• Create Account

DirectX11 Random Stuttering.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 920

0Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

The application i am developing when playing back movies. Everything plays fine,But every now and then the frame will stutter and then it will start to play smooth again. I have checked all the timing and update clock is always around the 30fps which the movies is encode at. The Engine is running at 60fps which the time stamp between frame is always 16 tp 17 ms which is also correct. So i am kind of confuse why would it stutter out of nowhere. Have anyone ever experience a similar problem with DX11 where they get random stutter and knows how to fix that issue. I have

been tackling this problem for the past month now and i have not been able to find a solution. So anything anyone may now, i would greatly appreciate it. Once again, if you need any more info, just ask.

Sponsor:

#2 Adam_42   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2457

2Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Here's some thoughts:

- NTSC movies aren't 30 FPS. They are 29.97 FPS. Double check the frame rate is actually 30.

- Does this happen at regular intervals, or is it random?

- What code are you using to do the timing and frame rate limiting?

If all else fails, I'd suggest making use of Xperf to record a trace which will let you examine what happened afterwards. You can even add your own events to the trace.

The main downside is that it's not a simple tool to get started with.

#3 Jason Z   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4905

2Likes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

When you are testing it, are you running a release build and running outside of the IDE?  I have had issues in the past with certain DX11 drivers that would have a periodic dip in performance for a single frame, and it only occurred in a debug build.

#4 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 920

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Here's some thoughts:

- NTSC movies aren't 30 FPS. They are 29.97 FPS. Double check the frame rate is actually 30.

- Does this happen at regular intervals, or is it random?

- What code are you using to do the timing and frame rate limiting?

If all else fails, I'd suggest making use of Xperf to record a trace which will let you examine what happened afterwards. You can even add your own events to the trace.

The main downside is that it's not a simple tool to get started with.

I am using QueryPerformaceCounter/Frequency to do all timing.  It happens at random. The frame limiting is handle by the Present function where i have vsync turn on.

Edited by BornToCode, 16 April 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#5 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 920

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

When you are testing it, are you running a release build and running outside of the IDE?  I have had issues in the past with certain DX11 drivers that would have a periodic dip in performance for a single frame, and it only occurred in a debug build.

I have tried it both ways and the problem occurs, both in debug/release. I even restarted my machine with nothing else running and try it, Yet it kept happening randomely. I have tested the same thing on xp/dx9 and it does not stutter. It only seems to happen with DX11 on Win7 so far. I have not tested it on Win8

Another thing i want to mention is that sometimes i notice that my movies fall sometimes even 5 ms behind on some random frames from time to time, which makes no sense.

This is driving me crazy. It happens on any movies i throw at the system.

Edited by BornToCode, 16 April 2014 - 03:54 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS