinking twice about how to use those 20 hard earned survival points (dollars).

this concept can be translated to any market worldwide. over the years, Rockland has sold internationally from hong kong to berlin, the LONG way around the planet. Thats why Rockland runs on Hawaii time. which is a real B---- for me, as i live on the east coast.

but in any market (people are the same everywhere) such price points will exist:

* too cheap - cant be that good a value, even if its a cool game. its either not that good, or not that big - or both (too many of those out there - makes me wonder why they even bothered writing it. perhaps as a learning exercise?)

* kind of pricey - got to think about that one. 

* looks cool, not too expensive for what you seem to get.

* expensive state of the art stuff - NBA2K. but i gotta have it! i'm a SUBCRIBER! <g>

they may vary depending on the availability of titles for that market, local market conditions (local economies), and what other things compete for entertainment dollars in that market. and these three things can vary widely between markets.

if your not in the us market, think of your own local market in these terms and see if you can't guesstimate what the numbers would be for your market. just put yourself in the average target user's shoes. 

and note that the us market is not the world market. historically, the us had been somewhat heavier on action titles, whereas europe for example is known to produce many high quality simulations, some of which Americans never even get to see. And Asia has yet a 3rd flavor of game style and culture it adds to the mix.  in the end its a big wide world out there, and there's lots of potential target users from all markets for all gametypes. 

so then it comes down to good old capitalistic competition, build a better mousetrap, survival of the fittest. and this contest for the users dollars is played out simultaneously for each game type. so if your making a diablo game, your competing for diablo user dollars. and if your making a caveman sim, your competing for caveman sim user dollars.

fortunately for me, after 14 years, Caveman is still the only caveman simulator on the market. in fact a game like it in any setting  is difficult to think of. then again, i have yet to finish DLing sims3 from origin.  this is a basic comptative strategy of Rockland, to try to dominate in niche markets where you're the best, or preferably, the ONLY player.  needless to say, being the only player in a viable market is not easy. and not always maintainable.

Rockland built the worlds first Star Trek flight simulator. the  gametype eventually became so popular, Paramount got into it.  To be the only player, basically you have to be unique - and cool - or there'd be no market. this requires innovative game design. IE you cant just make Y.A.S. (yet another shooter), as there's already one (or a million) out there. the game has to be unique. if they want to play something like that, you're the only game in town (no pun intended <g>).

dungeon keeper might be an example of a unique game like this. the concept is cool , D&D and you play the monsters! and there was nothing like it out there at the time, despite that playing the other side had probably occurred to D&D players for 20 years by then.

Edited by Norman Barrows, 12 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#77 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Ultimately, I think it was successful DRM free because it targeted a game playing demographic where people buy games.

odds are it was the next game in an established series with a big fan base of subscribers waiting for the next game of that type worthy of the tile "the sucessor to <insert game here>".

in this particular case,  

insert game here = diablo (must be nice!),

devleopment studio = dream diablo dev team.

so is no doubt that:

if game != real_mccoy() dontbuy();

if i were a diablo fan and the next one came out for just $15 or $20 bucks, i wouldn't even consider not buying the real version from the real McCoy. 

Fun fact:  McCoy was a rum-runner during prohibition. The "real McCoy" mean the real true unaltered product, not "bathtub gin".

typos drive me crazy! brain runs at light speed, but fingers are sub-lite only  : (

Edited by Norman Barrows, 12 April 2014 - 11:27 AM.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#78 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

The best case study for DRM free games is Good Old Games. When they started, they just had 'older' titles reworked to run on modern OS's. As time went on and the model proved profitable, more and more games started moving there. While the bulk of their catalog is still 'old school' games, they do have a growing number of fresh releases as well.

do they have a drm free only policy?

a think a lot of their recent growth is the lack of online gaming outlets other than steam. Back in the day, Rockland would be contacted by small startup studios from time to time looking for a publisher. the old chicken and egg: need a hit to get a pub, and most devs dont want to become a pub to get that first hit. i think there's an unfulfilled need there that steam does not adequately address, thus the recent popularity of good old games, and other such sites as places to sell through. one of the difficulties is vetting. any online "pub" has a natural interest in vetting applicants to produce a good product lineup, thereby enhancing site value. but this throws up barriers to entry for developers.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

#79 Mouser9169   Members   -  Reputation: 401

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

do they have a drm free only policy?

a think a lot of their recent growth is the lack of online gaming outlets other than steam. Back in the day, Rockland would be contacted by small startup studios from time to time looking for a publisher. the old chicken and egg: need a hit to get a pub, and most devs dont want to become a pub to get that first hit. i think there's an unfulfilled need there that steam does not adequately address, thus the recent popularity of good old games, and other such sites as places to sell through. one of the difficulties is vetting. any online "pub" has a natural interest in vetting applicants to produce a good product lineup, thereby enhancing site value. but this throws up barriers to entry for developers.

Yes, all games bought from GoG are completely DRM free.

The business model can be summed up thus: Make a quality product, put it for sale at a reasonable price, and people will buy it.

That's the business model that worked in the music industry for iTunes: even though you can always download music from somewhere, people are willing to pay the iTunes price and get it 'legally'. Torchlight is just one of a growing number of games taking that approach. Consumers seem to dig it.

As for Steam and the chicken and the egg: that's what Greenlight is trying to address. Get enough users to like your game and the Valve team will take a look at it (no guarantees). Much better than the old system of the small team personally keeping their eye out for good games and testing them.

#80 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2322

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Yes, all games bought from GoG are completely DRM free.

i thought i remembered something like that when i took a look at them recently.

The business model can be summed up thus: Make a quality product, put it for sale at a reasonable price, and people will buy it.

a sound model. Rockland tries to follow that model.

That's the business model that worked in the music industry for iTunes: even though you can always download music from somewhere, people are willing to pay the iTunes price and get it 'legally'.

seems to me iTunes big thing is convenience. find what you're looking for, cheap and easy. in the consumer's eye, cheap is almost as good as free, and probably a better value, as we all know there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Torchlight is just one of a growing number of games taking that approach. Consumers seem to dig it.

Gee, i wonder why?  got to remember i'm a hardcore gamer first, and a gamedev second. 

As for Steam and the chicken and the egg: that's what Greenlight is trying to address. Get enough users to like your game and the Valve team will take a look at it (no guarantees). Much better than the old system of the small team personally keeping their eye out for good games and testing them.

funny, i was thinking of steam's greenlight program as a barrier, although less of one perhaps then a site with a reviewing team too small to handle the load:

http://indiegames.com/2014/04/310_days_in_steam_greenlight_p.html

ran across that while looking for indie game sites, since i'm an indie, and moving from the development to marketing phase of the Caveman project.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS