• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

AI Character behaving according to real human acting

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Medo3337   Members   -  Reputation: 683

0Likes

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hi guys,

How can I make AI character act exactly like a human actor?

Is there is a way to record the real human acting such as face expression and body movement and get AI character to act exactly the same?

Sponsor:

#2 Mouser9169   Members   -  Reputation: 401

1Likes

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

SOE/LA recorded live dancers for the dances for the Entertainer class in Star Wars Galaxies, so it can be done.

SOEmote does something similar to what you're asking, I think.

Can you do it easily, without spending a fortune on recording equipment? How good are you with Poser, I suppose.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

#3 Stainless   Members   -  Reputation: 1395

0Likes

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

You can buy fairly cheap 3D cameras, the USB type. The hardware I used isn't available anymore. The company was bought by Microsoft and the technology incorporated into kinect.

These return a 2d array of distances, so you can use it to record facial expressions. 

Turning these frames into something you can render quickly is a different issue, you would have to do some serious coding.

Another approach would be to get a standard head mesh, there are some free ones on the net somewhere. You can get mouth shapes from them and use some kind of text to speech system to animate the mouth then mix in emotions based on observation of the actors.

Have a look at this to give you an idea of what I mean

http://stainlessbeer.weebly.com/facial-animation.html

#4 Medo3337   Members   -  Reputation: 683

0Likes

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

I think some sort of this technique was used in some movies such as Avatar, do you know what techniques they used?

#5 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 40012

2Likes

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

If you want a dynamic mesh, 4d photogrammetry / videogrammetry

Otherwise, you create a facial rig using a huge number of bones and blend-shapes, and then use an algorithm that can look at the dynamic mesh produced from above and automagically choose the best weights for your bones/blends that will recreate the same mesh pose.

Edited by Hodgman, 30 March 2014 - 08:10 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS