• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

[2D Top-Down Car Game] Braking

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 ookki   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm really new in "coding" (I'm actually using GameMaker so I don't know if it can even be considered that) so I think I'm still lacking in the right mindset. I started making a car game just for the pure fun of playing with some really simple physics, until I got in touch with (the seemingly infamous) guide of Marco Monster (http://www.asawicki.info/Mirror/Car%20Physics%20for%20Games/Car%20Physics%20for%20Games.html).

That's when the things started to get difficult and extremely fun! I enjoy trying to figure these things out. 

For the last week I've been wrestling with slipratio but I finally somehow nailed it with RK4 (which I hadn't even heard about two weeks ago).

But now I stumbled upon a new obstacle which I just can't seem to get a grip of. Braking.

I know that I basically should put a friction force on the wheel which should then be turned into a torque(?) that resists the angular velocity of the wheel slowing it down. After that, my slipratio calculations should make the car slowdown and finally stop. This is the part which I don't get, how do I make tire stop a zero angular velocity? It must be somehow related with angular velocity and traction torque, right? I just can't get a hold of it.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. I read somewhere that the simplest way to simulate engine breaking is k*rps. Has anybody ran into a "realistic" coefficient?

Edited by ookki, 03 April 2014 - 04:30 PM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS