Proof of Concept

Started by
5 comments, last by INRI1167 10 years ago

When you hire a studio to develop your game, do you pay for the demo, or do they provide it for free? To make sure that they can deliver on your specifications. How does it all work?

Advertisement
Would you work for free, in the hopes that your work may turn out to be acceptable to a potentially fickle employer/investor/whatever?

Once you realise the answer to this, the answer to the next question is that it is typically beyond the means of most mere mortals to hire a studio to develop a game. For example, the Minecraft developer/owner Notch, who is easily a multi-millionaire, was apparently interested in funding development of "Psychonauts 2", but balked at the alleged 18 million dollar price tag that Double Fine required (More information).

I should of phrased it better, i don't want the demo for free. What I would need to see if they can deliver something that has not been tried before, don't they have to prove that they can create the game you want? Before you spend tons of money on a concept that wont work.

1. What I would need to see if they can deliver something that has not been tried before, don't they have to prove that they can create the game you want?
2. Before you spend tons of money on a concept that wont work

1. You look at their track record. See what games they have made. Talk to the companies for whom they made those games and ask how they were to work with.
2. The risk that your concept might not "work" (not sure what that means) is all YOUR risk, not theirs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think it's also traditional to pay the company based on them completing milestones. But if your design is untested, it may require a lot of testing and problem solving to get right and that should be accounted for in the planning stage, you can't ask for or expect miracles.

I should of phrased it better, i don't want the demo for free. What I would need to see if they can deliver something that has not been tried before, don't they have to prove that they can create the game you want? Before you spend tons of money on a concept that wont work.

I have to agree with Tom on this one. Every studio, unless they just started, will have a track record to show what they can do. You paying to have them do it means the risk is all on you and not the company as you would be the designer and have final say on everything.

The issue I have is bolded above because very few things have "not been tried". I've lost track of how many things I've said had never been done before and people were able to link to games that did in fact do it. Outside of that, I'd say good luck in your endeavour.

Thank you for your comments guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement