• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Algorithm to Develop Turn Based Artificial Intelligence

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Exploda   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

Hi I am new here and this is my first post, I'm a graduate of Information Technology, before i graduated my thesis was game development, well i of course developed a game, a strategic board game namely Domination: Battle of Commands that is played by two players (AI is not supported). So i have some slight experience with this field. So here's the story, i love RPG, specially games on the age of Playstation One, specifically, games created by square, yes ive played most of them, Final Fantasy Series, Legend of Dragoon, and so on. But i was heart broken when the company merged with enix. So it was my childhood dream to create a game like that again. i can manage to create the game, but the thing is i dont know how to create those monsters(Artificial Intelligence) which is Turn-based. Can anyone help me with this. if i can only study some techniques. BTW, it is my dream to revive square. :)

Never call them noobs, you never know what they can do

Sponsor:

#2 Álvaro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 14311

7Likes

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

There are several things to think about. First of all, you need to determine how your agents perceive the world and what actions are available to them. This is important because it establishes the interface between the AI and the rest of your game.

Once the interface is clear, you need to ask yourself whether the computer is playing to win, or if it is trying to exhibit behaviors that lead to interesting gameplay.

By your description of the situation (the AI is taking the place of a human in playing a turn-based game), it sounds like you are in the first case. Here there are two classes of algorithms to consider: minimax search and Monte Carlo tree search. Minimax is only feasible in two-player, zero-sum games with perfect information and alternating moves (checkers, chess, connect-4...). MCTS is applicable to a much much larger set of games, including games with randomness, games with more than two players and games with simultaneous decisions. Even hidden information can be handled, but that's trickier.

For the other type of AI (not necessarily trying to win, but you want to be able to tailor the behaviors as part of the game design), there are several approaches you can consider. Here's a decent overview: http://intrinsicalgorithm.com/IAonAI/2012/11/ai-architectures-a-culinary-guide-gdmag-article/

It's a big field, but you don't need to learn everything to get started. Good luck!

#3 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2492

0Likes

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

from the topic title it sounds like you are looking for genetic algorithms - but you're not (at least yet).

Alvaro's link is what you want.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS