• Create Account

A Collaborative Free and Open-Source OS?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
116 replies to this topic

#41 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

Now that I think about it, perhaps an OS with AI would be the best OS.
I used this software once that I can't find anyone called Cynthia 3.0. It was pretty much a chat bot whose image and animation you could change. You could teach it like:
"The sun is a big ball of burning gas in the sky."
This information would be saved to a text file.
Then you could type "what is a sun?"
And it would respond "The sun is a big ball of burning gas in the sky."
Creating a useful enough AI for such a system as seen in sic-fi movies doesn't seem far off with technology like this around, other than voice recognition files, and realistic text to speech recordings.
I myself am working on a pretty realistic AI system that started as a way to detect objects like we do in real life using senses.
I just picked up a new term called "fuzzy logic." That is what such a system as JARVIS would need to use.
To make such AI, You would need the most skilled people in every major science, medical, and artistic field (artistic if you want to make an iron man suit). And you'd need a good and simple yet effective plan.
Perhaps you'd need a cross of augmented reality and virtual reality to get sight right for iron man.
This topic has turned rather fantastic. Haha.

Have you heard of JARVIS OS? It's being made by a group of 7 people with an average age of < 20. The founder is less than 20 (last time i checked).
Making something as awesome as this is simply hard. Take it one step at a time.
For example, you can start with "JARVIS, search for Iron man on google" then "JARVIS, backup all my phone data and check my schedule" till you reach "JARVIS, make me a watchdogs duplicate and an engine 10 times more efficient than cryengine+unreal". Eventually, it'll reach "Kitt (do you know Kitt?), attack mode". Come to think of it, Kitt is better than JARVIS (name wise).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Sponsor:

#42 mikeman   Members   -  Reputation: 2224

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

Right, and you happen to have any idea yourself on how that machine/AI would be built, other than wishing about it and fantasizing about its existence inspired by comic books and movies? I mean, you realize, you haven't even thought up the *fictional* JARVIS, sci-fi writers have. All you've done so far is wishing it existed, and even your types of "wishes" ("make me an engine 10 times more efficient than cryengine") show exteme naivety: "Make me an engine more efficient than X" means squat. This is not Alladin and the Magical Genie. Even to a hypothetical extremely advanced AI, you'd have to lay down the specifications of the system you want to be built in exact detail. Not only you have absolutely no idea on what this system would take to be built, you have absolutely no idea on what the input to such a system would need to be to yield useful results. Your fantasies would be weak even as sci-fi fan literature, let alone scientific reality.

See, I could go around on forums too, claiming I will "start" with a spaceship that speeds at 0.1c, then at 0.3c, then at 0.5c, and eventually "it'll reach" one that speeds at 0.999c and visit other solar system...and the reality would be...I haven't even made a LEGO spaceship yet.

Yeah...things seem *real* easy when your context are action sci-fi movies, and every problem is solved with technobabble, hand-waving and a change of polarity.

For crying out loud mate, I've seen you go on about this for months, on more than one forums, things are not gonna materialize if you fantasize about them long enough. Snap out of it and start *making* something instead of counting how many lines of code Unreal has. Maybe then you'll see how hard building something really is and what does it take. Right now you have a head full of fantasies and absolutely nothing to show. Not even a pong clone.

Edited by mikeman, 07 April 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#43 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

I mean, you realize, you haven't even thought up the *fictional* JARVIS, sci-fi writers have. All you've done so far is wishing it existed . . .
For crying out loud mate, I've seen you go on about this for months, on more than one forums. Snap out of it and start *making* something instead of counting how many lines of code Unreal has.

1) You have no idea what i've thought up.
2) Show me exactly where i said "i wish it will exist".
3) Show me exactly where i said "i am starting this project today".
4) Show me exactly where i said "i'm not going to make a pong clone".
Thanks.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#44 mikeman   Members   -  Reputation: 2224

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

But everything you say is merely a wish. So far I haven't seen you contribute to this forum anything other than posting about how you will someday make the most advanced thing ever and what it will do. That's a wish smile.png

Gah, anyway, we've derailed this thread way too much...in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have made those posts, but, well...

Edited by mikeman, 07 April 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#45 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2822

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

I just picked up a new term called "fuzzy logic." That is what such a system as JARVIS would need to use.

If your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

I'm sure anything like JARVIS would need a lot more advanced methods then just fuzzy logic.

Specially since fuzzy logic has been around for 60-100 years depending on how you count, and we still don't have any Jarvises..

This is to both TD and Nathan2222:

If you are serious about AI, a good starting point is reading "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" by Peter Norvig and Stuart Russel.

Just to get up to speed with the current "state of the art", before trying to improve on it, and to not spend too much time on already mapped ground.

Link to the books homepage: http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/

Edited by Olof Hedman, 07 April 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#46 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1567

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

here
here
here
here
here
here
here

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#47 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I mean, you realize, you haven't even thought up the *fictional* JARVIS, sci-fi writers have. All you've done so far is wishing it existed . . .
For crying out loud mate, I've seen you go on about this for months, on more than one forums. Snap out of it and start *making* something instead of counting how many lines of code Unreal has.

Thanks.

1) This one is true. You have frequently denied the meaning behind your posts so even though you say lots of stuff who knows what you are thinking

2) Plenty of times just in this topic and plenty elsewhere too

3) You probably should be starting it so that way it stops being a dream

4) You may not have used those words but many times you gave out about advice given to beginners and single programmers.

#48 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

hereherehereherehereherehere
All those "here's" and not one "wish".
@mikeman: You see. You just abruptly said things i didn't say, just like you did in another thread. Hmm.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#49 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Thanks.
1) This one is true. You have frequently denied the meaning behind your posts so even though you say lots of stuff who knows what you are thinking
4) You may not have used those words but many times you gave out about advice given to beginners and single programmers.
show where i said "i wish this OS existed" and i'll stop. Just one, please.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#50 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1567

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

No you don't understand, let me answer this with a quote:

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#51 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

No you don't understand, let me answer this with a quote:

seriously?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#52 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

Thanks.

If you want to make it, then you want it to exist in the future. Common sense and logic

My version of J.A.R.V.I.S. not Tony Stark's J.A.R.V.I.S. except you know any need to have a weirdly powered super suit for fighting things with a cell in the user as a heart?
You don't make that by reading "that book", except you know something i don't. Just one certain kind of architecture needed and yes, "if you can dream it, you can make it". 

That's why i'm tired of watching movies rather than making the things in the movies 

I WILL still do it and the assumption of doing it alone is interesting. 

And those are quotes saying you want to make it.

#53 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4329

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

In all seriousness, what is it to dream though? Are we in a dream? Are you all a figment of my imagination? What is a "figment" anyway?

Such mysteries of life.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#54 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Thanks.
If you want to make it, then you want it to exist in the future. Common sense and logic

My version of J.A.R.V.I.S. not Tony Stark's J.A.R.V.I.S. except you know any need to have a weirdly powered super suit for fighting things with a cell in the user as a heart?[/size]You don't make that by reading "that book", except you know something i don't. Just one certain kind of architecture needed and yes, "if you can dream it, you can make it". [/size]

That's why i'm tired of watching movies rather than making the things in the movies

I WILL still do it and the assumption of doing it alone is interesting.

And those are quotes saying you want to make it.
It is common sense so why haven't i seen "wish" there? This is why i don't like arguing. Someone brings up things i didn't say and i argue and eventually it gets locked, just like most of my threads :(.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#55 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

In all seriousness, what is it to dream though? Are we in a dream? Are you all a figment of my imagination? What is a "figment" anyway?

Such mysteries of life.

A "figment" of God's imagination.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#56 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1567

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Such mysteries of life.

You're asking the big questions, to which there are no straight answers.

I've been watching a lot of Rupert Sheldrake's talks recently. He's conducted numerous experiments with evidence showing that we are all connected subconsciously somehow, and puts forward the idea that we share the same subconsciousness - a "morphogenic field"- as he calls it - located outside of the spacetime continuum. Dreaming is simply the act of returning to said subconsciousness.

Perhaps you and I are the same being when viewed from the greater picture of schemes. It's what makes the most sense in my mind currently.

I've spent a great deal of my life absently questioning our existence and thinking about questions such as these, and while it's fun to make theories, ultimately one can only speculate.

Edited by TheComet, 07 April 2014 - 10:54 AM.

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#57 ProtectedMode   Members   -  Reputation: 1212

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

It is common sense so why haven't i seen "wish" there? This is why i don't like arguing. Someone brings up things i didn't say and i argue and eventually it gets locked, just like most of my threads sad.png.

Maybe that's because you and others are continously arguing? Just like this thread. It's about operating systems but half the posts are of people arguing.

I suppose we go a bit more on-topic again?

Creating a kernel yourself won't be easy, and will probably never get to the speed or amount of featuers the Linux kernel has. You could however take another - more modular - kernel like Minix and develop your own desktop environment for it and change the kernel to fit your needs.

Edited by ProtectedMode, 07 April 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#58 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1797

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

It is common sense so why haven't i seen "wish" there? This is why i don't like arguing. Someone brings up things i didn't say and i argue and eventually it gets locked, just like most of my threads sad.png.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/wish?q=wish

Just because you don't use the word doesn't mean you don't use the meaning of the word.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#59 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

It is common sense so why haven't i seen "wish" there? This is why i don't like arguing. Someone brings up things i didn't say and i argue and eventually it gets locked, just like most of my threads :(.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/wish?q=wish

Just because you don't use the word doesn't mean you don't use the meaning of the word.
Seriously? You want to argue?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

#60 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1567

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

714-epic-facepalm.jpg

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS