• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

The "fun" of being a one man show.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 RedMongoose   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hi all!

First post, but thought i'd throw in my two cents.

I've been working on game programming theories for years now- making small engines and playing about with programming a few sandbox engines.

My current project is a culmination with a few friends as something to pour ideas into. What has resulted is a large universe on paper, and something we've started mixing into this engine and morphing it. What was words is quickly becoming realized, but there lies a problem: it seems i'm the only one making media / programming. 

Sure, there's lots of ideas flying around, and things are shaping up pretty OK, thought it seems daily, i'm doing something different and rarely working on the engine anymore. So many steps to create something of scale, and it's very easy to get discouraged- Been at this pretty nonstop since last November, and don't even really have too many basic gameplay elements down- just the framework of everything.

So, how many of you programmers also take on media creation at the same time, which partly kills your drive to bust out the engine? I've never really had a proper "team", but made a few small games throughout my time as a programmer. This project is my first "large" scale undertaking, and it seems like there's so much further to go.

Here's how the general flow is looking currently- though quite rough. I'm only one guy, so it's hard to get everything nice and polished. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejOK9tGQ_6o - There's a lot of silly things going on, because sandboxes are fun to mess around in! :P Let me know what you think otherwise.

Hopefully I can find some interested people and get production going faster...

Sponsor:

#2 Postie   Members   -  Reputation: 1116

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

In my experience, finding the right people to collaborate with is very hard. Unless they are being paid, they will rarely share your passion for the project. For them its merely a diversion that will be trumped by almost anything else in their life.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get those people involved. They will often have great ideas you may not have thought of yourself. But don't go into the project thinking it will be a 50:50 split of effort. 

Now then, to the issue of content creation. If you're doing it yourself, then I've found the best way is focussed bursts. Ie, if I need to create some Icons in-game, I work out a whole lot that I will need then churn them all out in one go, and then go back to coding, rather than create them one at a time as needed. Once I accepted the fact that as a "one-man show" you will wear many hats, then I was much more focussed.

Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog: ByteWrangler

#3 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1758

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

I personally like the idea of jams, basically trying to find a way to get together with a team for 5 days for example, and see what comes out. Pure focus always helps?

I share the thought that it's difficult to combine basically more one men shows into one project. You can of course try to influence that by making a good project plan (game concept, requirements, game plan) and brainstorm together with the team to get the requirements complete. It's always more motivating to deliver things you were a part of then doing it because someone else thought of it and simply asks you.

#4 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 3314

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

i'm doing something different and rarely working on the engine anymore. [...]

So, how many of you programmers also take on media creation at the same time, which partly kills your drive to bust out the engine?

Is using a third-party engine out of the question? It would spare a lot of time for you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS