• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Starting out with JavaScript

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 AaronPreston   Members   -  Reputation: 113

0Likes

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hello everyone, I work with JavaScript daily. I'm pretty new to it, but at the same time I have a good grasp on how the language works. I know that JavaScript isn't a good language to build games with, C++ is a lot better. I want to learn C++, but I have no clue where to start. I am looking for some hands-on C++, if anyone knows where I can find maybe a program or something to start with. That's how I learned JavaScript.

I'd really appreciate help in the right direction.

Sponsor:

#2 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4119

3Likes

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

I know that JavaScript isn't a good language to build games with, C++ is a lot better.

You are being misled.

I am a C++ developer and create practically everything with C++, but I can guarantee you that JavaScript is a great language to build games!

You could take a look at this website:

http://www.codeavengers.com/javascript/17

and maybe move to Unity with JavaScript (actually, UnityScript, but really, really, similar.)

Edited by dejaime, 31 March 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#3 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5949

3Likes

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

You are being misled.
I am a C++ developer and create practically everything with C++, but I can guarantee you that JavaScript is a great language to build games!

+1.  Ten years ago, sure, Javascript wasn't a language to use, but that is not the case now.  C/C++ is used by a lot of AAA games because it is very low level and allows them to squeeze out every ounce of processing power they can get.

You don't need that.  

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

#4 Rifts605   Members   -  Reputation: 240

1Likes

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

I started out with Javascript (and Python), and after about a month or so I decided to move on as well, as I felt C++ would be more applicable to me if I decided to become a game designer or software programmer. I started out with online tutorials at learncpp.com, cplusplus.com, tutorialspoint.com, and cprogramming.com. They are all very beginner friendly, and contain little code snippets to help you get started. I found learncpp.com to be the best for explaining things well, especially in beginner terms, and cplusplus.com is probably the best if you just need a referential point that sounds official. 

Beyond this, I would recommend downloading Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 or CodeBlocks, if you haven't already. 

If Walt Disney can figure out how to make people pay to stand in line all day, I can surely master programming...

#5 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2207

0Likes

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

I don't think you are going to regret just going with game-development for eg. html5. Sure it's not 100% there yet, but it's going to be big. There are a plethora of games out there already, big and small. Your only problems should be quirks here and there - differences between browsers/kits, but we are all used to that. It's more or less equal to the differences between platforms and implementations. You can pretty much create whatever you want.

I wish I could paste some links showing you whats out there, but I have forgotten. I don't create games for web, but sometimes I wish I did. :)

I did find something here with a quick Google:

http://www.html5gamedevelopment.com/html5-engines

#6 spazzarama   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 925

0Likes

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:32 AM

and maybe move to Unity with JavaScript (actually, UnityScript, but really, really, similar.)

And this probably gets compiled down to MSIL which would be faster than a pure interpreter.

Justin Stenning | Blog | Book - Direct3D Rendering Cookbook (using C# and SharpDX)

Projects: Direct3D Hook, EasyHook, Shared Memory (IPC), Afterglow, C#raft

@spazzarama

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS