• Create Account

Good step-by-step development tutorials/books

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

#1 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

7Likes

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'm looking exceptional step-by-step development tutorials and books. Something that takes an idea and goes through each and every detail until the final game is done. A nice example of this is the "Reconstructing Cave Story" tutorial: clean and modern C++ code, mixed with a very good explanation. Do you guys know any other series with such great content? 

ps.: I'm looking for something more serious, not "Construct" or "Game Maker" series. C/C++ only! :)

Sponsor:

#2 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

2Likes

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Great link!

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#3 georger.araujo   Members   -  Reputation: 824

5Likes

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

I'm looking exceptional step-by-step development tutorials and books. Something that takes an idea and goes through each and every detail until the final game is done. A nice example of this is the "Reconstructing Cave Story" tutorial: clean and modern C++ code, mixed with a very good explanation. Do you guys know any other series with such great content? 

ps.: I'm looking for something more serious, not "Construct" or "Game Maker" series. C/C++ only! smile.png

All of these are C++.

SFML Game Development is (heavy) C++11 and goes from start to finish. It's not for beginners, though.

SDL Game Development is decent but far from exceptional; there are flaws, bugs and non-sequiturs. But it taught me some tricks and good practices, and (perhaps unintentionally) showed me some bad practices I should better avoid.

I find Game From Scratch's C++ Game Tutorial series pretty good. Unfortunately, it ended before being 100% finished. Still, very educational.

#4 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

0Likes

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for mentioning those two books, they are great and i heavily recommend them. I would, however, recommend reading the SDL one first, so you can understand the abstractions mentioned in the SFML one better.

completely forgot about them! Looking for more tutorials/books though. :D

#5 Ludus   Members   -  Reputation: 970

1Likes

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Unfortunately, that Reconstructing Cave Story series is probably the most detailed tutorial you'll find for step-by-step game creation. Although much more simplistic, you may want to check out the Snake tutorial on this website if you haven't already.

#6 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

4Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

I also found this nice Roguelike tutorial (c++ and libtcod): http://codeumbra.eu/complete-roguelike-tutorial-using-c-and-libtcod-part-1-setting-up

#7 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1775

2Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

http://www.3dbuzz.com/

have lots of step by step tutorials that create complete games

#8 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

2Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

3D Buzz C++/OpenGL tutorials are outdated and full of bad practices. 

#9 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1775

0Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

I wasn't talking about their OpenGL tutorials.  I was talking about their beginners C++ tutorials in which they make a complete game from scratch.  These may be a little dated but as a tutorial for somebody who wants to make a complete game step by step they are a good start. 

From your original post I thought the onus was in tutorials that provided complete step by step tutorials on making a game.

Edited by Buster2000, 15 April 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#10 sujit1717   Members   -  Reputation: 214

-2Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

If you are not sticking to c++ then Game Maker is a good tool for beginners and there are lots of books availble too.

#11 BHXSpecter   Members   -  Reputation: 1670

0Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

I have to agree that, sadly, there are not very many things that go in detailed steps like the Cave Story link. I also agree with the Games from Scratch link and the SFML Game Development/SDL Game Development books being great resources. I own both books, as I love to buy books just so I can read them and recommend them if I like them.

If you are not sticking to c++ then Game Maker is a good tool for beginners and there are lots of books availble too

No one said they were giving up on C++. If someone gave up on C++ due to its complexity, I wouldn't recommend Game Maker until the last resort, but rather C#, Java, Python as an alternative language to try and learn instead or Unity. Then ultimately Game Maker, but again I don't recall reading anyone saying they were leaving C++.

"Through vengence I was born.Through war I was trained.Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose."

#12 Mouser9169   Members   -  Reputation: 401

6Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

You're not going to find a book that does what you're looking for. At least not for any moderately complex program.

It would have to include C++ techniques and practices, 3D modelling, Level Design, Writing (from story to scene and structure to dialog), User Interfaces. The thing would be 10k pages long, which makes it hard on publishers to come up with a decent binding for the tome.

My advice is this: don't try to learn it all at once. Learn every piece in isolation first. Your want to learn 3D modelling? Great - get some books or tutorials on Maya or Max or Blender. You want to learn to write so people can get 'sucked into' your game? "Story" by Robert McKee is a good first stop. The 'Elements of Fiction Writing' series is another good place to look (smaller, more focused books). You want to learn to code C++? Get  Stroustrup's book - along with books on Design Patterns, Algorithms, and Data Structures. If you want to make (or at least edit) your own music, toss in some tutorials on Pro Tools or Audacity or whatever DAW you want to work with. Learn to build and design levels - forget gameplay, just focus on the levels/maps themselves and what makes one "good" and another "boring"; or one "challenging" and another "/ragequit".

Once you've got all those pieces down, you can learn to put them together to create something. At that point you can focus on the game creation, without the distractions of 'How does this work?' or 'What is this tool doing here?'

Edited by Mouser9169, 15 April 2014 - 11:33 PM.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

#13 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

The thing is, i'm not looking for a complex program. Step-by-step tutorials are great for knowing the small design decisions and challenges that you are faced when creating a project from scratch. The SDL and SFML books mentioned in this topic are great examples of that. The games are very similar, but the authors have very different approaches to similar decisions. This, in my opinion, is precious when creating a project of your own. Being able to see the problems in different perspectives is priceless.

To sum up, i'm not looking for something that does the job for me, but something that gives me a different perspective, a different way to tackle common problems in game development. Step-by-step tutorials are great for this, specially if we focus on C/C++ tutorials. Having that said, i wish we could share more links and book names instead of discussing the morality of the topic.

#14 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

3Likes

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

Bumping with this article: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/page/Game-From-Scratch-CPP-Edition.aspx

Quite good.

#15 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

0Likes

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

This one is also good if you're into OpenGL: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenGL_Programming/Glescraft_1

#16 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

-1Likes

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Bumping for more articles! :D

Maybe we should organize this into a wiki or something.

#17 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

0Likes

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Great series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTEcWGdSiQenl4YRPvSqW7UPC6SiGNN7e (Arkanoid Clone, C++11)

#18 Misantes   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1209

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:03 AM

http://codingmadeeasy.ca/tutorialLayout/cpp for c++

and

http://codingmadeeasy.ca/tutorialLayout/sfml2 for c++/SFML 2.0.

are both pretty step by step and rather easy to follow. He walks you through the game creation from beginning to (mostly) the end. He does a fairly good job of explaining what he's doing and why, and how it ties into the rest of the program. I found that pretty essential and extremely helpful when I watched them.

Edited by Misantes, 31 July 2014 - 12:50 AM.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt :P

#19 vinnyvicious   Members   -  Reputation: 387

1Likes

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Another great step-by-step tutorial, Tetris in C++:

http://javilop.com/gamedev/tetris-tutorial-in-c-platform-independent-focused-in-game-logic-for-beginners/

#20 BHXSpecter   Members   -  Reputation: 1670

1Likes

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

The issue I have with step-by-step tutorials is that they don't usually promote the programmer taking time to understand it, but rather encourages them to take shortcuts and simply copy and paste the code to get the game done. This leaves them running into the same issue until they stop and try to figure it out themselves or get guidance from another programmer who won't give them the answer right off. That is just my personal opinion on them though.

"Through vengence I was born.Through war I was trained.Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose."

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS