• Create Account

Usage of Lights in directx .?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 aravind   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

can anyone just explain What is the usage of Specular, Ambient, and Diffuse properties of light.. if u can please give some examples..

Sponsor:

#2 newtechnology   Members   -  Reputation: 734

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

Diffuse - specifies how much/how model will be lit when the model receives light. (how much light should it reflect and absorb)

Ambient - specifies how much/how model will be lit when the model does not receive light. (Indirect light, the model would be lit by a uniform colour all over.)

Specular - when light strikes a smooth surface, they generally reflect in a sharp direction. This forms a specular highlight and it is viewport dependent. I think it is harder for me to explain you this because i suck at explanation. I think you should refer to a book, I'd suggest Frank D. Luna's DX11 book.

Edited by newtechnology, 19 April 2014 - 06:10 AM.

#3 Buckeye   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4932

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

I googled "directx 9 lighting" and got 290,000 hits. You might try that. smile.png

Among those 290,000 references, this link provides a nice description of lighting.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS