• Create Account

Some questions regarding openGL's buffer system

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doublefris   Members   -  Reputation: 315

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

I have been doing some gfx programming in opengl, and have some questions about it.

1. What is the relation between a vertex array (vao) and vertex buffer object (vbo)?
  2. When I call glBindBuffer(), I am getting that the first argument is like a global 'state' that is bound to the second argument? Like 
    glBindBuffer(GL_UNIFORM_BUFFER, uniformBufferHandle)

will bind uniformbufferHandle to the uniform buffer object?

3. If 2 is what I thought, then why do I need to use glBindFramebuffer() or glBindVertexArray(), rather than calling glBindBuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, fbo) or whatever?

4. What is the relation between glVertexAttribPointer(), glEnableVertexAttribArray(), and glEnableClientState()?

Also, i'd like to know if there is some particular design philosophy that SGS chose or thing I should keep in mind. Like why they chose to go with this kind of buffer/handle design. Or some tips if you have any. I don't like calling all these opengl functions without knowing how exactly they should be used etc.

Sponsor:

#2 Kaptein   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 2146

2Likes

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

1. The VAO is used to remember states that VBOs use. You can have a VAO with multiple VBOs bound to it, where each VBO contains vertex positons, normals etc.

glBindVertexArray(vao)

glBindBuffer(..., vboVertices)

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0) // enables slot 0

glVertexAttribPointer(0, ..., offsetof(vertex_t, x))

glBindBuffer(..., vboNormals)

glEnableVertexAttribArray(1) // enables slot 1

glVertexAttribPointer(1, ..., offsetof(normals_t, nx))

A VAO can also hold just a single VBO, and also remember all the indexes at the same time. Just bind a single VBO when the VAO is bound, then enable all the indexes and inform the drivers of the offsets to each variable in your vertex structure.

VAOs are relatively simple. You create, bind, enable & set attribs, done. After that you can bind and render with them.

2. Yes, global state. Unfortunately. It's simple enough, which is what people generally like about it. It does make room for ALOT of bugs if you don't use something that hides all the interaction, like a GL wrapper that already has all of this implemented properly and is well tested. The drawback is overhead in function calls, solved by bindless future outworld technology ™ available 2020. We generally use opengl 3.x now, as that is the most common and not as horribad as 2.1.

3. Because just like ANSI-C, OpenGL has so much baggage, that it's not fun to think about it. Just try to ignore it. Of course, I think most people are unlike me and don't care about how bad an API is. BindFramebuffer isn't THAT bad. The function name makes alot of sense, and so does everything else in the APIs if you already know the usage and reasons behind them.

4. There is no relation between glEnable* and the others.

You need to have a VAO bound, and a vertex attrib array index enabled for openGL to care about it. In no particular order.

Example with 3 floats (which we will call x, y, z in our vertex structure named vertex_t):

glEnableVertexAttribArray(index)

glVertexAttribPointer(index, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(vertex_t), offsetof(vertex_t, x))

Edited by Kaptein, 03 May 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS