• Create Account

How to lengthen specular reflection ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlackBrain   Members   -  Reputation: 313

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hello everyone.

I took a look at Unrea Engine paper and I see a picture that it was called specular D modification. I didn't find anything on how to achieve the effect .

Here's a shot :  http://uploadax.com/images/28835413724170240386.jpg

I want to know how is it possible to create that effect ? Actually lengthen the specular part ?

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10909

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

I believe that the older "area light" stuff they presented back then isn't actually used anymore. It was a really rough approximation, and their specular model in general had a few problems. If you go with a "standard" microfacet BRDF with proper D + G + F terms, you should get "lengthy" reflections without doing any special work. You can look at my course notes from SIGGRAPH for an example of a GGX-based microfacet specular model, and you can also look at Brian Karis's course notes from the same course to see a more recent update on what they're doing for UE4.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS