• Create Account

Retro Java RPG game -- after some feedback and maybe a designer/artist

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I posted an early version of this a while back, and due to a lack of artistic skill (me) or resource (someone else) put it on hold. I also found it painful to distribute Java applications in a user friendly way. I've decided to dust this project off a bit and get some feedback, maybe some motivation and even perhaps a designer/artist to help shape something.

You can download a ZIP of the game here, just run Survive.jar. If you want to test the Java-less install, it's here. The Windows Installer, Applet and JNLP do not work currently for various reasons (one of which being I can't remember how to build an EXE in Eclipse)

Anyway, interested in some feedback or any offers of help :-)

Kind regards,

Ian

Sponsor:

#2 krinosx   Members   -  Reputation: 527

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

#edited: I did not see your mention to: "The Applet and JNLP do not work currently" ( The original content asked to fix the applet's permissions request )

Btw... you may use a plugin/app called "FatJAR' to build your EXE from eclipse. In currently version of eclipse you just need to 'Export as Runnable Jar file" to produce something usable...

To generate a JNLP you does not need to build an .exe just follow this oracle doc: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/webstart/deploying.html

[]´s

Edited by krinosx, 29 April 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#3 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

I was after feedback more on the game, less on the issues of distributing Java based works :)

The need for natives (LWJGL) and so on make it a bit more than just 'export runnable jar', I'm sure if the game was worth of release I could Google my way to solve those type of problems ...

#4 krinosx   Members   -  Reputation: 527

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well.. I got the .zip, unpacked it and try to run the survive.exe.

Didnt work. No error messages, no log, nothing.

#5 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi, sorry, I'd missed out some of the random new Java settings that apparently are needed in Manifests now.

#6 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1590

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

The first time I ran it it crashed after I got into the game, but the second time it worked ok. But then every time after that it didn't work...

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#7 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

Anything in survive.log ?

#8 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4012

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

I used the installer to run it under windows 7...
As soon as I start a new game, it shows a message followed by a "best of luck"-ish one and, when I skip it, it crashes.

After some more tries, I realized that it crashes less times if I resize the window before entering the game.
The crash also doesn't happen if there is a game saved, but as soon as I delete the save and start a new game (without closing the application) it resumes crashing.

Starting the game via console, it spits a notable message:
setWallFolder: blue-wall doesn't have a config.txt
It doesn't seem to be related to the crash though, and happens on every run.

Aside from the crashes, I noticed it clears the 'explored' map every time I pause the game (absolute black instead of only fog of war).
The controls listed doesn't work here. Even tough I can move my character around, I can't attack.
The inventory has some !UNDEFINED! items, and if I double click some of them I "learn" something. It looks like this is just an unfinished feature, but mentioning just because it could also be some weird behavior.

Overall, a nice little prototype, keep it up!

PS: Couldn't find any file called survive.log

Edited by dejaime, 30 April 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#9 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

Could you possibly try just running Survive.jar from the ZIP file?

I uploaded a new version last night that fixes a 'stand still and it crashes' bug (which I think is due to a change in Java library behaviour but not sure)

The controls not working is interesting, I will have to look and see if the newest LWJGL library has changed something (I quickly updated it to fix the Java security changes, didn't re-test properly)

#10 Touchfuzzy   Members   -  Reputation: 106

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:36 AM

you should use rpgmaker instead. writing games in java is stupid.

#11 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

#12 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4012

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Could you possibly try just running Survive.jar from the ZIP file?
Sorry friend, but I don't have the necessary runtime environment nor plan on installing; this is the first time I happen to need it in over 6 months...

Had one too many problems with UnwantedWare and oracle products, jre included.

RPG Maker is great and all, but he'd need to hack it with a sledgehammer to create this game with it.

#13 juur   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Agree on the pain of JRE, hence I do plan to use an AOT to ship as an EXE. Whilst I'm sure this is horrible in some ways, it does solve the problem of people who don't play Minecraft. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I do wish I'd chosen something else (LÖVE i'm enjoying) to develop in.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS