• Create Account

Isnt this forum boring?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
79 replies to this topic

#1 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

I am here about half a year, (wrote many posts read yet more post of others),

but I must say this forum began to bore me till bottom. many praises it, its advantage is really it is on topic, and there are very many people doing close things, but also this forum has some boring force to me, I feel better for example when reading articles in the google, also some other places like old usenet has some kind more indepth attitude than here, not to mention a plactic graphical form of this place i dont like too.. So I think if it is worth to stay it or it is better to move on to antoher place of focus

has some other person such kind of feelings too? 

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18721

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

I don't find it boring personally, but if you think the community is lacking something do you have any suggestions for how it could be improved?

#3 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:08 AM

I don't find it boring personally, but if you think the community is lacking something do you have any suggestions for how it could be improved?

I posted imo there should be better categorisations (like where to begin, and optymisation categories, If divided on more strict categories it could work better imo)

- But I dont think this is the main problem for me, the problem is relating to some energy and attitude factors present here, To many crowd, topic lives to short here, this kind of things..

I feel sadly this forum more kills me (kills my energy ) than helps

me - maybe i should pass out and do some meditation ;/

#4 TheComet   Members   -  Reputation: 1613

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

The people on this forum aren't here to mess around. You ask a question, you get an accurate, professional response, the best response is voted up, and that's that.

You don't get people repeating the same garbage over and over again, like on many other forums. People here actually read the thread before they write an answer, which keeps repetitiveness to a minimum. That's why the threads die quickly - it's because the question is resolved and the thread has served its purpose.

YOUR_OPINION >/dev/null

#5 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

The people on this forum aren't here to mess around. You ask a question, you get an accurate, professional response, the best response is voted up, and that's that.

You don't get people repeating the same garbage over and over again, like on many other forums. People here actually read the thread before they write an answer, which keeps repetitiveness to a minimum. That's why the threads die quickly - it's because the question is resolved and the thread has served its purpose.

It seems so, moderators keep it this way - but this also makes this forum chanelled and shallow in some aspects; and for me it makes the state when it kills me to the bone of some kind of boredom as i said, I am losting my motivation to work, probably I prefer messing around ;/ and more unconventional behaviors, fights etc, etc, etc (I do not even exactly know what but this forum works bad on me, feeling like a schoolboy in boring classroom ;/

Edited by fir, 18 April 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#6 rAm_y_   Members   -  Reputation: 399

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

It seems so, moderators keep it this way - but this also makes this forum chanelled and shallow in some aspects; and for me it makes the state when it kills me to the bone of some kind of boredom as i said, I am losting my motivation to work, probably I prefer messing around ;/ and more unconventional behaviors, fights etc, etc, etc (I do not even exactly know what but this forum works bad on me, feeling like a schoolboy in boring classroom ;/

Go elsewhere then, try irc or gamespot.

#7 rpiller   Members   -  Reputation: 683

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

Gamedev is great for getting answers, but it's not a social forum by any means.

#8 HyperV   Members   -  Reputation: 815

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

you are boring. jking.

i like this forum.

#9 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Go elsewhere then, try irc or gamespot.

irc is indeed far less boring, but this does not mean that this place is boring indeed and cannot be possibly improved ;/

but hope for this is also a weak one, so i noticed it myself that better for me would be move out form here, after a half of year 

presence which i am not sure was worth it at all ;/

(I am not saying this forum is bad, knowledge here is very high 

but Im saying this simultanoeusly boring and strangely and strongly demotivating (at least for me ;/))

#10 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5182

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

I must say this forum began to bore me till bottom.... So I think if it is worth to stay it or it is better to move on to antoher place of focus

Yes.

Over the years I have developed nothing but contempt for people who publicly deride as 'boring' things they have chosen freely to use or participate in. Utter contempt, because the implicit assumption is that we are all here to entertain you and you are important enough for use to spend scarce and expensive time and resources on trying to please (and I'm using 'you' in the generic sense here, not in the personal sense, so do not take it as a direct personal affront). Believe me, in my work I receive plenty correspondence about my product, both privately and in public forums, containing the words 'hate' and 'boring' (and, not so often any more because it's not the current style, 'sucks') and it invariably says much about the self-importance and immaturity of the author and little about anything else, including their intended subject.

So, yes, I also have a feeling that it is better for you to move on to another place of focus.

Here's a suggestion if you want lots of excitement and personal attention: create something, publish it, have people use it. You won't be bored again.

Mean time we're here for serious work. If I want Fun I have a fortress to defend.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8947

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

(I am not saying this forum is bad, knowledge here is very high 
but Im saying this simultanoeusly boring and strangely and strongly demotivating (at least for me ;/))

If it's really bad enough that you feel like you're oppressed or that you've wasted your time on this board, then maybe you should do what you feel is best for you. What else do you suggest? Most of us aren't psychiatrists and can't diagnose demotivation issues, so unless you have specific problems with the forum that you want looked into in order to feel better, nobody can really help you, and while the gamedev community is what it is, it (like everything else) can't please everyone.

PS: I am sure this is obvious but you don't need to spend 100% of your time on gamedev - it is in fact possible to be active on multiple forums at once, which might alleviate the boredom you are experiencing. Maybe try widening your interests, finding a new hobby, or getting involved in another community (not necessarily an online one), perhaps you will find a community that you can spend more time with that isn't as "boring" to you as here.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#12 jHaskell   Members   -  Reputation: 1031

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

If a forum/website is killing your motivation to work, the problem isn't the forum/website.  It really isn't.

#13 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Gamedev strengths are really in answering graphic related, and obviously game related, questions, where stack-overflow and others fail. You can almost always guarantee a graphics development related question on Bing, or Google if you are into that, will have a GD link. However if you were to search for "I am bored entertain me", it is unlikely GD would appear at all.

I don't think you should try to be entertained by these forums, that would be like trying to be entertained by documentation. I am not sure what the long term goal of GD is but somehow I doubt entertaining posters was on its list of priorities.

#14 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

I must say this forum began to bore me till bottom.... So I think if it is worth to stay it or it is better to move on to antoher place of focus

Yes.

Over the years I have developed nothing but contempt for people who publicly deride as 'boring' things they have chosen freely to use or participate in. Utter contempt, because the implicit assumption is that we are all here to entertain you and you are important enough for use to spend scarce and expensive time and resources on trying to please (and I'm using 'you' in the generic sense here, not in the personal sense, so do not take it as a direct personal affront). Believe me, in my work I receive plenty correspondence about my product, both privately and in public forums, containing the words 'hate' and 'boring' (and, not so often any more because it's not the current style, 'sucks') and it invariably says much about the self-importance and immaturity of the author and little about anything else, including their intended subject.

So, yes, I also have a feeling that it is better for you to move on to another place of focus.

Here's a suggestion if you want lots of excitement and personal attention: create something, publish it, have people use it. You won't be bored again.

Mean time we're here for serious work. If I want Fun I have a fortress to defend.

Nay, You understand it wrong, Lets say I am at firecamp or party and found it to mayself that this is boring - i find it as a reason to think if I should move out (so I probably will do) or ask some fallow near a thinking if maybe we could put the things at fire here a bit more ;/

#15 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -460

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Gamedev strengths are really in answering graphic related, and obviously game related, questions, where stack-overflow and others fail. You can almost always guarantee a graphics development related question on Bing, or Google if you are into that, will have a GD link. However if you were to search for "I am bored entertain me", it is unlikely GD would appear at all.

I don't think you should try to be entertained by these forums, that would be like trying to be entertained by documentation. I am not sure what the long term goal of GD is but somehow I doubt entertaining posters was on its list of priorities.

I must be entertained by work, if i get bored i cannot just do this - and im heavy bored recently (this topic also bore me to death to be honest;/)

#16 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

It could be subjective, but I feel that the graphics programming forum became less interesting than it used to be.

A few years ago, there always used to be threads with people researching or implementing the latest and coolest algorithms, but nowadays it's usually some generic problems aside from the occasional GI or raytracing thread.

Maybe it's because most features have been implemented in the common engines or there simply isn't that much new groundbreaking stuff out there. Or it's just subjective.

#17 rpiller   Members   -  Reputation: 683

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

you are important enough for use to spend scarce and expensive time and resources on

I always love this. It acts as if everything someone does is driven towards a goal. Like every min of ones life is always doing something productive. This is the Lounge after all.

#18 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1905

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

you are important enough for use to spend scarce and expensive time and resources on

I always love this. It acts as if everything someone does is driven towards a goal. Like every min of ones life is always doing something productive. This is the Lounge after all.

My experience tells me that passionate, driven people are rarely satisfied unless they're being as productive as possible. Contrary to what you might expect, that doesn't mean working all the time (necessarily), but it does (generally) mean that such a person will want to fill their life with the things they are passionate about as much as possible, often to the point where things that aren't related to their passions seem like distractions. For such a person, time is precious and they tend to be very conscious of this. If you're really dedicated to something or a set of things, most of what you do really will be driven towards those things. That is, from what I've seen, what being "passionate and driven" means in the first place.

From what I've seen, many people on GDNet are such people. Certainly I'm this way; even my hobbies are for the most part "productive" pursuits like model building. I enjoy forum-going on GDNet because it combines one of my passions (gamedev) with a social aspect that brings out opportunities for learning that I wouldn't get elsewhere. I come here to lurk and socialize with people who are knowledgeable in my field. I think many of us feel the same way.

Edited by Oberon_Command, 18 April 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#19 rpiller   Members   -  Reputation: 683

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

This is the lounge forum. A passionate and goal driven person hanging out in this forum and replying to posts in this forum seems like an oxymoron to me. Or, as I was saying, not every min of everyone's life is precious as some would have others believe. 

#20 walsh06   Members   -  Reputation: 662

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Yes.

Nay, You understand it wrong, Lets say I am at firecamp or party and found it to mayself that this is boring - i find it as a reason to think if I should move out (so I probably will do) or ask some fallow near a thinking if maybe we could put the things at fire here a bit more ;/
Am I the only one worried he's going to set fire to the forum.

It was obvious before but now that you are bored of your own topic shows you clearly have an issue that is larger than this forum that needs addressing.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS