• Create Account

2D Rendering using DirectX 11

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 nickyc95   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Ok Hello, 

I am trying to understand 2D rendering in DirectX 11, however I dont know what the best way to go about it is.

I have spoken to a few people who have said using textured quads, however i dont know how to go about doing that.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8280

2Likes

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

2D rendering in D3D11 is really no different from 3D rendering.  You set up your vertex data, set some states and issue a draw call.  The projection matrix you use is different because that's where you get the 2D look from, but that's really just an incredibly small part of your setup.  The reality though is that 2D is really just a special case of 3D.

If you're having difficulty with this then you need to go back to some more basic tutorial material.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 nickyc95   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

2D rendering in D3D11 is really no different from 3D rendering.  You set up your vertex data, set some states and issue a draw call.  The projection matrix you use is different because that's where you get the 2D look from, but that's really just an incredibly small part of your setup.  The reality though is that 2D is really just a special case of 3D.

If you're having difficulty with this then you need to go back to some more basic tutorial material.

I understand how it is done, I was just unaware of any 2D specific things that DX11 has to offer for example a newer version of ID3DX10Sprite.

However i think i have already figured it out, so yeah.

Thank you for the input though.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS