• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Oh no, not this topic again: LH vs. RH.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 DwarvesH   Members   -  Reputation: 471

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:38 AM

So I'm porting my game over from XNA (RH) to SharpDX (LH or RH, LH traditionally)  and have finally arrived to the last phase: the terrain. Once this is done porting finally be behind me!

And here is where LH or RH really causes major changes. For terrain I needed to do a ton of adjustment, even having to transpose the terrain only for physics.

In the past I did not mind switching from RH to LH. I had to use different matrices and swap the Z in position and normals at mesh load and things where pretty much done.

But recently I noticed that logically LH does not not make that much sense. Everything from applying a 2D grid on top of the 3D world to mapping mathematical matrices to world positions to drawing mini maps is a lot more intuitive using RH. Especially mapping of matrices. In programming you often have an (x, y) matrix that is represented as y rows of x columns. This maps intuitively to right handed. You need to put element (0, 0) at you coordinate system's origin and map Y to Z (assuming your world is not centered; even if it is, just subtract an offset).

LH on the other hand is more difficult to map. Especially since you often need to transform things from one space into another in your head.

Are there any good reasons to use LH other than DirectX has traditionally used it and it may make integrating things from DirectX easier?

I'm really torn between the two. But if I switch back to RH it must be done now.

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8134

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

Switch to RH now.  Ultimately it's just a matrix multiply, so the final vertex transform is identical in both: SomeLeftHandedMatrix * Position or SomeRightHandedMatrix * Position.  It's far more important that you're consistent in your own code.

A write-up of the historical reasons for D3D choosing LH is here: http://www.alexstjohn.com/WP/2013/07/22/the-evolution-of-direct3d/ - summary: it was purely an arbitrary decision and based on a purely personal preference rather than for any technical or other reasons.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 Mona2000   Members   -  Reputation: 617

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

There's nothing in modern (programmable) DirectX/OpenGL that incentivizes you to use one over the other, apart from the libraries you're using (D3DX, XNAMath and DirectXMath all provide LH and RH functions, while GLM unfortunately only provides RH ones).

Also, slightly unrelated but always interesting: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/a/88776

#4 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5590

-4Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

the final vertex transform is identical in both: SomeLeftHandedMatrix * Position or SomeRightHandedMatrix * Position.

Actually, that's not correct. As commonly implemented, it would be Position * SomeLeftHandedMatrix and SomeRightHandedMatrix * Position.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#5 Mona2000   Members   -  Reputation: 617

3Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Doesnt't that depend on row-major vs column-major and not LH vs RH?

#6 DwarvesH   Members   -  Reputation: 471

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

There's nothing in modern (programmable) DirectX/OpenGL that incentivizes you to use one over the other, apart from the libraries you're using (D3DX, XNAMath and DirectXMath all provide LH and RH functions, while GLM unfortunately only provides RH ones).

Also, slightly unrelated but always interesting: http://programmers.stackexchange.com/a/88776

Yes, as I said, the changes were simple. But now with the physics engine, adapting to LH is incredibly hard.

Mapping data structures to 3D space will eventually boil down to familiarity.

RH seems much more intuitive and familiar. The one thing I might have problems is having to do some conversion when adding depth based thing or whatever from DirectX world.

the final vertex transform is identical in both: SomeLeftHandedMatrix * Position or SomeRightHandedMatrix * Position.

Actually, that's not correct. As commonly implemented, it would be Position * SomeLeftHandedMatrix and SomeRightHandedMatrix * Position.

I've never done that.

I always have world = (bone) * (matrix_from_model_to_physics) * w

and then the v * p matrix.

I never needed to swap any orders when going from LH to RH.

Edited by DwarvesH, 03 April 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#7 Burnt_Fyr   Members   -  Reputation: 1245

1Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

Yes, as I said, the changes were simple. But now with the physics engine, adapting to LH is incredibly hard.

Mapping data structures to 3D space will eventually boil down to familiarity.

RH seems much more intuitive and familiar. The one thing I might have problems is having to do some conversion when adding depth based thing or whatever from DirectX world.

I've never done that.

I always have world = (bone) * (matrix_from_model_to_physics) * w

and then the v * p matrix.

I never needed to swap any orders when going from LH to RH.

I think the key part of what Buckeye said is " as commonly implemented". but no, you should not need to swap matrix multiplication order for handedness, only for majorness, as Mona2000 mentioned. The only real place that handedness matters is in the projection transform, or how our mapping of the 3D vector space is converted to 2D.

Edited by Burnt_Fyr, 03 April 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#8 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8424

1Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

I think the key part of what Buckeye said is " as commonly implemented". but no, you should not need to swap matrix multiplication order for handedness, only for majorness, as Mona2000 mentioned. The only real place that handedness matters is in the projection transform, or how our mapping of the 3D vector space is converted to 2D.

Not even majorness matters. What determines whether the vector goes on the left or the right hand side of the matrix depends on whether you use row or column vectors and nothing else. A column vector cannot go anywhere but on the right hand side, and a row vector cannot go anywhere but on the left hand side of a multiplication with a matrix, and majorness or handedness are irrelevant.

Edited by Brother Bob, 03 April 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#9 Mona2000   Members   -  Reputation: 617

-2Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, but HLSL, GLSL and most (all?) math libs used by games don't have the concept of row or column vectors.

#10 DwarvesH   Members   -  Reputation: 471

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

The only real place that handedness matters is in the projection transform, or how our mapping of the 3D vector space is converted to 2D.

Sure, that is one key place that matters. But it is so easy and trivial to fix that it does not matter at all. You either have it right or wrong, and fixing it takes literally seconds.

Here are some things that change from LH to RH that do matter:

1. Mesh loading.

2. Mesh generations. I generate both some meshes and relative mesh placement procedurally. This code does not multiply everything by a forward vector so all Z placement is wrong after a change.

3. Mesh processing. I have custom code meant to fix the horrible and broken tangent export feature in most 3D modeling programs that results in seams. Maybe needs fixing, maybe doesn't.

4. The entire process of mapping my pretty big maps (64 square kilometers and growing) to the 3D world. Questions like "if I am at this character coordinate what is the logical coordinate, what cells does it map into, what neighbors is ahead of me and which one is behind, how best to circle cone map the area, etc." The simplest case is answering the question where does cell (0, 0) go. And does the next one go? This all change very slightly and subtly. At the very least you want to update your mapping that you present to the human being and that must be in a familiar map coordinate system, or risk questions like "why is 0 at the bottom".

5. Character controller. That code is 300 KiB and changing from LH to RH changes my move direction and mouse camera movement. I know where to look so I can fix it now relatively fast, but the first time I went from RH to LH that was very annoying to fix.

6. Terrain physics. This one I just can't get right in LH. Third party physics engine.

7. And many more.

So I would say that going from LH to RH is 2-4 weeks of work, that's why I weight the decision carefully.

#11 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5590

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Not even majorness matters. What determines whether the vector goes on the left or the right hand side of the matrix depends on whether you use row or column vectors and nothing else. A column vector cannot go anywhere but on the right hand side, and a row vector cannot go anywhere but on the left hand side of a multiplication with a matrix, and majorness or handedness are irrelevant.

You are correct, technically. As the OP was apparently going from column-vector to column-vector I saw no good in going into detail about handedness, column/row vector,  column/row major, etc. Just wanted to indicate that a general statement that the order of multiplication using "SomeLeftHandedMatrix" is immaterial needs some thought, particularly if someone wanted to generalize it to the order of matrix multiplications - e.g., scale-rotate-translate vs translate-rotate-scale. Sort of off-topic.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

#12 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8134

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

So I would say that going from LH to RH is 2-4 weeks of work, that's why I weight the decision carefully.

It's 2-4 weeks now versus a potential lifetime of pain later.  I'd do it now.

if someone wanted to generalize it to the order of matrix multiplications - e.g., scale-rotate-translate vs translate-rotate-scale. Sort of off-topic.

That's not handedness either.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#13 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5590

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

@mhagain: You don't think there's any chance someone will mistake "handedness" with the use of row/column vector matrices? Hmm.

#14 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30885

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Doesnt't that depend on row-major vs column-major and not LH vs RH?

No, neither. It only depends on whether you choose to use row-vectors or column-vectors.

Yeah, but HLSL, GLSL and most (all?) math libs used by games don't have the concept of row or column vectors.

Many math libraries just assume/force one convention or the other - e.g. an engine will choose row-vectors and build a whole math library around that convention.

HLSL/GLSL *do* support/implement both concepts though - they specify that a vector appearing on the left of a matrix is a row-vector and one appearing on the right is a column-vector (i.e. A vec4 is both a mat4x1 and a mat1x4, depending on usage). When a vector isn't being multiplied with a matrix, it's either/none/both.
HLSL/GLSL also support/implement both majornesses, but as above, that's just a RAM storage concern and has zero effect on the maths.

However, if you choose to use the column-vector convention, then it's usually more efficient to store your matrix data in column-major order (and vice-versa for row-vectors or row-major matrix storage)... So there is often a correlation between a chosen matrix storage scheme and the order of operations in your matrix concatenations, but it's not the cause.

It's possible to use any mixture of row/column-vectors, row/column-major matrix storage and RH/LH coordinate systems, and the only thing that determines the order that your matrices should be multiplied in, is the way that you've chosen to interpret your vectors. This also determines the way that you construct your matrices too -- a matrix designed to transform a column-vector is the transpose of a matrix designed to transform a row-vector.

Also, if one part of your code works with column-major and another part works with row-major, and you share data without performing the appropriate conversion, then the effect of that is a mathematical transpose, which does affect your math and reverse your order of operations... It's not that column/row majorness has changed your order of operations here though -- it's the mathematical transpose that you've performed that has done so.

Edited by Hodgman, 03 April 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#15 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13945

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Not even majorness matters. What determines whether the vector goes on the left or the right hand side of the matrix depends on whether you use row or column vectors and nothing else.

In computer science, matrices in which the vectors are in the columns are called “column-major” matrices and matrices with the vectors in rows are called “row-major” matrices. Note that this does not refer to memory layouts alone, as the matrices used by OpenGL and Direct3D both have the exact same memory layout, despite being column-major and row-major respectively. 

Although you are talking about the side in which a vector must appear, the original context was the order in which matrices are multiplied with respect to “majorness”, which is an accurate way (within computer science) to make the distinction.

L. Spiro
It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#16 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30885

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

In computer science, matrices in which the vectors are in the columns are called “column-major” matrices and matrices with the vectors in rows are called “row-major” matrices. Note that this does not refer to memory layouts alone, as the matrices used by OpenGL and Direct3D both have the exact same memory layout, despite being column-major and row-major respectively. 
D3D/GL support both row-major and column-major storage, and both "row major"/"column major" mathematical element layouts (using the quoted definition), so it doesn't make sense to say that one is row-major and the other is column-major... they're both, both, using both definitions of majorness.

Under this definition, what would you call a matrix that has been constructed to transform row-vectors (i.e. has the basis vectors stored in the mathematical rows), but is stored in memory using column-major array ordering?

#17 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13945

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

D3D/GL support both row-major and column-major storage

What do you mean by “storage”? The memory layout? Majorness isn’t defined by memory layout alone.

so it doesn't make sense to say that one is row-major and the other is column-major

I’m quoting the specification.
http://www.opengl.org/archives/resources/faq/technical/transformations.htm

The OpenGL Specification and the OpenGL Reference Manual both use column-major notation.

Of course both GLSL and HLSL can use either, but I am referring to the result of using deprecated OpenGL matrix functions, recent GLKit functions, and the D3DXMatrix* set of functions, in addition to the results produced by those functions during multiplication.

Under this definition, what would you call a matrix that has been constructed to transform row-vectors (i.e. has the basis vectors stored in the mathematical rows), but is stored in memory using column-major array ordering?

Again, memory layout is not the defining factor. Transposing a matrix switches its “majorness” no matter what, but the actual storage can be as arbitrary as physical RAM index sequence 12 4 8 10 0 3, etc., as long as the routines that work with them are written to pluck out the proper values for the operation they are performing.

Native matrix functions provided by OpenGL 1.0 and Direct3D 9 exemplify this well.
Both have the same layout in RAM but the routines that work with them have been written to produce the result you would expect given the order of multiplication and the “majorness”. That is, assume A and B are exactly the same matrices in RAM (same physical layout and values). In OpenGL’s/GLKit’s math routines, B × A = C whereas in Direct3D’s math routines A × B = C.

Matrix majorness in computer science is specifically used to describe the order of multiplication, not the memory layout.
That is, majorness is the combination of both the memory layout and the routines that work on that memory. OpenGL math routines are designed to produce a B × A = C as a column-major result, but it would still be column-major if you transposed the matrices in physical RAM (changing the storage/memory layout) and also rewrote the matrix multiply routine accordingly. It would still produce the result, B × A = C, and that is (in computer science) the only practical use for the terms “column major” and “row major”.

The Wikipedia article on row-major (etc.) states that it actually is about memory layout, but if that is strictly true then it contradicts itself because it also says OpenGL/OpenGL ES are column-major, even though their matrices (as produced by their own matrix functions) are stored as described in the article’s row-major section in RAM.

I submit that in computer science “row major” and “column major” actually refer to the expected result given an order of multiplication (whether A × B = C (row-major) or B × A = C (column-major)).  The memory layout and the routines to work with them work together to produce the expected result, and the frank fact is that when you want to tell another programmer the order in which to multiply his or her matrices you tell him or her the “majorness”.

L. Spiro

Edited by L. Spiro, 03 April 2014 - 08:20 PM.

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”

#18 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30885

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

I’m quoting the specification.
http://www.opengl.org/archives/resources/faq/technical/transformations.htm
The Wikipedia article on row-major (etc.) states that it actually is about memory layout, but if that is strictly true then it contradicts itself because it also says OpenGL/OpenGL ES are column-major, even though their matrices (as produced by their own matrix functions) are stored as described in the article’s row-major section in RAM.

There's no contradiction - the GL spec describes a column-major array indexing scheme -- that element #0 is row0/col0, and element #4 is row0/col1 (x=1,y=0), not row1/col0 (x=0,y=1) as in row-major ordering.

Your FAQ link says "OpenGL matrices are 16-value arrays with base vectors laid out contiguously in memory. The translation components occupy the 13th, 14th, and 15th elements of the 16-element matrix", but it fails to mention that these base vectors are columns. The fact that it fails to mention it seems to imply that they think that there is a consensus that everyone knows that column-vectors are everyone's default choice or something... sleep.png 
i.e. If we label the 4x4 matrix elements as:
89AB
CDEF
The GL spec says that the LoadMatrix function expects those items to be ordered in RAM as 0,4,8,C,1,5,9,D,2,6,A,E,3,7,B,F, and that the translation components will be in 3, 7 and B.
Your link doesn't spell this out, but it does refer to section 2.11.2 of the spec, which does explicitly state all this.

So the GL specification for it's fixed function pipeline is based around column-major array notation (store the items in RAM by writing out each column), and it also specifies that it expects you to be using column-vectors (the basis vectors are stored in the mathematical columns of the matrix).

It also defines LoadTransposeMatrix (instead of the usual LoadMatrix), which is defined to accept a matrix stored in row-major array notation, but still using column vectors (i.e. the translation components are still in 3/7/B, but the storage ordering in ram is now 1,2,3,4,5...). What is this kind of matrix called? It's "column major" according to your definition as it uses the multiplication ordering required of column-vectors, but in RAM the elements are stored using the computer-science row-major array addressing convention! It's a column-vector matrix stored as row-major.

This is just the spec for fixed-function stuff though. Modern GL/D3D don't have math libraries, requiring you to make your own choice about conventions.
On the GLSL/HLSL side where matrices are used, you're free to choose column-vectors or row-vectors, and you're free to choose the RAM storage scheme, e.g. with column_major or row_major keywords (these keywords only affect the RAM storage scheme, they don't affect the maths at all).
You can use the two common choices of column-vector matrices stored in column-major, or row-vector matrices stored in row-major, but can also use the less common column-vector matrices stored in row-major and row-vector matrices stored in column-major!

Matrix majorness in computer science is specifically used to describe the order of multiplication, not the memory layout.

In my experience, it only describes the memory layout -- arrays are much more of a common computer science topic than 4x4 matrices are. Every programmer or language designer needs to deal with column-vs-row array storage conventions, but not everyone has to deal with transformation matrices. Transformation matrices just inherit this problem because they happen to be a 2-dimensional matrix.

Moreover, the issue of whether you store your basis vectors in the rows or columns of your matrix is a mathematical problem -- it exists when doing math on paper, completely independent of computer-science issues. If one mathematician on a project is storing basis vectors in rows and treating his vectors as row-vectors, while the rest or treating their vectors as column-vectors and storing basis-vectors in columns, you're gonna have a bad time.

When we start using matrices in computer-land, we inherit both these problems. Do we store our basis vectors in rows/columns (do we treat vectors are row-vectors or column-vectors), and also how to we address our 2d arrays?

I submit that in computer science “row major” and “column major” actually refer to the expected result given an order of multiplication

You just quoted a wikipedia article that disagrees, so, citation needed? tongue.png

In maths though, where all the computer complications don't apply, I've seen "row-vector matrices" and "column-vector matrices" called row-major/column-major, post-fix/pre-fix, post-concatenate/pre-concatenate... I what the standard mathematical jargon for those two styles is.

But, these guys pre-date the transistor, so if they're calling their matrices designed for the row-vector convention "row-major", then it's a bit of math jargon, not comp-sci jargon... which is confusing, because in comp-sci row/column-major usually refer to 2D array indexing schemes.

Edited by Hodgman, 03 April 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#19 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13945

-1Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

In the book chapters I gave you (for OpenGL ES) you can see that I originally described row-major and column-major as being how the data is stored in RAM (which aligns with everything you have said here).

While writing the next chapter I happened upon this.

The description for GLKMatrix4MakeTranslation() leaves no room for error, but I tested it by creating a matrix with it and then stopping it in the debugger to see the actual RAM layout.  It’s “row major” according to the Wikipedia link, and matches the exact memory layout of both my engine and Direct3D.

Yet when I called GLKMatrix4Multiply(), I get the correct C only if I call it as GLKMatrix4Multiply( B, A ), whereas in Direct3D and in my engine I have to call MatMul( A, B ) to get the same C.

So there is definitely a discrepancy, and it is not just about how it is laid out in RAM.

Even though GLKit is free to deviate from the OpenGL specification, it proves that RAM layout is not what decides A × B vs. B × A.

Additionally, the OpenGL API may be internally transposing it before storing it.  Because OpenGL uses column-major notation, they may have made a public API that take data that looks column-major in RAM but internally transpose it.

I have yet to confirm this, but I may over the weekend by using MHS and looking at the actual RAM inside the OpenGL DLL.

However in the case of GLKit on iOS, I viewed the RAM in a debugger already and verified that it writes to physical RAM in row-major (Direct3D style) order.

It’s verified that the RAM matches Direct3D’s to the byte yet uses post-multiplication vs. Direct3D’s pre-multiplication.

It is a fairly confusing topic, but I have confirmed for-sure through GLKit on iOS that the memory layout is not related to calling it “row major” or “column-major”.  The memory layout is the same, but GLKit is designed to access the matrix in a transposed way.

Frankly I am no longer sure what to put in my book because Wikipedia and my past self claim it is up to how it is laid out in RAM whereas GLKit contradicts that.

It’s an iOS book so…

L. Spiro

#20 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30885

1Likes

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

The description for GLKMatrix4MakeTranslation() leaves no room for error, but I tested it by creating a matrix with it and then stopping it in the debugger to see the actual RAM layout.  It’s “row major” according to the Wikipedia link, and matches the exact memory layout of both my engine and Direct3D.

No matter which conventions we choose, on paper, rows are always rows and columns always columns. Below (A) on the left is a column-vector matrix ("column major" in maths), while (B) on the right is a row-vector matrix ("row major" in maths).

(A)  (B)
100x 1000
010y 0100
001z 0010
0001 xyz1

Those are two different well defined mathematical objects. One is a matrix designed for pre-concatenation, the other designed for post-concatenation (or one for transforming column-vectors, the other for transforming row-vectors).

However, if we write (A) into RAM using column-major array indexing, we get the data stream of 100001000010xyz1.
And if we write (B) into RAM using row-major array indexing, we get the same data stream of 100001000010xyz1!

Mathematical matrix multiplication always works the same way, no matter which conventions you use -- it's defined on rows and columns, which aren't changed by convention.

The issue is that the GLK are interpreting that RAM data stream using column-major array indexing, so they interpret that data as the mathematical object underneath (A).

D3DX on the other hand interprets that data stream using row-major array indexing, so they end up using the mathematical object drawn underneath (B).

Both functions received the same raw bytes and both performed the same well-defined mathematical operation of a matrix multiply, but they've decoded those bytes differently, ending up with different mathematical objects, meaning the results they produce are predictably different!

It is a fairly confusing topic, but I have confirmed for-sure through GLKit on iOS that the memory layout is not related to calling it “row major” or “column-major”.  The memory layout is the same, but GLKit is designed to access the matrix in a transposed way.

GLK is interpreting everything using column-major array indexing, but it's also constructing it's matrices around the column-vectors convention.

D3DX is interpreting everything using row-major arraying indexing, but it's also constructing it's matrices around the row-vector convention.

The memory layout of each is the transpose of the other, but the data used by each is also the transpose of the other -- both of these cancel out so that when you look at the raw bytes, they appear the same! The maths that they each end up doing on those bytes is still the opposite of each other though, because they're using opposite mathematical conventions.

P.S. I've been meaning to give you feedback on your book stuff for agesunsure.png wub.png

Edited by Hodgman, 04 April 2014 - 12:34 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS